Author Topic: Tour de France 2021  (Read 55746 times)

Re: Tour de France 2021
« Reply #200 on: 30 June, 2021, 07:31:05 am »
The example yesterday of all out watts going through 3 pairs of those wheels in the last 2k of the race would suggest it's not a significant issue.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #201 on: 30 June, 2021, 08:01:08 am »
I have built a lot of wheels over four decades and have an engineering degree and I’m not following that line of thought.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #202 on: 30 June, 2021, 08:16:29 am »
Something about increased compression forces. I read it somewhere but I can't find it. Wheelbuilders put in more tension on a clincher rim, all other things being equal. I think.

Eta: Cav also broke spokes the day before yesterday.
Tubs constrict onto the rim and reduce spoke tension a bit but that's not really a good thing.

Up to the 1990s, it was fairly common to find 36 spoke wheels on top race bikes, often plain gauge.  It wasn't for strength - it was so that a wheel with a broken spoke didn't have to be changed if a spoke broke, because a plain gauge 36h wheel stays true enough to be ridden with only 35 spokes.  Spokes are vastly better now.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #203 on: 30 June, 2021, 08:18:45 am »
That has to smart a bit: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQsz1Oopuqa/

Warning - contains naked Slovenian flesh with lots of dressings.
"Novocaine makes me smile"

Yeah. I did about half of what he did on my very first 100k and was Tyrannosoreass Wreck for a fortnight afterwards.  I made myself an annular cushion out of a yoga mat to keep the pressure off.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #204 on: 30 June, 2021, 08:45:49 am »
errrm, if he crossed a wheel (as opposed to tripping over a speed bump - which I have also done) how comes nobody else was affected until they hit his wreckage?
Without wishing to defend the commentators making stuff up with an air of authority, that's how crossing a wheel works. Look at Ewan's crash - he crossed a wheel and as soon as Merlier moves sideways a touch Ewan is toast.

The Lantern Rouge youtube report points out that one of the Ineos riders actually does a signal to say there's a speed bump. Without conclusive proof, I reckon he crossed whees and then as they came off the speed bump the rider in front moved sideways a touch.

In terms of the course, that finish was a guaranteed crash. 3 right angles and then a sweeper before a really short straight? In some ways they were lucky all the crashes had thinned the bunch - imagine that final km with 3 trains and 10 sprinters, instead of 1 train and only 5 sprinters.
I've crossed wheels in a race. Neither of us crashed - it was a little unsettling for me, but it was my back wheel. Keeping it upright is much more difficult for the rider behind.

« Reply #205 on: 30 June, 2021, 08:51:26 am »
I've touched wheels from behind a couple of times and both times the front bike rode off into the distance whilst I hit the deck painfully.
However, I have 0 skillz. I'd expect pros to handle it a bit better.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #206 on: 30 June, 2021, 09:13:45 am »
Loved seeing Cav get his stage yest, BTW.  Thought he was going to pop Alaphilippe's head off at the end, he was hugging him so hard.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #207 on: 30 June, 2021, 10:05:05 am »
Really enjoyed seeing that, although I doubt he will get 3 more this tour…
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #208 on: 30 June, 2021, 11:04:41 am »
What stood out for me was just how many riders from rival teams went out of their way to congratulate him.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #209 on: 30 June, 2021, 11:38:41 am »
Credit to Alaphilippe for riding that hard to get Cav to victory, handing over the green jersey to him in the process.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #210 on: 30 June, 2021, 11:41:40 am »
Credit to Alaphilippe for riding that hard to get Cav to victory, handing over the green jersey to him in the process.
Yup, That really was something.
Rust never sleeps

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #211 on: 30 June, 2021, 12:02:46 pm »
I'm so pleased for Cav, and I'm definitely among those who dare to dream he could win a few more on this Tour! No, that was something in my eye...

« Reply #212 on: 30 June, 2021, 12:20:48 pm »
That has to smart a bit: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQsz1Oopuqa/

Warning - contains naked Slovenian flesh with lots of dressings.

Ouch.

And this is from a cycling fall?     I think it needs to be shared wider for those people who choose to ride motorcycles without protective clothing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #213 on: 30 June, 2021, 01:33:56 pm »

Aye. Didn't Cav say afterwards that it made a change to ride for a team that acted like a team?

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #214 on: 30 June, 2021, 02:14:54 pm »

« Reply #215 on: 30 June, 2021, 02:18:25 pm »
The weather's going to make today interesting - that was a bit of a moment for Bissegger which he did well to recover from.

I wonder how many of the bandaged and taped-up GC contenders are still going to give it full gas...

ETA - weather looks better now.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #216 on: 30 June, 2021, 03:26:07 pm »
Are they allowed to pack the bandages with corticosteroids?  I was prescribed them once for a heel injury and the thing healed up almost overnight.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #217 on: 30 June, 2021, 04:08:44 pm »
Cav in faster than Froome TT shock! Film at eleven seven!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #218 on: 30 June, 2021, 04:49:30 pm »
Seriously!?  Bloody hell.   Did Cav. get drier roads for his go?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #219 on: 30 June, 2021, 05:00:33 pm »
Did Froome use his road bike or something?

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #220 on: 30 June, 2021, 05:03:28 pm »
Seriously!?  Bloody hell.   Did Cav. get drier roads for his go?

IIRC Froome told Dan Friebe that he took it easy - bear in mind that Froome was rather battered on one side c/o his crash.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #221 on: 30 June, 2021, 05:38:19 pm »
Cav was well into the top half of the field :o 77/177.  He even beat Tony Martin, whom I suspect of Not Trying.

« Reply #222 on: 30 June, 2021, 05:40:02 pm »
I find Tadej's TT entirely believable.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #223 on: 30 June, 2021, 06:40:44 pm »
Did Froome use his road bike or something?

(click to show/hide)

From memory (a long but possibly patchy one) most of the winners of the TdeF have been both very good climbers and trialists.  It's sprinting that is the odd discipline out - unless you were Eddy Merckx - and only he was.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #224 on: 30 June, 2021, 06:55:05 pm »
BBC has just said that les flics have arrested a woman over the stage 1 crash.