Author Topic: WFH rejig  (Read 65225 times)

Re: WFH rejig
« Reply #250 on: 19 November, 2020, 11:20:04 am »
I'd really like a book case which was so huge it required a ladder!  Chapeau!

Got one of them.

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #251 on: 19 November, 2020, 11:32:02 am »
 ;D

ian

« Reply #252 on: 19 November, 2020, 11:43:29 am »

Dave, You need to eat more  ;D

I think he's eating well. The maid has yet to clean up after his last meal.

« Reply #253 on: 19 November, 2020, 11:45:21 am »
The bar for the ladder is 5'7" off the floor. We've got built-in cupboards (and a little vanity unit) along one side of that room that I'd love to replace one day. The idea would be to have a similar bar along the whole width (4.4m) with the lower space wardrobe space (plus the vanity unit at the end) and the upper space for some proper storage with easier access via the ladder.

The joy of 3m high ceilings.

In the "office/stufy" I was thinking of doubling up the Ikea Flysta's and having another set on top of the existing set. Not sure how I'd be able to rig any form of a ladder system though to get access to the higher ones.

« Reply #254 on: 19 November, 2020, 12:13:02 pm »
I find a litter picker useful for retrieving tomes from the top shelf.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #255 on: 19 November, 2020, 12:13:17 pm »
Our house is an L shaped bungalow with the attached garage forming the short leg. It as originally built by a local builder for himself and he squeezed in a little office for his secretary between the garage and the house. There is no access from either the house or garage you have to go outside and in the offices own door.

I've been using it as my work from home office since 2009 as even pre covid I worked form home 50% of the time.

Currently its in upheaval as I am rearranging everything. The brown desk with stuff piled on it was P.Colbeck juniors computer desk but now he is married and has a home of his own I have grabbed it form his old room. Until last week there was only the black desk and that was where the brown one is now.  I have some draws to assemble to go under the brown desk and some T-track shelving to put up then I can sort everything else out and get back to working in there, currently I'm working off the kitchen table whilst I get this sorted out. I'm planning on getting another one of the brown desk and getting rid of the black one and repainting and carpeting the room. Long term I want to build a custom L shaped desk that fits the space properly. I need a new monitor too that one is a bit small but its great quality and has lasted since 2009 !

The office is the only door that isn't a plastic double glazed one so it has a cat flap so grumpy old cat (17) can get in if she doesn't come in the house for the night or during the day if we are out.

Cat docking stations galore!
It is simpler than it looks.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #256 on: 19 November, 2020, 01:22:02 pm »

Living in a country where everyone seems to be a giant, I had to buy a ladder to be able to access a lot of my flat.

I found a small step ladder on amazon that packs down to just 40mm in depth. It's really changed how easy it is to live here. But I don't have enough books that I need a ladder for them yet, not in this country, I left most of my books in .UK :(

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Oscar's dad

« Reply #257 on: 19 November, 2020, 02:20:00 pm »
Our new friend Ben has been and gone, a very neat job...

The outside box looks more conspicuous than it actually is although we will make a well ventilated box so it blends in more with the planters.  Its incredibly quiet  :thumbsup:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #258 on: 19 November, 2020, 02:22:05 pm »
Our new friend Ben has been and gone, a very neat job...

The outside box looks more conspicuous than it actually is although we will make a well ventilated box so it blends in more with the planters.  Its incredibly quiet  :thumbsup:

Does this count as an air source heat pump?

J
--

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #259 on: 19 November, 2020, 02:27:52 pm »
Its incredibly quiet  :thumbsup:

That answers the first question that came to my mind...  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #260 on: 19 November, 2020, 03:08:48 pm »
You can't sniff an e-book. Well, you can, but I doubt it smells good.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #261 on: 19 November, 2020, 03:11:24 pm »
There's that new electronics smell which is quite satisfying.  But a well-used e-reader probably smells of keyboard, and it's generally a bad idea to sniff those.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #262 on: 19 November, 2020, 03:14:54 pm »
Living in a country where everyone seems to be a giant, I had to buy a ladder to be able to access a lot of my flat.

I found a small step ladder on amazon that packs down to just 40mm in depth. It's really changed how easy it is to live here.

