Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2205359 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #7750 on: 25 May, 2013, 10:14:38 pm »
Chain tube joining bits arrived from ICE, so have refitted chain tubes, fitted chain, tensioner, refitted gear pull bolt thingy on the gear cable, adjusted alfine.

Trike is now rideable again after about 3 months off the road. Pretty thorough refurb also. Might be doing a short trip tomorrow if I get up early enough. Still have to fit new rear disk rotor and parking brake.

Brakes squeal like a rutting pig.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7751 on: 25 May, 2013, 10:18:40 pm »
Finished and fitted a lighter front wheel to HK's Moulton.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7752 on: 25 May, 2013, 10:20:42 pm »
I popped round to Cudzo's place and helped him retape his bars. I also ate his cake while I was there  ;D

I hunk we should invite Cudzo to the grand wheel building day, whenever we arrange it for.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7753 on: 25 May, 2013, 10:28:22 pm »
I popped round to Cudzo's place and helped him retape his bars. I also ate his cake while I was there  ;D

I hunk we should invite Cudzo to the grand wheel building day, whenever we arrange it for.
That sounds exciting! I've been thinking of learning to build wheels - there used to be someone locally who gave lessons cheaply, but he's gone back to Belgium - all I need is a rim, a hub and some spokes! And some more dried fruit and possibly sugar...

And I have to assume "hunk" can only refer to you!  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7754 on: 26 May, 2013, 12:59:42 pm »
Still have about 2m3 to get rid of (and no car now) but the local council will take 3 bags of garden waste away per week with the usual garbage collection (it gets incinerated) so I just have to spend a few hours chopping up the 2m3 of stuff into 8" long bits to fill up green garden sacks. They'll then go out with the normal rubbish and disappear over the next few weeks.

I'm on call next weekend and I have to be within 30 mins of my laptop (and a decent network connection) the entire time, so the garden is perfect. I should even be able to have time to dig out the majority of the main roots of those trees/bushes too.

3 more tip runs done by car (Zipcar). Most of the unwanted stabby trees/bushes gone now, plus a fir tree thinned out as it was starting to get a bit wide. Just one big spider plant like bush and a small palm tree to go.

Still have to dig up the remaining roots, and/or bang in some copper nails (purchased today).

Also bought some replacement shed roof felt and adhesive. Might get around to doing that today but it'll probably just be lazing in the garden listening to the cricket.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7755 on: 26 May, 2013, 01:03:06 pm »
Yesterday, not today, I put up a towel rail in the bathroom.
It's great because it's the same width as my bath towels.
I've been meaning to put one up ever since I moved in here.
That was one month short of 10 years ago.  ::-)

This morning I bagged up the 6 metre conifer which I cut down last weekend, and borrowed a car to take it to the re-cycling plant in Bermondsey.

« Reply #7756 on: 26 May, 2013, 02:35:43 pm »

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7757 on: 26 May, 2013, 04:32:57 pm »
(sort of) finished my ss build. what's still outstanding - dedicated water bottle cages, more robust saddle (leather on a current one is too delicate and no protection from brick walls), conical headset spacer. longer term - hydraulic brakes possibly?..

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #7758 on: 26 May, 2013, 06:35:28 pm »
Final draft of evaluation document for dissertation. (first draft had  :thumbsup: feedback, just a few amendments to do.)
Fettled together a job application too.
 :)

BrianI

« Reply #7759 on: 26 May, 2013, 06:38:30 pm »

That sounds exciting! I've been thinking of learning to build wheels - there used to be someone locally who gave lessons cheaply, but he's gone back to Belgium - all I need is a rim, a hub and some spokes! And some more dried fruit and possibly sugar...

And I have to assume "hunk" can only refer to you!  :o

Wheel building's fun.  If I can give my airfix skills a run for their money and build a functional wheel, I'm sure anyone can!
(also  Roger Musson's Professional Guide to Wheel building was helpful)

« Reply #7760 on: 26 May, 2013, 08:28:41 pm »
Also bought some replacement shed roof felt and adhesive. Might get around to doing that today but it'll probably just be lazing in the garden listening to the cricket.

I'll sleep well tonight. Didn't help that the shed is in the corner of the garden and I had to jump over the fence to next door about 6 times (hauling the stepladder over each time).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7761 on: 26 May, 2013, 09:21:08 pm »
House and garden fettling in the sunshine.
The pond pump has been tripping the RCD since we had the traditional old fusebox replaced. Eventually found that it was a buried connection (using waterproof connectors) that had leaked and corroded.
Mowed the back lawn.
Removed a security light and separate PIR controlling it from the roofline at the front of the house. It didn't work - probably just a blown bulb as the PIR LED flashed with movement - but the previous owner had a fetish for security lights and we have far too many of them. The remaining lights are more than adequate, replacing the bulb in this would have been antisocial rather than useful.
Cleared a small amount of stuff from the guttering whilst I was up the ladder (only a little bit as I did this last year when we moved in).
Whilst the ladders were out trimmed the inside of our hedges ready to do the outside sometime next week - it's always fun being a couple of metres in the air on a ladder waving a petrol hedge trimmer around.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7762 on: 26 May, 2013, 09:54:40 pm »
I just un-fettled our old mattress (which has been hanging around since the council didn't collect it due to extreme weather back in March) to remove the layer of memory foam, with a view to improving the hip and shoulder rating of our sofabed at some point when I'm feeling enthusiastic about sewing machines and heavy lifting.

