Author Topic: Wow! What a scorcher!!  (Read 20316 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Wow! What a scorcher!!
« Reply #150 on: 11 August, 2020, 08:47:53 am »
Gave in trying to sleep in the bedroom last night and relocated to the sofa bed in my office downstairs. When I checked it was 31.8 degrees upstairs...

That fat bolus of heat just sits up there, even opening all the windows doesn't seem to prove any encouragement for the air to move at all. It just sits there like a fat man on a sofa with an infinite supply of Pringles.

Same problem here last night. Exacerbated by the fact that we couldn't even have the windows open because of a swarm of bastard flying ants. Not that having the window open would have helped anyway, thanks to the total lack of breeze. Bedroom thermostat was showing 32ºC at 1am. Still showing 29ºC this morning.

I pointed my little handheld fan at my face, but it was just blowing hot air at me.

Unfortunately, the boy nabbed the downstairs sofa bed. Was tempted to fill the bath with ice and sleep in there.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #151 on: 11 August, 2020, 09:52:06 am »
I had to move from my office bed (which I can stretch out on and is vaguely comfortable) last night because the remote command centre wasn't much cooler than upstairs to the sofa. Now, if it's the evening and I sit down in front of the TV, the cosy embrace of that sofa will despatch me immediately to the land of sleep. The moment I need to actually sleep on it, it's a contraption of infinite tortures, the Torquemada of living room furniture. And now many cushions do we have? Good god, they never tell you about the cushions before you get married. She'll buy cushions. How many? All of them.

About 5am, I slunk back upstairs to the hotbox. I see the cat has already claimed my side of the bed.

We can't properly open the window because the 'cats might fall out' and about 8am the power tools start up or there will be a chorus of 'stand clear, lorry reversing; stand clear, lorry reversing' or that weird asthmatic noise that some of them make. I may actually go up there later today and murder everyone involved in whatever they're doing up there. Any judge would understand. I snapped and now they have drill bits in their brains.

« Reply #152 on: 11 August, 2020, 11:10:35 am »
Sounds a bit grim down south..
Move Faster and Bake Things

citoyen

« Reply #153 on: 11 August, 2020, 11:12:26 am »
Sounds a bit grim down south..

We had about 20 minutes of light rain earlier. It stopped and now the sun is burning off the cloud cover. Going to be another scorching afternoon by the look of it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #154 on: 11 August, 2020, 11:32:40 am »
We had about 20 minutes of moderately heavy rain soon after 7am. My real rain gauge recorded 1.8mm, the automatic one on the weather station 2.4mm. I'm puzzled by this as i'm accustomed to the automatic one under-recording.

On Sunday I wrote the following on the "Have you been out today?" thread:

I went out twice today. The first time, I left home at 7.50am and it felt wonderfully cool after yesterday's sweltering heat. Then I felt something most unexpected - something cold and wet hitting my forearm. The sun was shining brightly and I couldn't see anything resembling a cloud, so my first reaction was that I had been shat upon by a bird. But then more raindrops fell - big, fat ones. As I looked more carefully through the early morning haze, I could make out some clouds, but not the sort I would have expected to deliver some rain. Over the next 3 minutes I got pretty wet, but then normal service was resumed and I was dry again within another 5 minutes. When I got home, 70 minutes and almost 10 miles later, I checked the rain gauge. There was a little moisture at the bottom, but nothing I could measure.

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #155 on: 11 August, 2020, 11:51:23 am »
and about 8am the power tools start up or there will be a chorus of 'stand clear, lorry reversing; stand clear, lorry reversing' or that weird asthmatic noise that some of them make.

I can cope with that.  It's when the power tools are kicking up allergens first thing in the morning that's the bigger problem.  Antisocial strimmer bastards.  Can't they do it at night when it won't bother anyone?

« Reply #156 on: 11 August, 2020, 11:59:43 am »

We can't properly open the window because the 'cats might fall out'

We have the opposite problem. We leave the back bedroom window open to get a through draught.  Our cat generally returns via that route around 4am (the 4ft vertical leap from the log cubbyhole to the overhanging roof dispatched with nary a moments hesitation), wanders into our room, leaving the door open behind her, before settling into wherever is today's favourite sleeping spot.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #157 on: 11 August, 2020, 12:45:08 pm »
We're currently at 30C.  We had brief rumbles of thunder earlier, accompanied by a light shower, but it's still very humid.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #158 on: 11 August, 2020, 12:47:06 pm »
No rain here, maybe 20 miles north of Reg, but getting bloody humid and you can feel it building up to something, very tropical
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #159 on: 11 August, 2020, 12:57:13 pm »
and about 8am the power tools start up or there will be a chorus of 'stand clear, lorry reversing; stand clear, lorry reversing' or that weird asthmatic noise that some of them make.

I can cope with that.  It's when the power tools are kicking up allergens first thing in the morning that's the bigger problem.  Antisocial strimmer bastards.  Can't they do it at night when it won't bother anyone?

It's just the general never-ending racket. Having lived in other countries, the constant need to hit houses and drill holes in them seems to be a majorly British pastime. Just standing outside, there's a constant echo from hundreds of these projects, people hammering away on projects that will, in ten years' time, hold the same level of affection as pebbledashing.

OK, I confess we had The Asbestos Palace refurbished, mostly because it was a late 60s time capsule. And I have some sympathy because it was a six-week project that took 6 months (because they drank tea till 11am, then had to go collect something and oh look, it's 3pm time to knock off). But my sympathy evaporates in the heat, because (a) I don't like to wake up before 9am (early mornings are the sign of barbarianism) and (b) it would be nice to use my garden and lovely balcony without an accompanying chorus of power tools.

