Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2205228 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #11225 on: 01 July, 2016, 01:59:41 pm »
My Birdy Blue had been sitting idle in the garage for far too long since I bought it off Simon OTP. As I want to use it on my summer trips, I decided to try to fit the comfort stem I bought cheaply off the CTC forum. I feared the worst; i.e. That it would be very tricky. In reality, it was a relative piece piece of cake. Even the cables, which I feared would be too short after fitting the higher stem, were fine even on the highest setting. It just entailed an upside down SFN, a couple of hex bolts and some brute force.

I'll see what tyres are available in the 18" size. The Stelvios on it lack tread for my proposed use.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11226 on: 01 July, 2016, 02:11:27 pm »
Marathons might be a good choice.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #11227 on: 01 July, 2016, 04:20:20 pm »
Yep, that's what I plumped for after a rather frustrating search.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #11228 on: 02 July, 2016, 10:56:28 am »
Built the first of two BBQs, one for us, the other for my younger brother. The one today was for us, it's a combined BBQs and smoker. The smoker part may get tested later!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #11229 on: 02 July, 2016, 05:45:34 pm »
Oh, then I lost one half of the joining link.  ::-)

My garden is full of those.  ::-)

The spaces between my floorboards are too. :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11230 on: 02 July, 2016, 06:41:53 pm »
Archaeologists several millennia into the future will discover them and puzzle; what exactly did people of the 21st century do with these small, strangely shaped pieces of metal? Why did they cast them on the earth? Could they have been an offering for the god of the soil?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11231 on: 03 July, 2016, 12:24:25 pm »
Fettled some canes and netting into a demountable fruit cage using some nifty little connectors and clothes pegs.

Also got some more bits of the M5 build done, spread the rear forks by a few mm and refitted the derailleur.  Chain this evening/afternoon, may even get a short test ride this week.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11232 on: 03 July, 2016, 02:45:48 pm »
GT-85: 1  Seized limit screw: 0

Only took a week.

« Reply #11233 on: 03 July, 2016, 02:59:02 pm »
The kitchen sink hasn't been draining as readily as it might.
I've been administering (legal) chemicals over the last couple of weeks, without avail.
I am reluctant to use the contents of a container I have in the shed, after my last experience with the bathroom sink.
This is the one I bought a few years ago from my local, friendly builder's merchant, the sale of which was closed with the words 'Don't tell anyone I sold you this'  :o

In the absence of the nuking it from orbit option, I realised I was going to have to get mechanical on the sink's ass.

Oh man! Who put this f*ing house together?
I started to remove the water trap, a circular affair, the bottom half of which pokes through a hole that someone has helpfully cut in the shelf in the cupboard.
Only the hole isn’t actually large enough to allow the trap to pass through it. :facepalm:
You find this out only once you have unscrewed it sufficiently that it starts to release its contents into the bowl I have strategically placed below it (Smart I am, like that)
So then begins the tricky process of doing up the trap (while it continues to release its contents) in order to figure out what to do next.
Once the flow is stemmed, I begin to realise that the only way the trap is going to come off is as the last item to be removed.
The first one being the removal of the sink, taps and all, from the worktop.
It is at this point that I start muttering things like ‘What cnut put this together? I’ve no intention of removing the sink!

I allowed some time to pass, and some thought to take place, before it became apparent that I might be in with a chance if I unscrewed the (home-made) shelf brackets, working from under the shelf, and dropping the shelf giving me unabated access to the trap.
This turned out to be the result I was looking for \o/
I dropped the shelf, having decided that, once the plumbing has been dealt with, I would jig-saw a larger hole in the shelf to avoid these shenanigans ever having to take place again.

The trap turned out to be mostly empty, with just a surface layer of scaly kak, so lets move down the line and open up the first rodding eye (still under the sink).
I removed the cap and Oh my! There is no bore to the pipe. It be solid. Full. With at least 16 years worth of drainskog, and probably more. Like from when the house-conversion was done in 1984.
I wasn’t going to be able to deal with this just with a long (No. 2 tool kit) screwdriver.
Out came the drain springs, and into the skog they went.
What I pulled from there was little different to excrement, but not the excrement of any creature known on this planet.
Bleargh! :sick:
I extracted what I could / was prepared to do, into the washing up bowel [sic], replaced the cap, flushed, and repeated the extracting / flush process a couple of times before moving on to the rodding eye which is outdoors.
That turned out to be less unpleasant. Thinking about it, I’m not entirely sure how it could’ve been more unpleasant.

So, now I have a sink which drains readily \o/.
I’ve jig-sawed a larger hole in the shelf (that’ll go back in exactly the same way it came out - after the water trap is back in)  and gone for the final assembly of the water trap.
Only I cannot stop it from drip, drip leaking.
Turns out that the o-ring which interfaces the two halves of the trap, is misshapen :( and will not seal.
I give the join a couple of turns of single-wrap PTFE tape (I know you’re not supposed to use this on plastic fittings, but we are talking desperation here…)
That passed the hot water seal test, but failed the cold water one :(
Drip, drip, drip.
Dismantled the trap again, removed the single-wrap, and gave the thread many turns of conventional PTFE tape and re-assembled.
It passed the hot water seal test.
Here’s the Jesus trick - After running hot water through the trap for a few minutes, when everything has expanded a bit, you can get another half turn from the fittings before running them with cold to contract everything again.
I’ve repeated the heat-up / tighten-up and cooool thing twice now, shelf has gone back in, and finally, I think we are ready to go to sea.

Only once during this process, did I do the schoolboy error of sending something down the sink plug-hole when the trap wasn’t in place. Luckily the bowl was, and caught the contents.

I think there is some justification in my enjoyment of this glass of Sauvvy Blanc.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11234 on: 03 July, 2016, 06:09:15 pm »
Sounds like a satisfying,  if disgusting day  :thumbsup:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #11235 on: 03 July, 2016, 06:51:42 pm »
Sounds like a satisfying,  if disgusting day  :thumbsup:
I think you've nailed it.
I think I could've probably hammered one in to it  :sick:
ETA: How is it that I am sure that you are familiar with every move in the above described process? ;)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11236 on: 03 July, 2016, 08:37:02 pm »
My front shifter.

It packed up in the Peak District, which made some of them thar hills a bit grindy.

Got the bike home, cleaned ten tonnes of skog off it, peeled back the hood, removed the wee cover and saw no cable nipple where one should be. Did see the cable nipple wedged against the roundy gubbins.  Presumably a combination of the mech not moving (see skog above) and me changing to the small ring position allowed the nipple to get out of its recess.

Loosened t'other end of the cable, poked around with a variety of pointed instruments and got the nipple where it should oughter be.

Yay.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #11237 on: 03 July, 2016, 08:45:25 pm »
My front shifter.

It packed up in the Peak District, which made some of them thar hills a bit grindy.

Got the bike home, cleaned ten tonnes of skog off it, peeled back the hood, removed the wee cover and saw no cable nipple where one should be. Did see the cable nipple wedged against the roundy gubbins.  Presumably a combination of the mech not moving (see skog above) and me changing to the small ring position allowed the nipple to get out of its recess.

Loosened t'other end of the cable, poked around with a variety of pointed instruments and got the nipple where it should oughter be.

Yay.

Sounds like a result.  :thumbsup:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11238 on: 05 July, 2016, 09:10:21 pm »
The lawn mower.
Whilst cutting the grass, there was a bang, followed by the release of a small amount of what I assumed was magic smoke from the handle/switch.

My guess was that the power lead had come loose in the switch and wires had been crossed.

However, the  next thing to happen was for a thin slug to crawl out of a hole in the switch.

Unscrewing the cover showed no damage, so I suspect either the slug or its slime caused a short.

