Author Topic: Mobile Internet - options?  (Read 371 times)

Mobile Internet - options?
« on: February 01, 2021, 07:18:14 pm »
Suppose I want to work from home when not at home, as it were, what's a good option for mobile internet? My current phone contract gives 6GB of tethering per month, which won't go far.

What are the best cost-effective options? Must be able to run off 12V or easily chargeable from 12V.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
Re: Mobile Internet - options?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 08:40:34 am »
UK or international?

I'm on 3 and have unlimited data, even for tethering.

If it's work, I use the work phone and it's their problem. My work internet requirements aren't that big though, for the few days I might do it 6Gb would possibly be enough- email isn't very data hungry and I wouldn't download any of the pointlessly large pictures people send me.
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 08:45:40 am »
When we got new phones in July last year, O2 were offering a deal whereby you got 100G pcm for £20.

Unless you are doing what you are wanting to do, that amount of data is stupid, the last time I metered it (read cared about such things) we only used ~50G pcm on the home broadband, which covers 2 adults and 1 teen, Netflix/Prime/Disney+ Work and other stuffs so each of us having 100G is beyond ridiculous!

Might be worth a) checking on who has the best data coverage where you will be working remotely and b) then what is the best data offer, taking into account MVNO (Tesco, Asda, Giff Gaff etc who don't have a network themselves but piggyback off others) on that network.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 10:48:35 am »
So the best option is a phone with tethering rather than a mifi box or something similar?

Looking at my home router it was 25GB a day in January (three people WFH + one avid gamer), now down to 6GB/day for 1 WFH + 1 Gamer. So guessing, my own usage should fit in 100GB/month.

WFH consists of continuous Remote Desktop over VPN plus several hours of video calls.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 11:57:13 am »
WFH consists of continuous Remote Desktop over VPN plus several hours of video calls.

Ugh, latency.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 02:15:28 pm »
Those 3 MIFI thingies that charge from a usb cable.

Seems to work better that having a phone on and working so the battery does get hot and that can damage the phone.  Had it happen to an older phone with built in battery.