Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 689648 times)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #6850 on: December 29, 2019, 10:25:35 pm »
This evening I shall be entertaining three ladies. This in itself is good news, but when one considers that all three are former pupils and two of them were in my class in 1981, when they were about 9, that makes me especially pleased. I can't have done everything wrong.

Edit: of course, they could be planning to murder me...

We had a wonderful evening! From left to right, Juliet, Katherine, some old geezer, Lynnette.

I am amazed, to be honest, that they remember me so fondly. They were the first class to be subject to my tender mercies in junior teaching, after 6 years in a very rough boys' secondary modern. For me, it was a very steep learning curve with help from the Dep. Head (whom I must phone tomorrow - he's 85 and lives in rural Wales) but almost no-one else. I reckon I made more mistakes teaching that class than any since.

Katherine and Juliet still live locally, Lynnette lives in Normandy. Juliet was never in my class, but I remember her because, around the age of 10, she joined the school from Spain and couldn't speak any English, so was very noticeable and needed quite a bit of guidance whether in a classroom or the playground. She told me last night that she had very fond memories of Mrs. Furby, the woman in charge of remedial teaching (as it was called in those days, "Special Needs" not yet being a thing) and after she left she used to go and visit her at her house until one day Mr. Furby answered the door with the news that his wife had been taken ill and, within 3 weeks, had died from ovarian cancer. I don't think she reached pensionable age.
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #6851 on: January 11, 2020, 11:24:06 pm »
Arising out of the above, I have just been having a good FB natter with Lynnette, who is back in France looking after guests. We covered a good deal of the past 36 years. She mentioned having nursed her dad through his past few weeks of life. I know her mum died fairly recently.

I recall both her parents well - particularly the day they came to me and asked permission to take Lynnette out of school for a few days (can't recall how many) so that they could all attend the Glastonbury Festival. I also recall my response: "Of course! I am sure it will be more memorable and educational than being stuck in a stuffy classroom!" I got a bit of stick for that from the Head Teacher - it seems I was supposed to go through official channels with such a request. However, there's a good chance he would have refused because he was such a tedious old git. I don't actually remember thinking that it would be better not to tell him, but clearly I did the right thing.

She said this:

Okay so it wasn't my 1st time then - i think I was 8 then.  I wandered off (as you could back then then - it was such an intimate festival) and on my own I stood in front of the pyramid and watched Chuck Berry/Muddy Waters and BB King - back to back 😃

No, I definitely couldn't compete with that!

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #6852 on: January 20, 2020, 10:46:24 am »
I seem to have completed my accounts for the financial year - the last set, as we wound the business up in March 2018. According to my calculations, we made a profit of £13 in the year.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #6853 on: January 20, 2020, 01:08:31 pm »
I miscalculated. The profit was actually £242. I have filled in and submitted my returns. I still don't have to pay any tax.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #6854 on: February 17, 2020, 10:44:08 am »
Over the last few days I have learned, without setting out to, the BSL for friend, cake and tea and the ASL for friend. Also learned without meeting any actual signers, but I've checked what I was told against http://www.british-sign.co.uk/british-sign-language/how-to-sign/cake/ . So, with those three words, I think my knowledge of essential signs is complete.  ;D
I do not ride a great big Mercian, gangster tanwalls, fixed cog in the back.

« Reply #6855 on: March 05, 2020, 04:08:45 pm »
Badger culling is to be replaced by vaccination  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6856 on: March 05, 2020, 05:58:42 pm »
About bloody time.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #6857 on: March 06, 2020, 07:33:01 am »
Just imagining what Carrie Symonds went through to achieve this goal turns the stomach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #6858 on: March 07, 2020, 08:41:59 am »
Just imagining what Carrie Symonds went through to achieve this goal turns the stomach.
Boris bikes - Boris bridge - Boris bonk.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #6859 on: March 20, 2020, 03:29:46 pm »
Today is the vernal equinox. The sun crossed the equator at 3.49 a.m.

Hooray! It's summer! Let's all go on hol... oh bugger.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #6860 on: March 30, 2020, 05:40:02 pm »
My son found out this morning that he's been accepted onto the Teach First training scheme...

He had a call from them today to confirm his placement - at a school just eight easily cyclable miles down the road from us! That's convenient. For him.

I was kind of hoping it would be somewhere beyond easy commuting distance so he'd have to get his own accommodation.  ;D

Of course, as things stand, he may not be able to take up the place by September anyway.

« Reply #6861 on: March 31, 2020, 08:00:58 am »

Of course, as things stand, he may not be able to take up the place by September anyway.

FWIW, the teaching employment cycle has lost its bearings. And hub. And headset. The bright spot is that coming out of it, there will likely be an unholy scramble, which means CitoyenSon is going to be well placed. He may find the TeacherTapp app useful to get a sense of what is happening "out there". (full declaration: a co-governor runs it)

« Reply #6862 on: March 31, 2020, 08:10:16 am »
Good news: found the half a chain quick link that went pingfuckit last week.
Better news: not by treading on it. My working area is also our route from bedroom to shower, so this seemed likely. In fact it had managed to land in my box of bits that are going on the bike ::)
Small things...

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #6863 on: March 31, 2020, 08:26:39 am »
The bright spot is that coming out of it, there will likely be an unholy scramble, which means CitoyenSon is going to be well placed.

He’s in an incredibly fortunate position given the current circumstances. My employer, like many others, has suspended recruiting and I imagine many new graduates are going to find it extremely difficult to find employment this summer.

He was supposed to be doing a few residential training courses over the summer, can’t see those going ahead, but they were already doing a lot of stuff online anyway, so no doubt they’ll be carrying on with the courses in some form.

« Reply #6864 on: March 31, 2020, 08:52:44 am »
The bright spot is that coming out of it, there will likely be an unholy scramble, which means CitoyenSon is going to be well placed.

He’s in an incredibly fortunate position given the current circumstances. My employer, like many others, has suspended recruiting and I imagine many new graduates are going to find it extremely difficult to find employment this summer.

He was supposed to be doing a few residential training courses over the summer, can’t see those going ahead, but they were already doing a lot of stuff online anyway, so no doubt they’ll be carrying on with the courses in some form.
My daughter has been doing teach first since September. It is very much in at the deep end (of an alligator infested swamp) but is very rewarding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #6865 on: March 31, 2020, 09:09:18 am »
My daughter has been doing teach first since September. It is very much in at the deep end (of an alligator infested swamp) but is very rewarding.

:thumbsup:

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #6866 on: April 02, 2020, 01:06:34 pm »
Our Worcester Combi boiler packed up Saturday morning - well the hot water bit did.  (Despite last being serviced in November and pronounced A-OK).  Ah, this could be a problem...

Rang our local boiler fixers (with whom we have a service contract) at 0835 Monday.  Answering machine.  Ah, this really could be a problem.

They were knocking on the door at 11am.

Parts found, boiler fixed at 11am today.

Phew......

Dodged one there methinks.

« Reply #6867 on: Yesterday at 04:20:32 pm »
I was going to order a Suntour NCX suspension seatpost for my new bike, assuming the one I have on my other bike is a 31mm. With a bit of delving I stumbled across the email from its purchase and it's a 27.2. It's not needed on the other bike, so that's £60 saved.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #6868 on: Today at 02:00:45 pm »
You could use some of that £60 you’ve saved to invest in a set of Vernier callipers.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6869 on: Today at 02:22:38 pm »
I've found my Berlin photos!

I thought I had lost the originals and only had a low res DropBox selection.

Currently carefully copying them off a failing disk...
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.