Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2211403 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #10650 on: 05 December, 2015, 12:13:17 pm »
fettled the tacx rollers to make them quieter. bearings sit loosely in the roller sockets so i used scotch tape to remove the play and used threadlocker to attach inner bearing races to the axles. the noise is more acceptable now.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10651 on: 05 December, 2015, 01:04:47 pm »
Put the studded tyres on the commuter.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10652 on: 05 December, 2015, 06:38:08 pm »
Emergency temporary fettling of the garden fence.

It's the main fence along the back of the garden, the back lane is on the other side.
It's the original fence from when the place was built in the 1970s.
It's been slowly disintegrating, and I've been patching up the worst of it for 10 years.
But the uprights are basically rotten.

Last night's storms were just a bit too much for it, and several of the uprights gave way where they come out of the ground, and the fence was mostly heeled over at about 45 degrees or more out into the lane.

It's terminal, and will need replaced.
But in the meantime, a bunch of heaving and ho-ing, it's propped in a vaguely vertical if somewhat wonky orientation.
Several of the fence boards are now re-purposed as temporary props.

Replacement smells expensive.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10653 on: 06 December, 2015, 08:32:25 pm »
New batteries in a mudguard taillight, new front brake blocks and new jockey pulleys for HK's cyclocross-based Condor commuter. I was hoping that the chain occasionally crawling off the lower tension pulley was due to wear but no such luck. Now hunting for the hanger alignment tool and hoping that the non-replaceable Al hanger stays together.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10654 on: 06 December, 2015, 09:51:08 pm »
i supposose you know the trick of using a spare wheel and scewing the axle into the hanger and making both wheels parallel

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10655 on: 06 December, 2015, 10:46:14 pm »
Yes but I prefer to use the proper alignment tool, particularly when I've got one.

« Reply #10656 on: 12 December, 2015, 11:29:06 am »
I swapped wheels on the commuter over to a dynohubbed one and wired in the light; a rather stunningly bright B&M one with running lights and 80 lumens. This involved a Marathon Plus change that went surprisingly well. I also hacked an inch off the propstand so it won't be as precarious. All I need to do to finish off is to find the cable ties to stop the wires getting in the way of the spokes. Oh and the new rotor is thicker than the old one, so I need to recall how to adjust the BB7...

I gave up on swapping the Birdy stem over to the comfort one. I have no idea of how to tackle that and YouTube didn't come up with anything either.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10657 on: 12 December, 2015, 03:21:06 pm »
Turn the red thumbwheel anticlockwise or use T25 key in the screw head
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #10658 on: 12 December, 2015, 04:00:11 pm »
While you are at it, AWL, take the adjuster all the way out and whack some grease on the thread, it only takes a second and saves a lot of swearing later!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #10659 on: 12 December, 2015, 07:43:35 pm »
Ithanyow
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10660 on: 12 December, 2015, 07:46:37 pm »
While you are at it, AWL, take the adjuster all the way out and whack some grease on the thread, it only takes a second and saves a lot of swearing later!

I find they benefit from this sort of thing on an annual basis.  Well, depending on the mileage and conditions.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10661 on: 12 December, 2015, 08:16:19 pm »
Now that the freehub has arrived and I managed t get to the LBS to buy new bearings, I finished my hub overhaul today so the gym looks less like a wheel workshop.

Also finished the fuselage on my balsawood glider, shaping the nosecone from a solid block was trickier than I thought. 

The most serious part of the structure next, the wings, which have a change of angle about a third of the way out.  Study plans first.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10662 on: 12 December, 2015, 09:54:05 pm »
Replaced the rear tube on somebody's Brompton at a pub stop. He will need to fit new tyres, brake pads, gear and brake cables, top derailleur pulley and rear mudguard shortly (it was already broken).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10663 on: 14 December, 2015, 06:11:21 pm »
Modified barakta's new monitor arm for bolt-through mounting, as it inexplicably lacks this option, and mounted it to her desk (which has steel structure all along the back edge, precluding a clamp mount).  Without breaking anything.

This was easier than getting the DSA people to sort it out.

« Reply #10664 on: 14 December, 2015, 06:20:09 pm »
Replaced the rear tube on somebody's Brompton at a pub stop. He will need to fit new tyres, brake pads, gear and brake cables, top derailleur pulley and rear mudguard shortly (it was already broken).

