Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2204687 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #5075 on: 24 February, 2012, 05:31:49 pm »
For the first time in several metric yonks, I fettled some CAKE.

Need to apply an oven-specific fudge-factor, but not bad for a first attempt.
Oooh!  CAIK with Fudge!
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5076 on: 24 February, 2012, 05:32:32 pm »
I like "metric yonks". Do they differ much from Imperial yonks?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #5077 on: 24 February, 2012, 07:45:51 pm »
But never mind that, look at my super ORANGE seat post  ;D
Mmmm - shiney... *drools*

You have three four options:
1) Please tell me where I can get one.
2) Prove to me that it's a different diameter from the Genesis Day-One seat post, and therefore won't fit.
3) fasten it in with a tamper-proof left-hand-thread unobtainium 7-sided Torx bolt.
Or
4) never go on a forum ride with me - or if you do, never let your bike out of your sight.

Could I press you for option 1?

Do not click here
Never.  NSFBB.  (Not safe for bank balance).  Thanks!
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5078 on: 24 February, 2012, 07:50:12 pm »
But never mind that, look at my super ORANGE seat post  ;D
Mmmm - shiney... *drools*

You have three four options:
1) Please tell me where I can get one.
2) Prove to me that it's a different diameter from the Genesis Day-One seat post, and therefore won't fit.
3) fasten it in with a tamper-proof left-hand-thread unobtainium 7-sided Torx bolt.
Or
4) never go on a forum ride with me - or if you do, never let your bike out of your sight.

Could I press you for option 1?

Do not click here
Never.  NSFBB.  (Not safe for bank balance).  Thanks!
I felt the same way when I looked at it (and with all the sincerity of someone who has a very flash Thomson seatpost on t'other Surly) - I quite like the mostly-orange-with-a-few-black-bits look of my Genesis.

« Reply #5079 on: 24 February, 2012, 08:37:12 pm »
Just cleaned and lubed the minging drivetrain on my Boardman CX in prep for the Kennet Valley 100 tomorrow. Was a proper chain-off job. Filthy, filthy stuff.

« Reply #5080 on: 24 February, 2012, 11:17:44 pm »
Yesterday's fettle was a new stem on the Pompetamine. All my road bikes have now ended up with 80mm stems, so at least I am consistent. This one has a 17 degree rise because On One cut the steerer tube a wee bit short. I'm now very happy with my riding position on it and the Brooks saddle is breaking in nicely :)

« Reply #5081 on: 25 February, 2012, 11:57:23 am »
Pedals, four of em  :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5082 on: 25 February, 2012, 04:06:11 pm »
Lubricated the chain on the Langster to dispense with that 'orrible f.o. colour.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5083 on: 25 February, 2012, 05:07:27 pm »
Commute bike now has Marathon Plus instead of Marathon Winters.

Weight saving 1lb per thee

« Reply #5084 on: 25 February, 2012, 06:04:49 pm »
Adjusted eccentric bottom bracket to take up chain slack. It refused to move but came free when given a sharp dunt  with a shoe.

« Reply #5085 on: 25 February, 2012, 08:02:44 pm »
On the fixed I've been using one of my Carradice saddlepacks.  But it is the site with a small zip access panel at the back and I struggle to get my lunch in and or to get stuff out.  Tonight I found a Super C in the shed that I had forgotten about - doh.
So I have installed that now.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5086 on: 25 February, 2012, 08:05:55 pm »
Tried to fettle a very nice Tubus 'Logo' rack onto Pugsley.
Unfortunately, comically wide tyres and a rack whose sides slope inwards mean that this particular fettle was doomed to failure - might have to buy a Surly rack instead. Bummer :)

John Henry

« Reply #5087 on: 25 February, 2012, 08:24:55 pm »
I fixed a R&K Klickfix plate onto a Carradice zipped roll, so it will clip onto the front of my bike when I haven't got enough things to merit using the barbag.

I had to unpick the stitching of the leather panel that takes the 'horizontal' strap, and remove it. If Carradice Bag Lady reads this.... it wasn't one of yours. Don't tell Christine.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5088 on: 26 February, 2012, 01:46:27 pm »
I seem to have accidentally fettled the whole bike!

Yesterday, I noticed my chain was worn beyond the ability of the chain-wear tool to measure it!
The casette has had a few chains now, so time to fit a new chain and cassette.
LBS had requisite items in stock ( not the cheapest ), but it let me get to work.

Old chain and cassette off, and the front chainrings look like they could do with a good clean.
So off come the cranks and chainset is stripped down to indiviual chainrings for cleaning.

Since the cranks are off, I might as well remove the BB and give things a clean and re-grease.

Oh, and the brake pads need replacing so let's do that too.
Might as well remove the calipers for a deep-clean.

And so one thing led to another, and before I knew it, the whole bike was pretty much stripped!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5089 on: 26 February, 2012, 02:22:47 pm »
I have relocated the computer on the Trek from handlebars to stem

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5090 on: 26 February, 2012, 03:33:07 pm »
Some words into what resembles an essay on legislation and designation protecting landscape and buildings in the countryside.   ;D

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #5091 on: 26 February, 2012, 03:50:19 pm »
Arch mentioned a need for a trailer today.  I have been a bit lax and not made one for her yet.  Anyway no sooner mentioned, on the way back from Aldi, then done as soon as we got home.

We had an old kiddie trailer and so that was stripped down to the basic flat frame.  Then while Arch stripped the fabric for useful stuff I fitted a cargo net to the frame.  It is held with a bit of cord so that it can be retensioned in the future.  Arch will find a bit of correx for it as a floor when needed.

I also fitted a cycle computer too.

I had to make up an aluminium bracket that was shaped a but like a number '2'  to hold the sensor and then make an 'L' shaped bracket to hold the magnet as there were no spokes to clamp it to.
The wiring for the sensor had to be extended with a bit of old speaker wire that happened to be exactly the same as the sensor wire and then the computer mount was screwed in place with a small wood screw.

I now know that at 7mph I am bouncing out of the seat on my electric tractor! ;D
I wasn't quite at full throttle in top gear but close.  On a flat smooth road I might get up to 10mph but not before I fit a bullet proof chain guard over the chain.

Here's a video of Arch test driving it.

« Reply #5092 on: 26 February, 2012, 03:59:31 pm »
 ;D

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #5093 on: 26 February, 2012, 05:31:09 pm »
I really thought you were going to drive into that wall when you turned, Arch!  :o

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5094 on: 26 February, 2012, 06:23:12 pm »
Finally fitted a rear rack to the Pugsley - a Tortec Expedition rack which is the correct colour (black), has a sensible load limit (35kg) and doesn't have sides that slope inwards, meaning that it will coexist peacefully with comically wide tyres.

However, the offset rear end made fitting it bit of a palaver and a number of plastic shims and other odds and sods were required to get it to clear the rear disc calliper but we got there in the end. All I need to do is sort out my lighting rig and I'm ready for Extreme Comedy Off-Road Actiontm

Also fitted clipless pedals for 'regular' use - I'll keep the spiky trials pedals for winter use.

« Reply #5095 on: 26 February, 2012, 08:03:53 pm »
The most sensible bike to fit the tag along to was my inbred, so I did that and we went for a ride.
The tag along doesn't allow me to use my (biggish) seat pack, but the fitting is the same as Mrs Dan's basket. However, I resisted the suggestions to put a wicker basket behind the saddle.
Fitted a new, not so big, front tyre.
Front brake was squeaky (first real ride after a big clean). Couldn't get rid of the rubbing by aligning, so have ordered new pads as they were looking a bit thin.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5096 on: 26 February, 2012, 08:37:55 pm »
Fitted a headset and bidon cage to the fixed frame and another to the Audax tandem (along with a new fork). Found that the secondhand fixed wheel (bought sight unseen) had clapped out cones, so have ordered replacement cones.

Rewrapped the gel pad and handlebar tape on a Canadian crutch.

Found the reflective tape (to fit to mudflaps) and the makings of a front mudflap for HK's MTB, so something still to do tonight. Rebuilding the Campag Ergolever can wait for another evening.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5097 on: 26 February, 2012, 09:01:29 pm »
Changed tyres from 25c to 23c (for clearance) and fitted some SKS Bluemels. Was not helped by the fact that the threads on the front eyelets appear to be stripped. >:( Cable ties to the rescue, though they don't look as neat as the bolts on the rear...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #5098 on: 26 February, 2012, 09:31:23 pm »
I finally decided to do some maintenance on my commuter bike.  As the chain had about ½ kg of grot on it and was severely stretched, and the cassette was last changed 3 chains ago, I decided to replace both. 

The lockring on the cassette was completely rusted on, so I had to soak it in WD40, and hold the tool in a workbench to unscrew it.  The only 7 speed cassette the LBS had was a 12-32 ratio one which is a bit of overkill, but at least it (currently) looks nice and shiny. 

I suppose I should have also cleaned the rest of the bike, seeing as it was last washed about a year ago...........
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5099 on: 27 February, 2012, 11:55:19 pm »
Here's a video of Arch test driving it.

Cooler than ice cream!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.