Reset the breaker on the distribution board and all was well.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11239 on: 06 July, 2016, 12:39:22 am »
That must have hurt.  Sluggenfreude.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11240 on: 06 July, 2016, 02:55:04 am »
Evil: [...] God isn't interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how He spends His time! Forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!
Robert: Slugs.
Evil: Slugs! He created slugs. They can't hear! They can't speak! They can't operate machinery! I mean, are we not in the hands of a lunatic?... If I were creating a world, I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, day one! [zaps one of his minions accidentally, minion screams] Sorry.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #11241 on: 08 July, 2016, 06:15:27 pm »
Potd  ;D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #11242 on: 10 July, 2016, 02:54:41 pm »
Swapped the 35mm knobblies from the Arkose out for 28mm slicks, which are more suitable for the sort of riding I'll be doing most of the time. Also put some clip-on mudguards on it as a temporary measure until I fit some proper ones, and put a new saddle on as the stock one looks nasty. All ready for its first ride now. :thumbsup:

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #11243 on: 11 July, 2016, 12:01:26 am »
Put the front chainset back on the, Taylor Victorian, Tandem trike, loaned it to a friend and then swapped it for an electric piano.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11244 on: 11 July, 2016, 09:41:41 am »
In 1970 a chum of mine swapped a 1953 Ford Popular for a typewriter.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11245 on: 12 July, 2016, 12:55:34 pm »
Changed the bars on the Spacer. Getting the levers off the old ones was a bit of work, due to the odd kink in the drops (part of the reason I wanted to change them). Taping the new ones up went ok. At least, it feels comfy but one side threatens to unravel at the end. Feline otp once demonstrated how to do it; she's a master due to it being similar to bandaging a cat or dog's leg. Today I fear she would not have been proud of her pupil. Still, it's done and it's not a disaster (cept I forgot that I had meant to change the brake cable while it was exposed – never mind, it's still in good condition).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11246 on: 13 July, 2016, 11:01:33 pm »
i have mostly built the wood store.  It needed some fettling, specifically dismantling the roof and re-assembling it so it would actually fit properly.  Terrier nails are not easy to remove.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11247 on: 14 July, 2016, 08:53:44 am »
fettled the lid of a KT tape container into an idler guard for the M5, hopefully preventing the tendency to bite my inner thigh.

Said lid turned out just the right diameter and relatively easy to remodel with a hacksaw.

Now I have three colour schemes going on - black, silver and orange.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11248 on: 16 July, 2016, 01:03:16 pm »
Flintmined the tyres and brake pads on HK's Condor commuter, replaced the rear mudguard light, trimmed the mudguard stays and adjusted the front brake. Ordered new brake and gear levers for it as the LH XT brake lever is currently held together with a ziptie and the separate LH XT Rapidfire shifter is sticking and not responding adequately to lubrication.

Flintmined the tyres and pads on the Frezoni, stopped both mudguards from rattling and readjusted the saddle to the right height after Nick rode it at PBP Audax. I must give it a good clean and new handlebar tape soon, along with replacing the bottom bracket with a Centaur so that the BB can be handed down to the fixed.

Ditto with tyres/ pads on the fixed, tweaked the front brake pads, chain tension and rear mudguard.

Fitted a new headset to my trike but chickened out on triking round tomorrow's 200. Still need to swap the captain's bars from the racing tandem with the trike but no urgency for that. Eventually the burnt paint round the head tube needs to be touched up or repainted.

Dismantled my Moulton for some metalwork in the next couple of weeks and put the other pieces in the loft.

Removed an Ergopower from HK's Moulton to be rebuilt, probably at Condor.

Replaced a set of brake pads on HK's trike.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11249 on: 16 July, 2016, 11:32:31 pm »
Failed to make my BB7 achieve the combination of  a) good braking  and  b) not making a noise like a giant metallic wasp on fast descents

On roadside inspection, it appears that the problem is that as the moving pad backs away from the disc it sits diagonally at the end of its travel, causing rubbing along the bottom edge.  If you apply some pull on the lever it straightens itself out without touching the disc.

I've got a couple of ideas, but I need to be in a brake-fettling mood first...