Pffft. Unserious cyclists, eh ?  :)

« Reply #10665 on: 14 December, 2015, 10:57:00 pm »
New bearings in the rear hub on my Dave Yates. Might have left it a bit late, given the racket it was making last week, and the amount of swearing it took to get the old ones out...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10666 on: 16 December, 2015, 11:18:57 pm »
did a rim transplant today, tensioned, dished, stress relieved, only the final truing is left to do. spokes were 3mm too long for a new rim, but worked just fine.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10667 on: 17 December, 2015, 07:55:08 pm »
Put the christmas tree up. Well, it was only 10cm but it did involve molishing it from perspex first, then soldering the bits together, after which one of the others at the Makerspace showed me how to do solderless joins by making springs out of the component legs.
Tree front by David Martin, on Flickr
Tree back before wiring by David Martin, on Flickr
Battery holder by David Martin, on Flickr
Tree alight by David Martin, on Flickr

The bit that pleased me the most was the battery holder design. It worked perfectly straight off.
Here is a wee video of it in action. The LEDs are auto flashy colour change built in ones. And the 'tinsel' is actually functional. I thought it was more fun to use the wires like that.

https://youtu.be/78VaooSWOpY

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #10668 on: 18 December, 2015, 04:53:33 pm »
Don't know whether this counts as fettling, but I dug up the Xmas tree - for the 4th time in its short life - and transplanted it into a large pot ready to be decorated by the grandkids on Monday.  Perhaps because of this intermittent bonsai treatment, the tree is still less than a metre tall, but apparently in good health. One of these years we might be needing a JCB.

Not really my idea, but if I didn't do this my wife would insist on buying a 'real' tree.  Have you seen the price of them? ::-)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10669 on: 18 December, 2015, 08:38:55 pm »
did a rim transplant today, tensioned, dished, stress relieved, only the final truing is left to do. spokes were 3mm too long for a new rim, but worked just fine.

finished truing the wheel; trued another one as well while i was at it.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #10670 on: 18 December, 2015, 08:50:32 pm »
Fettling wheels is very therapeutic, I find.  I took the (rear) wheel off the turbo last week; it'd been on there for years, and was old before then.  There was absolutely no lateral deviation, but I'd never been completely happy about its roundness. 20 mins or so and it was just about spot-on.  Before replacing the tyre I examined the wheel bearings, which were fine, and the freewheel body, which was just about shot.  Little sense in replacing the body - which might have been tricky anyway, as it was six-speed, so I junked the wheel.

I suppose I should/might have been annoyed that I'd 'wasted' my time, but not at all. Must spend more time building and fettling wheels in future  :D

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #10671 on: 18 December, 2015, 09:20:18 pm »
Busy-ish day for me:

1 Replaced small glass panel in front door at home after locking myself out and having to smash glass to reach lock
2 Fitted window obscuring foil to bedroom windows at a rental flat we own
3 Fitted exterior PIR lamp at 2
4 Cleaned a massive amount of slurry from Ti winter bike (courtesy of the local Sustrans NCN Route 5 old railway line) picked up yesterday when hurrying home in the rain and not using my usual on-road route
5 Fitted tyres and tubes to new set of wheels for bike in 4 - refitted one that had a dud patch in the tube.
6 While I was at it, cleaned cassette from 4 in the ultra-sonic bath machine

Rob

« Reply #10672 on: 19 December, 2015, 04:35:24 pm »
Swapped 12-30 cassette for an 11-32, now that they're available in 10-speed Tiagra flavour. Combined with the triple that should give me some nice low gears. :D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10673 on: 19 December, 2015, 08:23:46 pm »
The removal of forty-seven pence and one USAnian cent from the drain filter seems to have restored the ability of my washing machine to spin at mighty speeds.  It hasn't altogether removed the nasty graunching noises though, so I suspect more legal tender yet lurks in the depths of the drain pump chiz.

At least it wasn't the gearbox.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10674 on: 19 December, 2015, 10:56:05 pm »
Race blades on the recumbent, went sort of OK

Then spent two hours sorting out the consequences of a win10 upgrade
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens