Author Topic: Zipped roll support  (Read 1343 times)

Zipped roll support
« on: 30 March, 2022, 06:46:44 pm »
I’d like to use my Carradice zipped roll more, it’s the perfect size for me. If possible though I want it away from the seatpost (mounted on saddle loops) as it’s too close to my thighs otherwise. How have others done this? I don’t want to use a bagman, it’s too heavy. Toying with the idea of one of these flipped (https://carradice.co.uk/shop/accessories/bikepacking-rack/), but wondering if there is a magic lightweight zipped roll cradle bodge that someone has invented…

Re: Zipped roll support
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2022, 07:43:45 pm »
The traditional method is to replace the seatpost strap by something longer, such as a toestrap, threaded through a short length of plastic plumbing pipe.
This pushes the bag back so the seatpost strap attachment is more or less directly below the bag loops.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2022, 11:36:17 pm »
Do you have rack mounts on the seat stays? I have a barley held away from my legs by some cord that runs from the saddle loops down to the mounts. Very light weight. Will try to get a photo tomorrow if it's of interest.

« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2022, 11:39:11 pm »
I have a topeak saddle bag under the saddle - this provides enough push to keep my carradice away from my legs ... but that's more use for a nelson than a zipped toll I guess.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2022, 10:42:54 am »
Do you have rack mounts on the seat stays? I have a barley held away from my legs by some cord that runs from the saddle loops down to the mounts. Very light weight. Will try to get a photo tomorrow if it's of interest.
Interesting... yes I do have rack mounts on the seat stays. Pics please!

« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2022, 10:49:10 am »
I have a topeak saddle bag under the saddle - this provides enough push to keep my carradice away from my legs ... but that's more use for a nelson than a zipped toll I guess.
I have the Ortlieb mount underneath the saddle atm for use with their micro bag, wonder if I can make a custom support for the zip roll that will clip into that using an old Ortlieb bag bracket, that way I can interchange easily.

« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2022, 10:56:13 am »
The traditional method is to replace the seatpost strap by something longer, such as a toestrap, threaded through a short length of plastic plumbing pipe.
This pushes the bag back so the seatpost strap attachment is more or less directly below the bag loops.

Thanks, forgot about this - have seen with larger bags. Will give it a go.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2022, 04:16:05 pm »
Interesting... yes I do have rack mounts on the seat stays. Pics please!

The first pic shows a side on view - so it doesn't hold it as far away as the plastic pipe probably would, and certainly not as far as a bagman, but for me it's enough to be comfortable and that's with a barley, with the ziproll (which I also have but on the handlebars) it would be better.  Also of course depends on the position of the rack mounts, mine aren't very far behind the seat post. I could get it further away if the cord went round the bridge but that might mess up my paintwork.
The second pic is a bit more close up to show you how I threaded the cord - I went through the straps attaching the bag to the saddle loops, but I guess you could go through the loops directly.
At the seat stay end, it's a domed head setscrew, with two oversize washers, separated by a spacer (which may have been off a V brake fitting) to make neat thing to slip the cord loop over and retain it. Cord is just tied with my best bowline - I did mean to do a proper eyelet whipping but couldn't be bothered.
Only suitable for lightweight bags, but in itself also very light.

IMG_20220331_153646 by CF1960, on Flickr
IMG_20220331_153640 by CF1960, on Flickr

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2022, 04:54:22 pm »
Like this, very lightweight! Will try with some paracord.

« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2022, 10:42:12 pm »
I like to use my Carradice zipped roll as a handlebar bag. I think I got the idea from a cover photo of Arrivee some years ago.

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #10 on: 09 April, 2022, 01:39:58 pm »
I have a home made bag similar size and shape to the zipped roll and I use the bagman QR mount. I did think that it positioned the bag further back than the saddle loops but looking at it, it is more or less the same position fore/aft, just lower down.  The QR function is very handy too.

I was surprised when you ruled it out on weight, it seems to weigh bu99er all to me so, not wanting to take it off my bike to weigh, I went to the Carradice website - they state 0.35kg!  Not believing this, I took mine off the bike and weighed it - only 130g.

Here are a couple of photos for reference - there is a saddle cover attached to the saddle loops above the Bagman QR bracket.

« Reply #11 on: 09 April, 2022, 01:54:34 pm »
As stated above, the Bagman quick-release clamp is what you want. I have a zipped roll and it's
what I use.
https://carradice.co.uk/shop/saddlebags/bagman-qr-clamp/