The hobbyists are the worst or the worst, some friends of ours have a lovely house but the bloke (and it's always a man) next door is engaged in a never-ending series of home improvements, so every weekend that's what they wake up to. They're mostly resigned to it now, there's evidently no endpoint to his endeavours.

We are supposed to be getting a downstairs bathroom built and the driveway redone. I've developed a purposeful amnesia regarding this project.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #160 on: 11 August, 2020, 01:21:15 pm »
34° here & climbing.

When we first came to France, shortly after J. Caesar Esq., we lived in a new tower block away south of Paris.  There's nothing like reinforced concrete for conducting the racket of a percussion drill, and with 11 brand-new storeys of four to six flats each there was always someone putting up a shelf or screwing their kids to the wall.  The first 6 months were bloody murder.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #161 on: 11 August, 2020, 03:04:32 pm »
As a small Mr Larrington in Hong Kong we lived on the 15th floor of a tower block overlooking Repulse Bay.  Property-developing bastards started demolishing the historic hotel next door.  Largely by hand.  None of yer wrecking balls or outsize bulldozers for those lads, no, it was pneumatic drills and sledgehammers.  For more than a year’s worth of skool holibobs.  The bastards.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #162 on: 11 August, 2020, 03:17:15 pm »
We're currently at 30C.  We had brief rumbles of thunder earlier, accompanied by a light shower, but it's still very humid.

It got incredibly humid here yesterday just before it went ape-shit.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #163 on: 11 August, 2020, 03:33:31 pm »
As a small Mr Larrington in Hong Kong we lived on the 15th floor of a tower block overlooking Repulse Bay.  Property-developing bastards started demolishing the historic hotel next door.  Largely by hand.  None of yer wrecking balls or outsize bulldozers for those lads, no, it was pneumatic drills and sledgehammers.  For more than a year’s worth of skool holibobs.  The bastards.

Yeah.  First year we were in our tower we thought we had an avant-garde flute-player for a neighbour, but it turned out to be a tower crane that lacked grease. Great views we had, though.

Oh aye, the first time we had MrsT's folks to stay we came home one day from a trip into Paris in around 32°C.  The air in the flat was a lot cooler but it was a bit stuffy so the Inlaw Paw obligingly opened the windows, swelter swelter.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #164 on: 11 August, 2020, 03:37:12 pm »
I can normally keep it below 24 deg C indoors if I let gulps of cold air in early in the morning then close all windows and blinds.  There was no cold air this morning and it's 25.5 and rising.  I'm sleeping in a tent on the lawn at the moment.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #165 on: 11 August, 2020, 03:40:19 pm »
I are haz an envy of Rogerzilla's tent on lawn.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

« Reply #166 on: 11 August, 2020, 04:27:26 pm »
I did think about getting the tent out, but I'm not sure it will be any cooler. Also have the problem of finding a flat enough part of the lawn to pitch it on...

ian

« Reply #167 on: 11 August, 2020, 04:45:32 pm »
I was thinking of moving to the summer house at the top of the garden, which has a sofa and nestles in the shade of a giant tree, but that's closer to Ground Zero and will just entice them to start up the pneumatic drills.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #168 on: 11 August, 2020, 08:02:28 pm »

Yeah.  First year we were in our tower we thought we had an avant-garde flute-player for a neighbour, but it turned out to be a tower crane that lacked grease. Great views we had, though.

Oh aye, the first time we had MrsT's folks to stay we came home one day from a trip into Paris in around 32°C.  The air in the flat was a lot cooler but it was a bit stuffy so the Inlaw Paw obligingly opened the windows, swelter swelter.

We had builders in last week re-laying a patio, after a morning of them wheeling barrows of mortar past my office window (bungalow) I went out to the shed.  Next time they went past I shouted "stop" in my most commanding voice. And jumped out with a can of GT85. 

I can normally keep it below 24 deg C indoors if I let gulps of cold air in early in the morning then close all windows and blinds.  There was no cold air this morning and it's 25.5 and rising.  I'm sleeping in a tent on the lawn at the moment.

I have thought of this as well, closing my bedroom windows about 3pm seems to work to some degree
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #169 on: 11 August, 2020, 08:30:00 pm »
I did think about getting the tent out, but I'm not sure it will be any cooler. Also have the problem of finding a flat enough part of the lawn to pitch it on...
keeping cool wasn't my idea at all, just lack of camping this year.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #170 on: 11 August, 2020, 11:06:59 pm »
My Shropshire correspondent (ie my brother) reports "I've never seen such continuous lightning!"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #171 on: 11 August, 2020, 11:18:33 pm »
24 deg C atm and humid.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #172 on: 11 August, 2020, 11:50:48 pm »
I don't think I've ever experienced a thunderstorm with such a high thunder and lightning to rain ratio.  Three hours of the former and about 5 minutes of the latter.

Temperature's on its way back up again now.  It reached a low of 20.8C

« Reply #173 on: 12 August, 2020, 12:05:47 am »
https://www.blitzortung.org/en/live_dynamic_maps3.php#  Live lightning map,

Sounds like what we had last night in Liverpool.  Lots of lightning & thunder, but apart from a 10 minute downpour, not much rain.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #174 on: 12 August, 2020, 07:57:57 am »
Storm seems to finally be passing over here, started around half 10 last night...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk