Author Topic: How you buy your bikes  (Read 1130 times)

Re: How you buy your bikes
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2020, 12:06:24 pm »
I've just taken delivery of a second hand Cruzbike S40, excellently administered by the previous owner and with rather higher end componentry that I would ever have gone for. Still getting parts in like the hub dynamo, QR mudguard stay holders, and figuring what the fit is. On this occassion my brother-in-law was within 20 miles of the seller so that's how it was transacted.

Prior to that 5 yrs ago I bought a CB V2k (sofrider is its final guise) frameset and brought it back as luggage. And this was without ever having ridden a recumbent 2-wheeler. My chief reasoning was that there are an infinite number of adjustments one can make and the central plank of it all, i.e. the balance and power delivery, must be learnable so as long as I accepted I'd have to do all that again, and it was all fine. Interestingly the first CB showroom in Europe is just opening https://maialigfiets.nl/

Overall I simply had to get shot of upwrongs and now I've got what is hopefully going to be a 20yr+ bike.
Cruzbike V2k

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: How you buy your bikes
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2020, 01:09:25 pm »
I've just taken delivery of a second hand Cruzbike S40, excellently administered by the previous owner and with rather higher end componentry that I would ever have gone for. Still getting parts in like the hub dynamo, QR mudguard stay holders, and figuring what the fit is. On this occassion my brother-in-law was within 20 miles of the seller so that's how it was transacted.

Prior to that 5 yrs ago I bought a CB V2k (sofrider is its final guise) frameset and brought it back as luggage. And this was without ever having ridden a recumbent 2-wheeler. My chief reasoning was that there are an infinite number of adjustments one can make and the central plank of it all, i.e. the balance and power delivery, must be learnable so as long as I accepted I'd have to do all that again, and it was all fine. Interestingly the first CB showroom in Europe is just opening https://maialigfiets.nl/

Overall I simply had to get shot of upwrongs and now I've got what is hopefully going to be a 20yr+ bike.

Congrats on the S40

not quite the first CB shop in Europe, there is a reseller in Norway and another in France.  I also talked to them about being a UK seller but they are very poor at non-USA comms and with all that's been going on here I've not been pushing it either. I believe they also talked to KD as well.  The main issue is 13% import duty + VAT which means to stand any chance of making a profit you end up needing to charge GB£ for US$ making them look very expensive.  I can understand that import duty on uprights, but it really doesn't make much sense for the low volume oddities we ride.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens