Author Topic: Orbea frame gear cable end stop failure  (Read 481 times)

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
Orbea frame gear cable end stop failure
« on: January 18, 2021, 10:49:43 am »
Hi All - the gear cable end stop feature on my carbon Orbea frame pulled itself out of the frame the other day. Not sure if the naming of the part is correct but it's an ali part that is built into the frame during the carbon layup and houses the outer gear cable at the head tube. When I changed gear the ali part popped out the frame so the cable is now totally slack therefore permanently putting the bike into the highest gear.

Has anyone else experienced this on an Orbea frame and more to the point what did Orbea do to rectify the situation?

The frame is a 2013 model and comes with a lifetime warranty. I've started the warranty process but it's taking ages so I thought I'd ask here in the meantime.

Cheers,
Gibbo.

Re: Orbea frame gear cable end stop failure
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 12:37:34 pm »
I'm not sure I can work our why the cable would go slack, just because an insert pops out? If anything I'd expect that to add length / tension to the cable. Now, if the cable inner broke, and the usual compression of the outer was taken away, possibly allowing the insert to come out, that would make sense to me.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 12:57:10 pm »
If I could insert an image it would be clear, clearer than my wordy attempt anyway. The cable has not come out of the insert, the insert has come away from the frame.

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 01:08:05 pm »
Is it similar to this:  https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13067626/orbea-orca-head-tube-cable-guide-broken

Yes, exactly that - thanks for the link. I'm not the first person to experience this then... Mixed reviews too. Ideally I'd like a new frame, looks like the glue and rivet fix is coming my way though. We'll see.

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 12:28:03 pm »
Eventually had a response from Orbea. They propose the glue/ rivet fix and described in the link on the Bikeradar forum so no surprises there and I'm ok with that.

Unfortunately, due to Brexit, Orbea have no mechanism, as yet, to deal with warranty returns. I'm told it will be weeks rather than months to sort. I hope so, it's not like they didn't know it was coming! In the meantime I've stripped everything from the frame under the premise that if it's not on the bike when shipped it can't get damaged.