Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo, 1st July 2023.  (Read 19378 times)

Re: Dunwich Dynamo, 1st July 2023.
« Reply #100 on: 01 July, 2023, 05:57:24 pm »
A question for those who have done this before, how frequent are the food refuelling options?  Do I need to bring loads of snacks? 

« Reply #101 on: 01 July, 2023, 08:31:20 pm »
You should treat it as an unsupported ride. Where there are refreshment oases, there are also pretty long queues.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #102 on: 01 July, 2023, 08:47:58 pm »
You should treat it as an unsupported ride. Where there are refreshment oases, there are also pretty long queues.

Thanks.  Heads off to load pockets.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #103 on: 01 July, 2023, 09:14:02 pm »
Good luck everyone!  I'm sad I'm not doing it this year, but also relieved!

Wind, lack of rain, and temperature are favourable and you should even get a clear sunrise.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #104 on: 01 July, 2023, 09:23:02 pm »
Have fun everyone.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #105 on: 01 July, 2023, 09:48:37 pm »
I'm not doing it this year.   But at least I'm consistent,  I've not done it every year. Ever.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #106 on: 01 July, 2023, 10:02:43 pm »
Have a good one all of you - hope to do it next year.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #107 on: 01 July, 2023, 10:15:46 pm »
You've a good night for it.
Ride well y'all.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #108 on: 01 July, 2023, 10:38:42 pm »
I was tempted - being 20 years on from last time when the C+ group did it - lots of us still here on yacf.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #109 on: 01 July, 2023, 10:45:34 pm »
Ditto and the weather looks good. Unfortunately life got in the way.

To those riding through the night, have fun out there.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #110 on: 02 July, 2023, 02:32:45 am »
I just bumped into Andrewbr at the White Horse, Great Waldingfield. I queueueueued for a pint and now I’m in the queueue for food.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #111 on: 02 July, 2023, 12:23:03 pm »
Wandered to the start didn't see any YACF lot.  Saw some ACME hats but wasn't sure

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #112 on: 02 July, 2023, 03:17:20 pm »
JUst got home, having ridden from Tomsk's in Gt Dunmow to Dunwich and back.  Didn't stop at any hostelries, all looked too busy for fun, so self-sufficient on the way oout with shop stops on the way back.  Didn't hang around for the ACME crew as I was getting very cold at Dunwich so just got back on the road.

Definitely type 2 fun, but I may contemplate doing it from London next year, and train back.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #113 on: 02 July, 2023, 03:32:59 pm »
What were numbers like?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #114 on: 02 July, 2023, 03:45:44 pm »
JUst got home, having ridden from Tomsk's in Gt Dunmow to Dunwich and back.  Didn't stop at any hostelries, all looked too busy for fun, so self-sufficient on the way oout with shop stops on the way back.  Didn't hang around for the ACME crew as I was getting very cold at Dunwich so just got back on the road.

Definitely type 2 fun, but I may contemplate doing it from London next year, and train back.
My bold.
Unless Greater Angrier have a change of heart, you are unlikely to be able to put your bike on one of their trains on the Sunday which follows The Dun Run or, I believe, the Monday.
Your only option may be the coaches/furniture vans organised by LCC Southwark.
If you are precious about your paintwork, I'd give that a miss and do as I did for a few years, and get someone who owes you a favour to come and collect you by car.

ElyDave

« Reply #115 on: 02 July, 2023, 04:26:56 pm »

My bold.
Unless Greater Angrier have a change of heart, you are unlikely to be able to put your bike on one of their trains on the Sunday which follows The Dun Run or, I believe, the Monday.
If you are precious about your paintwork, I'd give that a miss and do as I did for a few years, and get someone who owes you a favour to come and collect you by car.
Even considering e.g. trains from the Norwich to Ely line?

I could always leave my car somewhere and take that option.

« Reply #116 on: 02 July, 2023, 04:48:37 pm »

My bold.

Dunno.
The last few times I did it I rode on to Diss and caught the train back from there to LST without issue.
Not sure whether or not that would be the case these days.

« Reply #117 on: 02 July, 2023, 05:01:44 pm »

My bold.

