Author Topic: Solid white line overtaking rules...  (Read 1155 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
Re: Solid white line overtaking rules...
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2020, 10:29:36 am »
What alteration would you like to see made to the rule?
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 02:26:16 pm »
The law probably qualifies as an ass re. this overtaking rule.  I can't see the enforcement regime changing, so either this means doing research & increasing the threshold to an updated '25' mph, which may be neutral or worse wrt cyclist safety.  Status quo is more likely, with cyclists being deemed to forever be doing <10mph.  I have heard that that 10mph was set aeons ago when most motor vehicles accelerated like slugs, but then the traffic density was far less than nowadays, which possibly partly nullifies the effect of faster accelerating vehicles(?)

Have I mentioned Presumed Liability..?    :)  As a potential general dampener on drivers doing stupid things around cyclists...
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2020, 02:42:34 pm »
I think the exemption for overtaking cyclists was campaigned for CTC as then was in order to reduce close passes, but I don't know where the 10mph came from. I'm sceptical that raising it to 59mph or abolishing it completely would have much effect on driver behaviour.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2020, 09:34:58 pm »
In these days of EA bikes surely there would be a case for lifting the speed to the legal limit of the electric assistance, on the grounds that an increasing number of bicycles will be doing that speed as EA grows in popularity. BITD there was an assumption that "normal" cyclists went at 10mph!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2020, 09:51:26 pm »
From what I remember a sokitely ages ago double white lines should only be being used where there is a visibility issue and set so that they suit the overtaking abilities of around 80% of road users.

Based on that If used correctly no one should be able overtake a bike, horse or road roller travelling at 10mph safely either.

Can't remember if that was from a visit to roads polis in Forfar or the local trunk road operstor in Perth.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2020, 10:12:11 pm »
My impression is that double white lines have over the years over-extended to a point where many drivers ignore them, and they have become meaningless.

I don't know what the criteria are for painting them, but I think it has ratcheted down.

Personally, I'd prefer a safe wide overtake on an otherwise safe road than a needlessly close-pass so as to not step on the cracks.

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2020, 11:13:32 pm »
I don't know what the criteria are for painting them, but I think it has ratcheted down.

I'm not sure how highway authorities ever found themselves in the business of deciding when it is or isn't safe to overtake. I supposed once you decide to ban overtaking in one particularly dangerous place, it's a slippery slope.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2020, 11:18:03 pm »
Arguably it all started when road safety came along, and that came along because leaving it up to road users to behave sensibly proved deadly.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2020, 09:12:02 am »

I'm not sure how highway authorities ever found themselves in the business of deciding when it is or isn't safe to overtake. I supposed once you decide to ban overtaking in one particularly dangerous place, it's a slippery slope.
If you are going to start somewhere a slippery slope is as good as any.