ETA: Just remembered that earlier I swapped the saddle on my Dawes for a very similar saddle with fewer rips in it donated by Clarion OTP earlier in the year, which was put in a safe place, found again, put in another safe place because swapping saddles before a long ride is a silly idea, and finally re-discovered and fitted this afternoon.

Initial verdict is that it's basically the same as the old one, but slightly less curved, which is a Good Thing.   :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #7763 on: 26 May, 2013, 11:30:01 pm »
Some TIME Xpresso cleats on my shoes to replace the SPD SL I have been using.

« Reply #7764 on: 26 May, 2013, 11:34:35 pm »
Spent most of the day tickling a website into being. Starting to see the fruits of my labour as it comes together now.
Mostly I'm procrastinating on having to write the marketing copy for the events programme....

In a not unrelated process, I may also have molished and partly demolished a cake.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7765 on: 27 May, 2013, 01:14:40 pm »
It's chucking it down outside (the only day of the BH I could have done a ride :() so instead I've fitted mudguards to the Trek. The bridge connector wouldn't fit so I've stuck the rear guard to the brake bridge using one of those sticky foam pad things.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #7766 on: 27 May, 2013, 04:44:53 pm »
I was replacing the Barrel adjuster on my gears, and the gear cable while I was at it. That went ok. Then I did a full check of the brakes while I was at it, to find that the back brake cable wasn't tight enough. Attempting to tighten it just sent the bolt spinning around.

Balls. No rear brake.

So, a trip to the LBS to get some new brakes. I changed the front one as well, as it was the same age (over 10 years old) as the rear, and I'm doing a hilly ride next weekend.

Still, it cut into my riding time, which I was a bit grumpy about.

Chris S

« Reply #7767 on: 27 May, 2013, 07:20:49 pm »
Removed chain and cassette from the Longstaff for cleaning. Whoever said the best lube for a chain is the one they preload it with at the factory was wrong. It's too sticky and gloopy, and makes for a sticky, gloopy chain that sucks badly on ring changes, and covers you in a black mess rather akin to meconium when you have to handle said chain.

Also tidied the garage a bit. Well, a lot actually - but it's a tricky exercise as there's rather too much stuff in there at the moment, and finding an optimal layout involves a great deal of tessellation.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7768 on: 27 May, 2013, 08:28:20 pm »
Finished converting a very battered old 4-speed SA trigger into an ASC trigger.

Note how it now "overshifts" into H (the H isn't centralised in the window).  It ain't pretty, but no 4-speed shifters of this age are; they weren't made to last in a cosmetic sense, with thin chrome over the brass and a bit of red paint.  Mechanically, it's perfect.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7769 on: 27 May, 2013, 09:54:42 pm »
Replaced the rear midguard on HK's Condor but need to replace the gear casing and cables in the next week. Replaced the Tacx barplug lights on HK's Moulton with reflector barplugs with integrated chainlube and pre-glued patches.

Replaced cogs, chain and derailleur cable on my Brommie but need to replace the brake cables and casings in the next week.

Picked up rear wheel loaned to Lars and need to refit tyre, tube and cassette, along with new mudguards, to the Frezoni in the next week.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #7770 on: 28 May, 2013, 08:48:35 am »
Re-assembled the Mercian after its temporary use as a wheel truing stand. Stripped off all the lights of in preparation for the new Cyo to be installed.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #7771 on: 28 May, 2013, 11:41:43 am »
I've got a fettle list as long as my arm to start over the next day or two whilst the wife is away. Unfortunately step 1 is cleaning/washing grotty tourers so I may fall at the first hurdle ;D
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #7772 on: 28 May, 2013, 05:05:23 pm »
Having looked at my old Micromega CD transport sitting on the coffee table waiting for a laser* transplant for over a month, I finally plucked up the courage to perform the necessary surgery. Still a bit temperamental at this stage what with the tray not always fully closing on re-mantling, but by golly it pretty much works! Oh Yessss! Bringing dead machines back to life is so satisfying, isn't it? (Can I have a pat on the back please?)

*these units are tiny but the amount of micro-electronicery and stuff packed into them is astonishing.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

BrianI

« Reply #7773 on: 28 May, 2013, 05:27:03 pm »
Fettled a trees worth of dead leaves from the interior air blower of the Grande Punto. At least I shouldn't get showered with leaves any time I turn the fan on....
Fettled a wee LED loop onto my trusty Hi-Gear Hydropack using a wee length of webbing.  Stitched by hand.
 :)

« Reply #7774 on: 28 May, 2013, 09:00:21 pm »
Kim and I fettled some solid beginnings of a periscope using sums, a tape measure, a hacksaw, sums, some soil pipe, more sums and a couple of visits to Screwfix.

Kim seemed keen that we should also do the rest of a submarine to put it in, but I'd seen these photos of homemade Chinese subs yesterday and the thought of the oil barrel one gave me the heebie-jeebies.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/05/chinese-diy-inventions/100511