Incidentally, for really low profile folding ladder, this is the one I got, really recommend it if you're tight on space so have gone up...

https://amzn.to/3ffwB1d
--

Oscar's dad

« Reply #263 on: 19 November, 2020, 03:31:04 pm »
Does this count as an air source heat pump?

Errr, no idea!  All I know is that it heats and cools and apparently it's very energy efficient.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #264 on: 19 November, 2020, 03:34:54 pm »
Its incredibly quiet  :thumbsup:

That answers the first question that came to my mind...  :thumbsup:

I've just been playing with it.  There's a low outdoor noise button and when activated the outside box is barely audible.  I've no idea what impact this setting has on the heating / cooling ability, I'm guessing its less, experience will tell, but nonetheless its impressive.  Outdoor noise was a concern as we live in a terraced house so cheek by jowl with our neighbours who we don't want to piss off.

« Reply #265 on: 19 November, 2020, 03:46:20 pm »
The desktop for my Flexispot EC1 arrived today so I can build it later.

Biggest problem is I have to dismantle and clean up the existing desk and cable mess underneath.

Busy at work and haven't managed to get out to buy the required mains extension cables yet so I may put it off until tomorrow.

Davef

« Reply #266 on: 19 November, 2020, 04:15:30 pm »

Got one of them.

It was cold when you took the photo.

« Reply #267 on: 19 November, 2020, 10:23:34 pm »

Bonus points for live feline.

Avec le chat! Yclept Part-Time.

On account of I only see her between November and March when the CH is on and she finds warm spots on the kitchen floor (or lap top) to sprawl out on. I don't feed her - she doesn't need it - someone else does that. But we both have an immense amount of fun with the laser pointer.

Blimey, an eraser shield. I’ve not seen one of those in 25 years!
That was the first thing that caught my eye.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #268 on: 19 November, 2020, 10:56:40 pm »
It was cold when you took the photo.

???

(Ah, might have been because it was an HTTP link, have updated it to HTTPS but can't modify the bit you quoted...)

« Reply #269 on: 19 November, 2020, 11:00:39 pm »
Stage 1 with stool, tidier desk, Flysta storage on left and Kallax on the right.

Obligatory golf ball on the floor for helping stave off plantar fasciitis.

Now looks like:-

with added height control can go up to this:-

Very happy with it.

« Reply #270 on: 19 November, 2020, 11:05:15 pm »
Also this:-

Cable horror:-

now looks like:-

and I've still got some tidying up to do, the two power cables going up will be tied together with a cable tidy. The black power cables will be bunched and neatened up. The desk power cable on the left won't hang down, it'll be stuck to the underside of the table leading to:-

... the reason it is a lot less messy. Power strips (white = mains, black = UPS) plus an 8 port switch stuck to the underside of the table using 3M Command strips.

Also need to get a mesh tray to handle some of the bits like laptop power brick (currently hooked onto the bottom of the monitor clamp, not ideal).

Afasoas

« Reply #271 on: 20 November, 2020, 02:13:14 am »
Looking good.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #272 on: 20 November, 2020, 05:19:38 am »

My "do I or don't I have a standing desk like yours and therefore what do I do about some sort of sitting solution which I can loose when I'm standing up" dilemma has been resolved by the new aircon.

The most obvious place to put the inside unit is over my desk.  Because I'm tall and the ceiling in the garage is quite low the aircon blows right into my face when I'm standing at the desk, which I think will be annoying; this is despite the fact that you can angle the vents on the blower do-dah.  When I'm sitting down I can angle the blower to go over my head.  This is a shame but not a biggy.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #273 on: 20 November, 2020, 07:24:52 pm »
I hastily turned the gaming corner into my home office in March. It hasn't evolved a huge amount since then. Luckily a big screen and "sex worker rated webcam" work for both uses. The rudder pedals double as comfy footrests.
I sourced "useful piece of wood" from my stash in the garage to fashion a handy headset stand on the radiator for my softphone headset. The big set of cans lurking behind the laptop screen don't do work stuff very well.

The PC is used for Teamviewer sessions with servers/users and other automata.
The laptop is work issued and used for anything that requires VPN.

I don't have a cat, but my dog is very soft.

Everyone's favourite windbreak

Chris S

« Reply #274 on: 20 November, 2020, 07:42:24 pm »
Have you mastered the art of maintaining a Space Engineers/Elite Dangerous/Warframe/No Man's Sky/Other game of choice session in the background whilst working, yet?