Author Topic: Songs your parents played to you when you were young  (Read 2735 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Songs your parents played to you when you were young
« Reply #25 on: 11 September, 2022, 11:19:26 pm »
Honourable mention to The Carpenters, and to ABBA, who we got stuck with after the eject mechanism b0rked, until the car eventually failed its MOT.
Which immediately tells us that whatever ABBA tape it was that got stuck, it wasn't Arrival, as that would have meant the car failing its Certificate of Airworthiness.

By process of playlist elimination, I've determined it was The Album.

Experiencing music through the medium of cassettes with no case (because dashboard mounted tape holder) is a bit like when you're too young to read.  You end up making up your own names for the songs, which may or may not have any bearing on reality.

(My favourite track on that one was 'Ocean'.)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

« Reply #27 on: 12 September, 2022, 01:09:44 am »
Weird for sound!

« Reply #28 on: 12 September, 2022, 01:37:29 am »
My Mam was a good, sight-reading pianist and I often sang with her.   My abiding memory, though not quite the only one, was a vocal version of the Harry Lime theme, a zither composition by Anton Karas, which was the theme tune from the greatest film ever made, thus far - "The Third Man".  I haven't sung or read it for nearly 70 years, but I'll have a go now (you have to imagine the tune):-

In a little cafe in Vienna, there's a man who plays the zither like you've never heard it played before
He plays such melodies, sweet notes and harmonies you will adore
Music that makes you dance with a feeling of real romance
When you've heard him play I know that you will ask for more
(Maestro play an encore!)

"Am I right,  aaagh?" as bullet crack breaks the spell (borrowed from Mister Memory Man in the second best film "The 39 Steps"!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #29 on: 12 September, 2022, 07:52:47 am »
We had a great big black upright piano with holes were the candlesticks had been removed. My dad got mightily pissed off when it was delivered because the workies got it up the steps then pushed it through the hall on its castors and left indented tracks in the parquet.

My mum used to hammer out the Radetzky March, chunks of 1920s/30s musicals, light opera, Chopin and a bunch of other classical stuff. None of your jazzy rubbish, alas.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 12 September, 2022, 07:59:30 am »
Fair point.

Barry White's Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe was also a notable skipper.

You do realise that recording is probably responsible for you?  Given that the Walrus of Love's records were only ever bought with one activity in mind?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #31 on: 12 September, 2022, 10:31:20 am »
Nothing, they didn’t possess a radiogram nor records. No idea why, it wasn’t a money thing.

ETA on reflection it may be because my father was deaf in in one ear (the result of a motorcycle accident on the Hogs Back). We never had the car radio on either.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #32 on: 12 September, 2022, 10:37:30 am »
Alexandra Palace on Saturday mornings with Children's Favourites. Three Wheels on my Waggon, mice with cloggs on etc. On a (mono) radiogram that took an age to warm up but the rich warm sound of which, I have yet to hear matched with modern kit.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: 12 September, 2022, 11:58:53 am »
Neil Sedaka on long car journeys.  :D

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #34 on: 12 September, 2022, 02:16:03 pm »
Neil Sedaka on long car journeys.  :D

Is that why you took up cycling?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #35 on: 12 September, 2022, 04:44:29 pm »
The Carpenters, Elvis and the Everly Brothers.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 12 September, 2022, 05:12:39 pm »
Oh, I forgot Elvis.  He was a latecomer, on account of my mum's record collection having been safely in Grandma's loft for decades until our housing situation crystallised in the later half of the 1980s.  My brother thought he was brilliant, until he grew up and learned that The King was too old and dead to be cool.