Dunno.
The last few times I did it I rode on to Diss and caught the train back from there to LST without issue.
Not sure whether or not that would be the case these days.
I got told that I shouldn't be allowed on the train by the guard. Great Yarmouth to Thetford. I actually got back with no issues, but ridiculous overkill of a policy when I've nothing to do with the dynamo and nowhere near it!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #118 on: 02 July, 2023, 05:48:14 pm »

Driving any distance after an all night cycle ride strikes me as not a wise move at all .
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #119 on: 02 July, 2023, 06:06:13 pm »
^
This.
We've at least one instance on record of an RTA fatality where the driver was on his way home following an overnight bike ride.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #120 on: 02 July, 2023, 06:31:31 pm »
Quite.  Which isn't to say that the leaving the car somewhere strategy isn't a reasonable one, iff the somewhere includes facilities for a decent amount of sleep.

ElyDave

« Reply #121 on: 02 July, 2023, 06:52:22 pm »
Which is what I did today, load up, get coffee, sleep 30 min while coffee kicks in

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #122 on: 02 July, 2023, 07:12:49 pm »
I started from Tomsk's abode (many thanks for the hospitality, by the way) at the same time as Ely Dave (good to meet you!), Jellylegs (likewise) and (I think) 4 other people whose names went in one ear and out the other. I didn't see any of them again.

I kept up a decent pace, stopping in Castle Hedingham for half a peanut butty that I had taken, and again at the White Horse in Great Waldingfield, where being Billy No Mates was suboptimal, because I had to joined one queueueue for beer (a very good pint of Yard Ale, if I recall correctly) and then another for calories. I had a very tasty jumbo sausage in a bun with onions (wasn't that a Beatles song back in the day?). It didn't take me all that long and I was soon on the road again. I was in GW around 2.30, I think, and away again by about 3.20 so at least 2 hours ahead of my normal schedule.

I plodded on towards Gosbeck, all the time realising that the pain was increasing, mostly in my wrists - I haven't had a rheumatoid arthritis attack for quite a long time - but also my arse. I stopped at Needham Lakes, where the bogs were open, but there was a large queueueue for the gents. I had had the foresight to pack my radar key so used that one, had a natter to a few people, and arrived at the community centre at 5.20, with 23% of my battery still showing. I plugged it in, bought a "meal deal" (egg & bacon bap, Snickers bar and a cup of coffee) and sat outside in the cold dawn light thinking that this wasn't such a great idea after all. I needed at least 2 hours on charge, I thought, to be able to get to the beach and back to Terry's, but my hand was forced by the community centre closing at 7.30. As I progressed it became increasingly clear that the first of those two objectives wasn't going to happen. I was relying more and more upon the electric motor to get me up hills, I was feeling distinctly queasy from a surfeit of greasy food at an unaccustomed hour, I didn't fancy a swim and there was no way I could to justice to a Flora Breakfast. At 9am I rolled up at Terry's house, where he provided tea and offered calories, which in the first instance I declined, but accepted an hour or so later when his wife Janet had returned from her standard Sunday Morning activity of scavenging at a car boot sale. After a good natter, Terry dropped me off at Darsham station for the 11.44 and we'll go back in the car on Thursday to pick my bike up.

So that's it. My Dun Run days are over - I think that's 10 completed, and a cut-down version DNFd. Anno domini have caught up with me. I'll be 70 when next year's is on, and I shall stay in bed and think of everyone else.

I met a few people I knew - Andrewbr and another guy who recognised me from the Simon Legg era of FNRttC, at Great Waldingfield, and a few other people I nattered to who had seen my posts on Farcebook. I'm not entirely sure of the distance because I left the computer on the bike at Terry's but it was at least 125k, which must be my longest ride since my last Dun Run with Kim and some poor chap called Brian, who was recruited as a stoker but just wasn't rated for more than 50 miles. Poor Brian has since contracted Parkinson's disease, but I note from FB that he completed his 5th DD this morning, starting at 5.30pm and arriving at the beach at 8.30am.

It's a totally different ride now, and I blame Bradley Wiggins. Since 2012, lots of people have gone out and bought respectably good road bikes, and have become respectably good at riding them. The food stops are running out of customers long before a putative Team Slow would put in an appearance. When I cycled through Peasenhall high street, I didn't see a single cyclist, and in the Old Days there would have been lots coming through at that time. I think it had been at least 20 minutes since I saw my last one.

So long, and thanks for all the milk.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

« Reply #123 on: 02 July, 2023, 07:32:28 pm »
Great to put a face to a name Wow, and shame the plan didn't quite work out for you.

I my case, with about 250km in around 13-13.5 hours elapsed it's a great confidence booster that 200 Audaxes are within my range.  I've been very trepidatious since my SMIDSY 4 years ago.

« Reply #124 on: 02 July, 2023, 07:47:04 pm »
Well done, Wow. 
Chapeau! :thumbsup: