Author Topic: Replacement microwave sought - advice/experience/opinion sought  (Read 992 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Replacement microwave sought - advice/experience/opinion sought
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2020, 04:57:20 pm »
Hmm, I suppose a combo one would be good if it could automate the microwave-for-a-few-minutes-then-stick-it-in-the-oven approach to baked potatoes.  Barakta occasionally fails at potation by turning the oven on, microwaving the spud, failing to set a visual reminder and then wandering off.  Spud sits in the beeping microwave while the oven sits there using power.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2020, 05:39:33 pm »
Many moons ago we were doing a house up and were reduced in the middle of the work to a standpipe in the kitchen for water and a large Samsung combi microwave oven for all our cooking. The Samsung was excellent and we had it years before donating to a friend who stuck it in the portacabin they use as a canteen at the two man engineering firm he runs. Last time I saw it it was still going strong over 20 years after we bought it.

If I was getting a stand-alone one now I think I would go for a combi just for jacket potatoes or pizza (it was brilliant at doing pizza) and for other things where the oven seems wasteful to fire up.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2020, 05:50:48 pm »
ian goes to stare at the magic control panel. Hmm.
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2020, 06:03:14 pm »
As I'm not safe with stove top cooking and prepare about half our meals, our microwave is used about two to three times a day.

slope

• Ride Fettle Ride
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2020, 06:05:04 pm »
Thank you ALL for your responses.

Being somewhat anti-social and hidden away in the world (happily up a track in Wales), one's increasing indecision and its default prevalence oft leads to confusions about stuff and things.

But no matter what I post/enquire here on YACF, there are always encouraging and helpful responses.

Feels like a darned good and blissfully diverse family  :-*

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2020, 07:37:52 pm »
Hmm, I suppose a combo one would be good if it could automate the microwave-for-a-few-minutes-then-stick-it-in-the-oven approach to baked potatoes.  Barakta occasionally fails at potation by turning the oven on, microwaving the spud, failing to set a visual reminder and then wandering off.  Spud sits in the beeping microwave while the oven sits there using power.
...by having difficulty with the bottle opener I'd expect.
Portaloos for Brexit