Author Topic: WFH rejig  (Read 65212 times)

Re: WFH rejig
« Reply #350 on: 30 November, 2020, 07:15:49 pm »
I hope your first days go well!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #351 on: 30 November, 2020, 10:29:29 pm »
I hope your first days go well!

Thanks. I'm starting the day with a CT scan, so hopefully I'll arrive at the new office with a nice healthy glow...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #352 on: 30 November, 2020, 11:15:37 pm »
I will just have Birmingham's finest hydrocarbons in me from all the traffic... Hope CT goes swiftly and well.

« Reply #353 on: 02 December, 2020, 02:38:10 pm »
Wired mouse replaced with wireless mouse.

Wireless keyboard will be delivered tomorrow according to Royal Mail.

4-pole headphone extension cable should be delivered Thu/Fri too.

Then I need to work out a way to sling the laptop under the desk (it still needs to have lots of cables sticking out of it, power and USB-C to monitor cable one side; headphones, network, HDMI to other monitor, USB to webcam, USB Garmin cable on the other side) and make it not a complete faff to get it back on to the desk if I really needed to.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #354 on: 03 December, 2020, 03:38:31 pm »
New chair required here.
FFS.
I suppose it is pantomime season, shame there wasn't much of an audience.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #355 on: 03 December, 2020, 04:04:35 pm »
Ouch! Hope your new one can arrive soon.

« Reply #356 on: 03 December, 2020, 04:06:10 pm »
Some gaffa tape and that'll be grand.

Is the bike ok?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #357 on: 03 December, 2020, 04:19:58 pm »
Hope you were wearing a helmet and hi-viz!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #358 on: 03 December, 2020, 04:24:06 pm »
Ouch. Poor design rather than old?
I hope none of those pointy bits came in contact with flesh.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #359 on: 03 December, 2020, 04:24:34 pm »
Wired mouse replaced with wireless mouse.

Wireless keyboard will be delivered tomorrow according to Royal Mail.

4-pole headphone extension cable should be delivered Thu/Fri too.

Then I need to work out a way to sling the laptop under the desk (it still needs to have lots of cables sticking out of it, power and USB-C to monitor cable one side; headphones, network, HDMI to other monitor, USB to webcam, USB Garmin cable on the other side) and make it not a complete faff to get it back on to the desk if I really needed to.

You should look at a USB-C docking station or a dongle.
I have a Dell Thunderbolt dock, so the laptop lives under the desk with a single USB-C cable. The docking station is on the desk under a monitor
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/accessories/apd/210-ARJD

Or just look for a Ugreen or similar usb-C dongle on Amazon and leave it permanently attached to monitors.
I have a USB-C monitor too, which is a good thing (TM) - it has a wired ethernet port and normal USB ports

« Reply #360 on: 03 December, 2020, 04:37:16 pm »
Ouch. Poor design rather than old?
I hope none of those pointy bits came in contact with flesh.
Old and stressed- I think I'm at its max weight limit.

The replacement will be more robust.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #361 on: 03 December, 2020, 04:39:16 pm »
Dead tree carcasses.  Never trust them.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #362 on: 03 December, 2020, 04:48:46 pm »
I've never been particularly keen on office chairs. Just don't find them as comfortable as 'normal' ones. The ability to swivel spin right round, baby, is fun but not really that useful, IME. And every office I've ever worked in has had a pile of broken office chairs, which leads me think they're an inherently weak design. Perhaps it's the single spine?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #363 on: 03 December, 2020, 05:52:28 pm »
You'd think the single spine would be the problem, but my experience of broken office chairs suggests that bit's usually properly engineered (I did have one where the gas lift got sticky, so you had to pull up to raise it, but that was only a problem if you wanted to adjust it).  The weak points seem to be the plastic parts and anything where repeated flexing wears away the metal until it develops play, which then gets exacerbated by over-tightening things to stop the wobble.  Typically they seem to get condemned because a wheel falls off, the back won't stay at the right height, or the arm-rests become detached.  Sometimes the fabric gets torn, or the fasteners come out of whatever substrate the seat pan is built around (I suspect particleboard is often involved).

