Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2205616 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #4925 on: 25 January, 2012, 09:38:23 pm »
or split the mudguard into a two parter and bypass the brake entirely?

Put your waterproof in a plastic bag?

hth

How blindingly obvious, what a ninny I am. Should keep the worst of it off. And even in a split guard doesn't stop everything it'll stop more than gets stopped now.

Unless of course the mudguard funnels and concentrates the flow. Maybe a bridging guard of plastic bottle. Will mean the brake gets covered but keep me cleaner at least.

Even with a pannier rack I somehow get a muddy back.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #4926 on: 26 January, 2012, 12:37:30 am »
or split the mudguard into a two parter and bypass the brake entirely?

Put your waterproof in a plastic bag?

hth

How blindingly obvious, what a ninny I am. Should keep the worst of it off. And even in a split guard doesn't stop everything it'll stop more than gets stopped now.

Unless of course the mudguard funnels and concentrates the flow. Maybe a bridging guard of plastic bottle. Will mean the brake gets covered but keep me cleaner at least.

Even with a pannier rack I somehow get a muddy back.

You could also zip tie some stiff plastic (cut up an empty plastic bottle of something) to the underneath side of your rack to make it impervious to water and mud coming up from underneath?

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4927 on: 26 January, 2012, 01:09:48 am »
When looking at New Leatherman Tool that Brother Sprogs got me for ta Birthday present it is a good idea to put brain into gear! When trying to close the, EXREMELY SHARP, knife blade press on the back, the side that isn't Razor SHARP, as the pointed end  MEKS BLUD GUSH :o
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4928 on: 26 January, 2012, 01:15:06 am »
Ouch. You ok now PD? I hope it wasn't to big a slice.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #4929 on: 26 January, 2012, 01:23:21 am »
Small cut right on the printy tip bit of my middle finger. Just Gushed with blood for about 20 minutes, went through three plasters before they started to hold the cascade back.  Stoopid Dog!

Two Tea Towels have gone into the washing machine a bit sharpish.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #4930 on: 26 January, 2012, 09:07:05 am »
Oh, I've done that. You are in good company.
I was with kids on a school trip, doing green woodworking. Using my own knife, whittling away, pushing knife with thumb on back. Kids asks a question, I look up, answer question, push with thumb . . . . whoops, I'd turned knife around. Gave kids a good laugh, anyway.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4931 on: 26 January, 2012, 10:30:22 am »
Was hitting the end of a demolition bar early last year with a 5kg masse and got my finger in between.  Fortunately I had a glove on so after a bit of pain I carried on until blood started emerging through the glove.  My forefinger is still a funny shape.
Move Faster and Bake Things

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4932 on: 26 January, 2012, 10:38:06 am »
That's more disfettling than fettling, isn't it?

I have a large scar om the base of my thumb from where I had been up a Tallascope on a muddy bank, banging on the top of a wavy piece of box steel with a lump hammer because someone had not listened to me ( >:( )*.  The waving was not very well coordinated, given the exposed nature of the hill and the high wind, and, consequently, one of my mighty whacks landed firmly on my thumb instead of the scaff base plate I was using to distribute the force of the blow so as not to deform the box steel too much.

It hurt.

* Don't ask.  No, really, don't.  It's twenty five years ago, and I'm still very angry about it.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4933 on: 26 January, 2012, 06:13:45 pm »
I spent a good half hour forcing a tough thorn out of my front tyre. It protruded at least half a cm beyond the inner casing. Eventually I succeeded in pushing it out from inside with my thumb and grabbing the top as it came up with a big pair of scissors. I've made a mental note to get some long-nose pliers.  :) Unusually for me I've decided to put the patched tube back into the tyre. I'm pretty confident it will still be holding in the morning.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4934 on: 26 January, 2012, 06:37:40 pm »
12 helpdesk tickets :)

But I still have far too many :(

Altho' I am still utterly thrashing my colleagues in the stats  :thumbsup:

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #4935 on: 26 January, 2012, 06:48:21 pm »
You could also zip tie some stiff plastic (cut up an empty plastic bottle of something) to the underneath side of your rack to make it impervious to water and mud coming up from underneath?

I use an offcut from a roll of black plastic DPC ............ mmmmmmmmmmmm Stylish !
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4936 on: 26 January, 2012, 06:53:21 pm »
I used a piece of cereal packet tied on with string for a snow mudguard last year. Dedicated follower of fashion me :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4937 on: 26 January, 2012, 06:54:46 pm »
I used a piece of cereal packet tied on with string for a snow mudguard last year. Dedicated follower of fashion me :)

A proper bodge would have been to use billyband, it's more durable innit?

