Author Topic: Zwifting - I think I need help!  (Read 81212 times)

Re: Zwifting - I think I need help!
« Reply #400 on: 25 May, 2021, 09:52:47 am »
My team bring the spares for me. 🤣

« Reply #401 on: 25 May, 2021, 12:13:02 pm »
My team bring the spares for me. 🤣

You may laugh but one day.. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #402 on: 25 May, 2021, 10:25:33 pm »
This new island is killing my Zwifting PC. Zwiftalizer says my frame rates are in single figures a lot of the time and although it sampled a low of 7, I'd not be surprised if it got down to 2 at times. Apparently a lot of do with CPU bottlenecking with all the tree foliage.

I already doubled the RAM and added an SSD (old parts kicking around spare), so some serious upgrades needed to be made... off to ebay...

Now I've splashed some serious cash on the problem, I've got a new CPU coming (Pentium G2030 => Xeon E3-1220) and, for the first time in this system, a graphics card (NVidia GT430, up from onboard Intel HD. Anything faster needed added power connectors, which the PSU in there doesn't have  ::-) ).
Expected system performance gain on the order of 500%. Total cost just over 30 quid  ;D ;D ;D

If it's not into double figures, I'll look at the config files for turning the leaves off ;)
Back in the saddle :)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #403 on: 25 May, 2021, 10:28:46 pm »
This new island is killing my Zwifting PC. Zwiftalizer says my frame rates are in single figures a lot of the time and although it sampled a low of 7, I'd not be surprised if it got down to 2 at times. Apparently a lot of do with CPU bottlenecking with all the tree foliage.

I already doubled the RAM and added an SSD (old parts kicking around spare), so some serious upgrades needed to be made... off to ebay...

Now I've splashed some serious cash on the problem, I've got a new CPU coming (Pentium G2030 => Xeon E3-1220) and, for the first time in this system, a graphics card (NVidia GT430, up from onboard Intel HD. Anything faster needed added power connectors, which the PSU in there doesn't have  ::-) ).
Expected system performance gain on the order of 500%. Total cost just over 30 quid  ;D ;D ;D

If it's not into double figures, I'll look at the config files for turning the leaves off ;)

Wow. My 2015 MacBook Pro i5 runs it perfectly well, at 40+ fps. Whatever your problem is, I honestly doubt it's hardware - unless it's positively ancient. Zwift really isn't demanding of hardware.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #404 on: 25 May, 2021, 10:40:10 pm »
I’m with Tim on this. Runs fine on my old iPad as well. Be surprised if it were the wrong type of leaves.

« Reply #405 on: 25 May, 2021, 10:43:01 pm »
And fine on my low-ish end Android tablet. Screen too small to see leaves, mind you.

PaulF

« Reply #406 on: 26 May, 2021, 07:21:13 am »
I’m with Tim on this. Runs fine on my old iPad as well. Be surprised if it were the wrong type of leaves.

Having said that I got a message mid-ride that said I had 5 days to install a mandatory update. The “release notes”, and I use the term with caution :-D , mentioned graphics issues in the new world.

Don’t know though if it’s just an IOS update.

« Reply #407 on: 26 May, 2021, 10:47:37 am »
Stupidly excited about the last ZRL (Zwift Racing League) event of the series tomorrow - it's on Surrey Hills, so it packs more than 1000m of climbing into 46km.  If you sort the riders in my division by 20 min W/kg, I'm top of the list, but unfortunately there are no prizes for being the winner on paper!
Great fun, finished 5th in a field of 86, scored points at all the primes, felt pretty strong throughout.  ;D

« Reply #408 on: 26 May, 2021, 10:56:24 am »
I've only done one race this season in the ZRL- too much real life going on.
I peaked too early this year with a bronze in the first race of S2

« Reply #409 on: 26 May, 2021, 11:19:53 am »
Nice!  This was my last chance to get a podium placing, cos I upgraded to A a few weeks ago and this was my last race as a B...

« Reply #410 on: 26 May, 2021, 05:24:02 pm »
1st in Harrogate UCI worlds Monday :smug:

« Reply #411 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:03:19 pm »
Tidy darts!

Because I... well, because I'm an idiot, and because I couldn't find anywhere else on the web to download it from, I transcribed The Sufferfest's Violator workout into .zwo today.  If anyone wants to do a workout with 64 sprint intervals, drop me a PM and I'll try uploading it somewhere or send it by email...

« Reply #412 on: 27 May, 2021, 11:11:21 pm »

Wow. My 2015 MacBook Pro i5 runs it perfectly well, at 40+ fps. Whatever your problem is, I honestly doubt it's hardware - unless it's positively ancient. Zwift really isn't demanding of hardware.

Oh, it's positively ancient all right.
The base PC is maybe 10 years or so old, and was probably the cheapest thing ebuyer had at the time as it was just for my wife's office work. It was running a Pentium with onboard Intel HD (just HD, not HD 2000/2500/3000 or anything!). I was amazed to find it would run Zwift in the first place - glad it did though ;)
It has been running Watopia etc ok (mind you, it took a dive in the Jungle Loop group ride during the Tour of Watopia recently with 300 rider's dust ahead of me!), but was struggling with Japan. On Zwift forums, people who have much more depth for these things than me were saying that it's bottlenecking CPUs while GPUs are sitting at maybe 60%, and they're guessing it's all the vegetation... so I'll take their word for it.

Anyhow, Zwiftalizer says my fps have gone from min/avg/max of 7/14/21 to 13/21/50 which is clearly quite a big jump; the experience has reached occasionally jerky instead of watching-it-on-a-flip-chart... that'll do for now :)
Back in the saddle :)

TimC

« Reply #413 on: 28 May, 2021, 07:38:14 am »
Yes, ok - a 2010 Pentium is indeed ancient! ;D I'm surprised it would run Zwift at all, but that's a decent performance gain for £30.

« Reply #414 on: 28 May, 2021, 12:33:49 pm »

« Reply #415 on: 28 May, 2021, 06:48:41 pm »
just wrong

« Reply #416 on: 28 May, 2021, 07:14:01 pm »
It’s probably my age, but I’m struggling to get my head around bits of Zwift.
For starters - if a ride/ etc is on the list on the right side of the initial screen can anyone join in? I’ve not tried a race, but I find some group rides let me in, some don’t show the option
- is there an etiquette or can one just join in if it’s available?
- I ( think) I get the a,b,c groupings, but why is virtually everyone pushing over 3 Watts/kilo, many over 4. Based on my experience as a Wattbike instructor I don’t believe a lot of these figures are true reality, but maybe I’m just rubbish and need to take up bowls.
There’s lots more I don’t get, but that will do for now  - thanks in advance.

TimC

« Reply #417 on: 29 May, 2021, 12:36:05 am »
Many rides and races have restricted entry, but usually you can't see those you can't enter. However, I cannot possibly claim that that's always the case!

It's fact that cheating exists on Zwift. Indeed, it's almost endemic. However, lots of people who rely on 'Zwift Power' to estimate their power output from very limited data input are probably being flattered by the system. It's also true that lots of people have discovered how to game the system by adapting the data entry protocols to give a false picture of their abilities. Of course, Zwift works on a simple algorithm of weight, height and power, and there's a degree of trust in what people enter. It should be no surprise to learn that a significant number of people aren't honest. But the study of almost any segment on Strava will lead to the same conclusion!

« Reply #418 on: 29 May, 2021, 07:43:59 am »
There can be huge inaccuracies either way. I nearly doubled my power by upgrading from basic sensors to a power-meter wheel. Looking at my TT times on Zwift and so on, I'd say that the old set-up was significantly underestimating me - indeed, I was getting a bit depressed by my inability to really get going - but the new one is being kind, to put it mildly. My height and weight figures are accurate. It does however reproduce to a large extent the way that, in real life, I roll along decently on the flat and then, beyond a certain gradient, get passed by everyone on the hills.

PaulF

« Reply #419 on: 29 May, 2021, 10:18:20 am »
I’m not too worried by any inaccuracies in Zwift’s power. It’s the only power source I have so as long as I can see what my relative changes are that’s all I need.

« Reply #420 on: 29 May, 2021, 11:19:33 am »
That goes for me too.

Although I have climbed most of the famous Pyrennean and Alpine cols and Ventoux.  In the latter case which was most recent, I found Zwift was remarkably similar to my real life experience.   

My current best effort FTP based on Wahoo Elmt Bolt, Zwift and Strava is c.210watts or 2.83 w/kg.  On most Zwift rides about a third of riders finish before I do or are faster on sprints*, although I have no idea how that is calculated.  I'm quite happy with that.

* I don't do organised races!

« Reply #421 on: 29 May, 2021, 03:13:11 pm »
Me too. I do ride club 10s (very slowly), which is how I know that my Zwift 10 times are a bit on the fast side. I've never climbed IRL anything modelled by Zwift to be able to compare that.

« Reply #422 on: 31 May, 2021, 06:41:59 am »
It’s probably my age, but I’m struggling to get my head around bits of Zwift.
For starters - if a ride/ etc is on the list on the right side of the initial screen can anyone join in? I’ve not tried a race, but I find some group rides let me in, some don’t show the option
- is there an etiquette or can one just join in if it’s available?
- I ( think) I get the a,b,c groupings, but why is virtually everyone pushing over 3 Watts/kilo, many over 4. Based on my experience as a Wattbike instructor I don’t believe a lot of these figures are true reality, but maybe I’m just rubbish and need to take up bowls.
There’s lots more I don’t get, but that will do for now  - thanks in advance.
I’ve never tried clicking the rides at the top right of the screen because I have never wanted to do them and they don’t have the appearance of being clickable.  Many aspects of Zwift are a bit ‘mystery meat navigation’, though...  I’ve only ever joined events through Companion or through the Zwifthacks calendar and the Zwift website.
I’m not sure 3w/kg is excessive for a steady Z2/Z3 ride for many riders, but YMMV.  I’ve only done a few group rides and they’ve mostly been paved as advertised.  The Pace Partners are a good way of getting easy miles in (and loads of drops, if that’s your thing).

« Reply #423 on: 31 May, 2021, 09:46:28 am »
ZwiftPower currently has even me at 2.72 W/kg over 20 minutes (2.95 for 1 minute), so riders who are actually any good would beat that easily.

« Reply #424 on: 31 May, 2021, 10:21:11 am »
Long hill climbs are always the same IME.  When I am starting out I overtake huge numbers of riders and get overtaken by many fewer.

Around two thirds of the way up, although my power is quite consistent, the situation is becoming very different; there are many fewer riders and my overtakes are increasingly rare.  A higher proportion are now overtaking me, some of them making it look effortless.  So long as I forget about them and concentrate on my own ride I almost always get there.

One ride I didn't manage was the challenge of the Four Horsemen, being underprepared and overdoing the early bits.  About 1km from the top of the Alpe and I had to pack..  Unfinished business - there'll be a next time..