As usual, you do seem to get what you pay for, with office chair quality being roughly equivalent to that of a bike of similar price.  The cheap ones simply aren't rated for a human wriggling around on them.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #364 on: 03 December, 2020, 05:59:59 pm »
As usual, you do seem to get what you pay for, with office chair quality being roughly equivalent to that of a bike of similar price. 
??
A cursory glance shows me office chairs from 23USD (Alibaba so presumably a lot more once shipping and taxes are included) to 179GPB, which is Ikea, so yes there must be some which are much more expensive but I wouldn't expect much from a new bike for 180 let alone 23.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #365 on: 03 December, 2020, 06:03:55 pm »
As usual, you do seem to get what you pay for, with office chair quality being roughly equivalent to that of a bike of similar price. 
??
A cursory glance shows me office chairs from 23USD (Alibaba so presumably a lot more once shipping and taxes are included) to 179GPB, which is Ikea, so yes there must be some which are much more expensive but I wouldn't expect much from a new bike for 180 let alone 23.

Yeahbut buying chairs from Ikea is like buying bikes from Argos.

The one I'm sitting on: https://www.posturite.co.uk/rh-logic-400-high-back-ergonomic-office-chair.html

(Bought second-hand for a couple of hundred, after barakta had a new one funded by DSA.  One of the arm-rests has a wobble and a tear in the fabric, but it hasn't been annoying enough for me to source a replacement.)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #366 on: 03 December, 2020, 06:13:45 pm »
New chair required here.
FFS.

The juxtaposition of words meant I first read that as NSFW chair... and wondered exactly what you had been doing to it!  :o
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #367 on: 03 December, 2020, 06:18:13 pm »
Dead tree carcasses.  Never trust them.

Quote from: LJK Setright
Wood is an æxcellent material for making trees but is otherwise not to be trusted.

The office chairs from the Happy Swedish Halls Of Joy are a Rubbish too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #368 on: 03 December, 2020, 06:39:51 pm »
Yeahbut buying chairs from Ikea is like buying bikes from Argos.
Argos aren't making bikes at the moment, they're only doing repairs and resprays.

(Yes, absolutely, but: buying a 1k office chair is like spending a grand on a bike – you'll only do it if you're already keen; the vast majority of office chairs in offices, not at home, are probably Ikea level at best unless you're senior management; and there's a whole sub-Ikea level of corporate furnishings whereas the equivalent sub-Argos level bikes have almost entirely died out in most of Europe.)

« Reply #369 on: 03 December, 2020, 06:59:23 pm »
Lots on Ebay, from places that haven't survived.  Herman Miller Aeron's are popular.

I've had one of these for several years & it's very comfortable. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-LEATHER-HUMANSCALE-FREEDOM-ERGONOMIC-OFFICE-TASK-CHAIR-FREE-UK-DELIVERY/303770389179
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #370 on: 03 December, 2020, 07:43:38 pm »
All of those are chair, chairs. Mine's a kneeling one, bought relatively cheap in a proof of concept way. I'd only expected to do my college homework at it, not full time work.
The replacement is costing about 4 times what I spent on the dead one.
It's rubbish for driving a sewing machine but otherwise has been great, and I think it did do its intended purpose of lessening the back pain I still get.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #371 on: 03 December, 2020, 07:47:11 pm »
I've never got on with those kneeling things (my lower back grumbles, as it often does when faced with suboptimal chair ergonomics).  Just realised that this might be because my femurs are different lengths.   :facepalm:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #372 on: 03 December, 2020, 08:00:26 pm »
I find the kneeling chairs really good and have used them for over 20 years. I, too, am at the top end of their weight allowance. After 2-3 years it’s probably worth replacing them.

I just bought a wooden one like fboab’s dead one as I find the metal frame ones much more creaky.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Afasoas

« Reply #373 on: 03 December, 2020, 08:42:47 pm »
Fortunately my employer sees the false economy in cheap office chairs - they work out a lot more expensive when you start accounting for bad backs/sick pay. Herman Miller chairs are standard issue and I was able to bring one home for WFH.

After 6 weeks using the office chair we had, my highly esteemed partner developed quite chronic and severe back pain. Another HM chair was borrowed from work until our own replacement arrived. Within a week her back pain had subsided and she has not complained of it since. If you are seated for 8+ hours a day, your derriere deserves a good chair.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #374 on: 03 December, 2020, 08:50:53 pm »
I'm still fummin' over the time Charlotte put an Aeron up for sale a couple of days after I'd bought a Terrible Thing from the Happy Swedish Halls Of Joy  >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime