Author Topic: Nocturnal DIY's  (Read 1311 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Nocturnal DIY's
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2020, 10:46:11 pm »
I started a 300km permanent at 11.30pm from Carmarthen.  It was one of the toughest rides I've ever done, primarily because of the lack of sleep. 

But, if I can get a few hours kip beforehand, I've had some brilliant rides (mostly not entered as perms, but often around the 200km mark) starting at between 1.30am and 3am.  There is definitely a beauty to riding through a moonlit night, and I have some wonderful memories of these rides, if you can cope with the dozies.

The Hardboiled has a 2am start, which ensures a sensible finish time, and I've done a couple of 400km perms with a very early start so that I can finish in a day.  Again that gives me the chance for a short sleep before starting out.
Eddington Numbers 125 (imperial), 175 (metric) 528 (furlongs)  112 (nautical miles)

arabella

• no se porque yo no lo se
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2020, 03:47:35 pm »
I'd disagree that a 2:00 am start gives a sensible finish time - but then I'm a full value rider and the only way an 18-20 hour ride is going to work with public transport to and fro is to do it over night (same for a 400).  I think it's been discussed on some other thread though.

Last time I did a DIY 300 (which was, admittedly, over a year go now), I started round midnight and did one-way (for various reasons I had a left over return portion of a ticket).  I needed to start at midnight to get there in time for a 6pm-ish train (with room for delays) to get back home before the trains for the last leg ran out (which was at 8pm, if you're wondering - the alternative being an expensive detour via Londonton).  Being a DIY I went to bed at 9pm and had a couple of hours snooze and then pretended it was morning when I got up at 11pm.  Compete with brekky and then I was into the audax meals at funny hours (lunch 9:00am, anyone?). 

Nighttime riding is great for empty roads and the dawn chorus.  :-)

Providing there are no other lights to ruin your night vision, crappy lights aren't as crap as they might be.  But there is a lot of light pollution.
In the dark, all views are the same.

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2020, 08:01:43 pm »
I've never done a specifically nocturnal DIY but probably every DIY I've done has involved some night riding. I remember a hilly 300 down to Dorset with IanN on which we got back about 02:30. And I'm sure I've done 200s on which I've got back around midnight, having left silly late. I'm definitely not a lark and I get less lark as every year passes.

I have done two non-audax through-the-night rides: one of Rogerzilla's FNRTTS and an FNRTTC. The rides themselves were enjoyable and not in any way difficult but the instant I got on the train home, I fell asleep in both cases. So although I'm not a lark, I do need my pre-dawn sleep. I have joked that I'm more badger than owl, but then it was pointed out to me that I'm no Bernard Hinault...

Anwyaz, I love riding into but not through the night. I think almost all the reasons have been mentioned already. The only extra one is that I like to stop on a really quiet lane, turn off my lights see/hear what can be seen/heard.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...