Author Topic: Bone conducting headphones - info/recommendations/advice  (Read 1305 times)

Re: Bone conducting headphones - info/recommendations/advice
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2020, 11:20:12 am »
I’ve used mine twice for running1 now and I’m a convert. I really didn’t expect them to be particularly good (memories of bone induction hearing tests) but I was surprised just how good the audio quality is. I don’t wear my glasses when running, but they don’t seem to interfere with them when I’ve worn them together. My hearing aids are broken at the moment and the clinic is shut, so I can’t comment on that combination.

Niggles?
If I turn them up loud when I’m at rest I can feel them vibrating. This isn’t a problem when I’m running.
Next to a main road, the traffic noise swamps the audio, but this is probably an artefact of my reverse ski slope deafness
My iOS devices report the battery as 100% even after 4 hours usage.

Overall I’m very happy with them.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2020, 11:24:10 am »
Next to a main road, the traffic noise swamps the audio, but this is probably an artefact of my reverse ski slope deafness

My friend reports the same.  They have normal (if anything, unusually acute) hearing.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2020, 11:28:02 am »
So my ears are acting like normal ears. There’s a first time for everything  ;)
Thanks Kim.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2020, 05:36:59 pm »
@Beardy, from experience of several pairs of these the tickly feeling wears off after a while, it's not about getting used to it, just they "wear in"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2020, 08:18:17 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the comments (and the picture).
I'm on holiday in a caravan at the moment, hence the delay in replying.
I will give a pair a go when I get home  Probably won't go for the most expensive sort, but we will see.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2020, 09:34:17 pm »
Mine are the Titanium’s, and I paid £50 on eBay for a sealed box set. It’s amazing how well they work!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2020, 09:12:52 am »
mllePB struggles with keeping "in ear" devices in so having seen and read about these I bought a pair of Aftershokz.  They work for her so I bought myself a set.

My opinion to date: 

1:  no more worries of one dropping out and becoming lost.
2:  the sound is nowhere near as rich as that from my Bose Sounds ports or B&O Beoplays but it is still very very good.  Impressive even.
3:  comfy to a fault. 
4:  I really like not blocking out my surroundings when out and about.  As I am not a music lover this isn't a problem as comedy, plays, audio books, etc come through just fine and yet I can rely upon my hearing to pick up stealth pavement cyclists, etc.  Love this bit.

Drawbacks:

1:  bespoke charging cable.  I mean really, why do the likes of Garmin and Aftershokz (and many, many more) just not adopt a standard?   

I shall use these as my default outside of the house. 

I suspect that our respective pairs of Bose Soundsport wireless earphones will become surplus to requirements. 

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2020, 09:34:13 am »
1:  bespoke charging cable.  I mean really, why do the likes of Garmin and Aftershokz (and many, many more) just not adopt a standard?   
It isn't that they haven't adopted it, they've abandoned it.  I have both Garmins and Aftershokz using standard cables, even though those two are not the same standard.

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2020, 11:17:42 am »
I'm sure my titaniums are standard micro USB for charging, same as my Garmin computers, and several other devices.  The oddball cable is the Forerunner watch.

ETA: I checked, and yes, it’s a micro USB, like many other devices I have (Garmin computers, Android phones etc.)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2020, 11:35:16 am »
mllePB struggles with keeping "in ear" devices in so having seen and read about these I bought a pair of Aftershokz.  They work for her so I bought myself a set.

My opinion to date: 

1:  no more worries of one dropping out and becoming lost.
2:  the sound is nowhere near as rich as that from my Bose Sounds ports or B&O Beoplays but it is still very very good.  Impressive even.
3:  comfy to a fault. 
4:  I really like not blocking out my surroundings when out and about.  As I am not a music lover this isn't a problem as comedy, plays, audio books, etc come through just fine and yet I can rely upon my hearing to pick up stealth pavement cyclists, etc.  Love this bit.

Drawbacks:

2: the battery monitor function lacks granularity, and I have yet to determine where the actual trigger points lie.

I shall use these as my default outside of the house. 

I suspect that our respective pairs of Bose Soundsport wireless earphones will become surplus to requirements.

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2020, 01:36:52 pm »
The AfterShokz Titanium arrived on Thursday, so got their first proper trial on Friday morning. Running with them is no problem, which is great. There is a bit of congestion round my ears with three devices there at the same time, so one ear was a bit sore by the end of the day, but I had worn them all morning while working.
So a success all round.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."