For those who are now thinking "WTF is billyband?", its bailing twine
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4938 on: 26 January, 2012, 08:44:22 pm »
Trivial stuff.

We have a couple of little rear lights sitting around, with belt clips that also fit the right sort of seatpost fitting bracket. We have more lights than we have unobscured places to put the right sort of brackets, so I put one of the lights on the back of Mrs B's rack bag, which has a loop for a belt clip. The belt clip isn't secure enough on that for my taste, so I fixed the light on with a cable tie.

The inner tube from Mrs B's retired back wheel wouldn't go in the new wheel, because the rim is deeper & it has a short valve. I was going to put it in the spare tube collection, but realised that there's now only one wheel it'll fit on any of our bikes, so decided to put it on that wheel. That way, all the 700C spares will fit all our road wheels. So, off comes Mrs B's front wheel - and eventually, after a hell of a battle, the tyre. I think it hadn't been off the wheel for at least two years, & probably longer. No patches on the tube.

A bit easier putting it back than taking it off. I'm hoping that will have loosened it up a bit, because I don't fancy doing that on the road, especially not if it's cold, dark, & raining.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4939 on: 26 January, 2012, 09:26:34 pm »
Pumped up tyres, oiled chain, charged flatteries.  It'll do.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #4940 on: 27 January, 2012, 02:06:50 am »
Finally got and fitted the screws, I lost the originals, that attach the Topeak Extended gadget holder to the bars on the Sherpa so I can have a front light that actually SHOWS above the handlebar bag!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4941 on: 27 January, 2012, 09:29:57 am »
Just fitted cleaats to my new winter boots.

Should ward off the snow and ice demons for a bit longer :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4942 on: 27 January, 2012, 12:20:42 pm »
Installed my Carbon Stryke tri bars.
Moved the Lumi LED4 and Joystick2 onto a Topeak BarExtender off the tri bars so now the lights are lower down, more protected and very central.
Now just cleaining and general maintenance / lube etc.

« Reply #4943 on: 27 January, 2012, 11:21:57 pm »
Mudguards and rack to the new Pompetamine.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #4944 on: 28 January, 2012, 05:39:39 pm »
Wheels off the Witcomb and with tyres removed taken to the LBS for truing. They do look to be quite far gone but hopefully they will be able to make some improvement to them. These are 27'' and I intend to convert to 700c in the longer term. I think.

Replanted miniature apple tree in back garden after its extraction from the front garden by local herbert the other night. The rootball looks fairly intact so fingers crossed that it will survive.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4945 on: 28 January, 2012, 06:33:03 pm »
This morning was a massive fail as I couldn't remove the jammed pinch bolt from the frame of my Swift.

Greater success this afternoon fitting the Alfine hub and Versa shifters to my Peregrine. Gave up when it got too cold to hold things! Just need to bar tape one bar and cut teh cables to length and I'm good to go!

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #4946 on: 29 January, 2012, 12:53:12 am »
I found an old pair of low riders that I thought I'd use on the Sherpa until I can afford a new set. I offered them up to the braze ons on the forks and they were nowhere near! I scratched my head a while and cussed a bit but I couldn't figure it out so I put them away and came back for a coffee. I got one of those niggling feelings in my head, that I must be missing something. Went back out and looked again. I have only had the bike built up for a week or so and I realise that I have mounted the front mudguard stays to the Low rider braze ons, I have of course cut the stays now so they wont fit in the correct bit ::-)  Didn't want to use front panniers for a few months yet anyway O:-)

« Reply #4947 on: 29 January, 2012, 05:58:00 am »
Moved the computer back a bit as when I am tucked in on the tri bars I can't see the time.
Installed the new cranks on the fixed.  Had to use father in law's bench grinder to decrease the end of the axle to slide off the right hand cup.  It was very very scoured - Tiagra cheese  ::-)
The new ratio is a little kinder so hopefully I will be able to climb a little quicker now.  Had to take out two chain links too.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4948 on: 29 January, 2012, 11:10:58 am »
A fettle fail.
I attempted to fit a Klik Fix bracket to the Langster but the bar diameter is too big.I'll not be using an Ortlieb bar bag on this bike untill I've acquired an Ortlieb bar bracket:which is frustrating because the Klik Fix braket works with the Ortlieb bar bag.

« Reply #4949 on: 29 January, 2012, 11:24:17 am »
Not so much fettling as un-fettling  :(

Completely stripped my Pearson Carbon Audax to send back and see if a repair is possible http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=55984.0.

FWIW, the stripped frame with gear hanger is 1355gm.