Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2212305 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #18000 on: 24 July, 2023, 02:57:34 pm »
Put up BFO hooks in the barn to hang brushcutter & so forth on.  Nearly done but I'm just one Rawlplug* short.  Getting more means burning diesel for 20 km. Mañana.

* made by Fischer
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #18001 on: 24 July, 2023, 04:13:53 pm »
Put up BFO hooks in the barn to hang brushcutter & so forth on.  Nearly done but I'm just one Rawlplug* short.  Getting more means burning diesel for 20 km. Mañana.

* made by Fischer

Rawlplug !!!! - what's wrong with old-skool? . . . cut a sliver of wood* to size, stick it in the hole and screw into it.  Simples.

Those of us of a certain age will recall that Rawlplugs, until the plastic ones appeared in probably the 1960s, were made from a sort of fibre material.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18002 on: 24 July, 2023, 05:13:48 pm »
I can go one better: I have a 1960's tube of Philplug Screwfix that survived in the bottom of a toolbox.  You extract the appropriate amount, moisten it and roll it into a plug between your palms, never worrying that it's mostly white asbestos.

Re the wooden plug yes, I know. I did think of it but was beginning to run out of oomph because of diabetes and CBA.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18003 on: 24 July, 2023, 05:18:20 pm »
Ooh yes hooks. I can put some of them up now that I can actually hang stuff up in the garage roof.

My 'fettling' involved taking some video of the 2 spare keys for the garage door that arrived at the weekend, one of which doesnae work, so that they'll see fit to cut another one. (This restricted keys nonsense is a royal PITA).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18004 on: 24 July, 2023, 05:59:07 pm »
Flintmined both tyres and retensioned the chain on my fixed. Chain wear was a little more rapid than I had hoped, especially since I had replaced the rear tube at 22:05 Saturday and the chain was well-tensioned at that point. The half of the Kingdom of the East Saxons 400 still to be done at that stage took us along the beach in high winds and the gritty chain was noticeable after that.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #18005 on: 24 July, 2023, 09:08:16 pm »
About 7 years ago we had a guy round from anglian water (I think) to do a free water saving survey. He pointed out our broken push button on toilet which I'd bodged to work.

He asked where I worked so could advise nearest plumbing merchant to get a new button. He then made me put my hand out for a very gentle smack when admitted I worked at a plumbing merchant

New button purchased and then subsequently lost before I could fit it

Finally got round to ordering a new one which have just fitted

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18006 on: 24 July, 2023, 10:55:31 pm »
About 7 years ago we had a guy round from anglian water (I think) to do a free water saving survey. He pointed out our broken push button on toilet which I'd bodged to work.

He asked where I worked so could advise nearest plumbing merchant to get a new button. He then made me put my hand out for a very gentle smack when admitted I worked at a plumbing merchant

New button purchased and then subsequently lost before I could fit it

Outstanding.   :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18007 on: 25 July, 2023, 04:16:34 pm »
Finished putting me 'ooks up so that potential thieves will find it much easier to find our brushcutter & branch-lopper - anent which I should maybe get a hard hat.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #18008 on: 25 July, 2023, 06:22:39 pm »
I sharpened (FCVO) a blunt scraper blade and scraped a bit (a small bit) of paint off the bathroom wall. Then I got the new IR paint stripper out, read the instructions where it said you need to leave it heating up for 10 mins with it lying on something heat proof and I thought "I haven't got anything heatproof" so put it away again.
I really don't want to have to use the steamer cos it's horrible and sweaty but looks like tough titty.

« Reply #18009 on: 25 July, 2023, 07:05:03 pm »
I sharpened (FCVO) a blunt scraper blade and scraped a bit (a small bit) of paint off the bathroom wall. Then I got the new IR paint stripper out, read the instructions where it said you need to leave it heating up for 10 mins with it lying on something heat proof and I thought "I haven't got anything heatproof" so put it away again.
I really don't want to have to use the steamer cos it's horrible and sweaty but looks like tough titty.
Dinnerplate would've done it.
No?

« Reply #18010 on: 25 July, 2023, 07:29:15 pm »

You don’t have an ironing board?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #18011 on: 25 July, 2023, 07:54:52 pm »
Lol, I never thought of that! (I almost never do any ironing, can you tell?)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18012 on: 26 July, 2023, 12:30:14 am »
Mrs Barakta's-Mum's cat Rocky.  Who for reasons unclear (other than resorting to stereotypes about ginger cats being a bit dim) hasn't been doing a very good job of grooming himself.  His humans are no help in this regard, as Mrs-Barakta's-Mum pretends not to like cats, and Dr Biggles has a strange autistic way of loving cats without ever really touching them.  His sister helps him do the back of his head, but not much else.

Anyway, for reasons unclear, he had a matted area on his left (but not right) hindquarters, which necessitated a haircut and some careful teasing apart of the remaining felt.  Astoundingly, once he got the general idea he was happy to sit on my lap and let me get on with this, apart from a bit near the base of his tail which required mild distraction tactics.  I think I removed enough hair to make a spare cat.

As a relatively young, active short-haired cat (albeit one with impressive fur density), I can't help thinking that he'd be fine if he had an occasional brushing and got stroked on a regular basis.  It's not like Jake (my Linconshire correspondent's elderly Turkish Van), who can't stay awake long enough to manage his own floof, but wriggles and squirms if you try to help.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #18013 on: 26 July, 2023, 06:29:29 am »
Can neither of them be persuaded to brush him for the good of the cat, rather than love or spoffling purposes?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18014 on: 26 July, 2023, 05:45:19 pm »
Cleared the Teetering Piles of Crap from on, under and near the kitchen table, that I might actually get that replacement front door installed before I go to USAnia next month.  Don’t hold your breath though, coz it’s been sitting there for four years already  :D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #18015 on: 26 July, 2023, 07:31:27 pm »
Cleared the Teetering Piles of Crap from on, under and near the kitchen table, that I might actually get that replacement front door installed before I go to USAnia next month.  Don’t hold your breath though, coz it’s been sitting there for four years already  :D

Is that fettling or pre-fettling, like having something on pre-order?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18016 on: 26 July, 2023, 08:12:54 pm »

Is that fettling or pre-fettling, like having something on pre-order?

Bit of both.  I also installed some hooks to hang formerly-teetering bags and panniers on.  And de-fettled some cardboard boxes that were in the way.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #18017 on: 26 July, 2023, 08:19:45 pm »
Laced & partially tensioned a new front wheel.  About 10 years since I last did that! 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #18018 on: 26 July, 2023, 09:32:22 pm »
T'other day, a combination of bike-jenga, throwing tqt out and hooks onto the roof steels in the SEECRIT BUNKER to make room for The Boy's New! Shiny! Motorsickle.

He's just passed his CBT and has bought a 125 of a make I've never heard of. Tidy looking bit of kit though. He's tall lad, and this one is sized appropriately for someone 6' 2" (1.88m).
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #18019 on: 26 July, 2023, 09:52:47 pm »
Put many part through the New! Shiny! ultrasonic cleaning bath.  Yet another of those why didn't I years ago purchases.  I shall be buying a pint tomorrow (above the usual pint or 3 ) for the club mate who suggested putting the parts to be cleaned in ziplock bags (with degreaser) and having neat water in the machine, works very well.  I even put the clean chain after drying into a bag of oil & zapped it for 5 mins a side to get it into the joints.  Obvious with hindsight.

Boosted with confidence I looked at gootube videos of the dark art of bb replacement and by gosh I might even be able summon the courage for a go at that.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18020 on: 27 July, 2023, 12:58:55 am »
Can neither of them be persuaded to brush him for the good of the cat, rather than love or spoffling purposes?

Dr Biggles can rarely be persuaded of anything, unless the CAA are involved.  Mrs-Barakta's-Mum isn't one for hands-on cat maintenance, as she Doesn't Like Cats.  So it all seems to depend on regular visits from assorted cat enthusiasts.

robgul

« Reply #18021 on: 27 July, 2023, 07:40:50 am »
Put many part through the New! Shiny! ultrasonic cleaning bath.  Yet another of those why didn't I years ago purchases.  I shall be buying a pint tomorrow (above the usual pint or 3 ) for the club mate who suggested putting the parts to be cleaned in ziplock bags (with degreaser) and having neat water in the machine, works very well.  I even put the clean chain after drying into a bag of oil & zapped it for 5 mins a side to get it into the joints.  Obvious with hindsight.

Boosted with confidence I looked at gootube videos of the dark art of bb replacement and by gosh I might even be able summon the courage for a go at that.

Interesting idea with the bags in the ultra-sonic machine - must try it with mine . . . I suppose it's a sort of "sous vide" method of cleaning ;D

robgul

« Reply #18022 on: 27 July, 2023, 02:50:20 pm »
What started out as a simple task changing two water filters in our kitchen plus recharging the water softener that feeds the coffee machine turned into replacement of 3 crappy isolation valves (two I had in stock - the third required Mrs robgul to hotfoot it to Screwfix) - at least the main water isolation valve did what it's supposed to do.   Next filter replacement in about 7 or 8 months, can't wait!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18023 on: 27 July, 2023, 02:59:31 pm »

Interesting idea with the bags in the ultra-sonic machine - must try it with mine . . . I suppose it's a sort of "sous vide" method of cleaning ;D

Drat. I'm supposed to be casting about for b'day presents for MrsT but I keep finding things I could do with myself.

« Reply #18024 on: 27 July, 2023, 05:22:24 pm »
^^^ "Look dear, I bought you a nice ultrasonic bath as a birthday present so you can clean all your jewellery. Yes, it is quite large for putting just your rings into..."