Author Topic: Pbp 2023 - what are the odds?  (Read 39180 times)

Re: Pbp 2023 - what are the odds?
« Reply #250 on: 08 April, 2023, 10:16:11 pm »
Heads-Up !

For anyone up and still keen, about 150 available 90h bicycle places have just appeared on the pre-registration site at 23:00 (Paris) Saturday 8/Apr, all in the later third of the 90h start times, Q to U.

PS It looks like you can also now modify an existing pre-registration including start time.

So returning to Tom’s original question regarding the “odds of getting a place”, currently 100% as there are almost 150 90h places and 300 84h places all without any longest ride qualification in 2022. I am surprised the 90h places are not flying off the shelf , perhaps no-one was expecting more to be available this side of June and so has not yet noticed?

I have done a very foolish thing and pre-registered, a 90h place was just too tempting, talk about forlorn hopes

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #251 on: 10 April, 2023, 06:08:43 pm »
Has the option to alter start times/ groups been locked down again?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #252 on: 10 April, 2023, 07:58:41 pm »
Has the option to alter start times/ groups been locked down again?
There are 23-33 starts left on the last 4 90H starts (2015-2100).
There are no 80H starts 'left' but plenty of 84H starts.
Last time a pre-registrant had about 48 hours to modify their start before that button 'vanished'.
I expect there to be a churn on 10 Jun.
Have taken the plunge with a 2000 (Q) start. I shall not stop, however briefly, on the Sunday evening at Mortagne this time.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #253 on: 10 April, 2023, 08:58:40 pm »
HK is looking to swap to VS90 and it is well past 48 hours since she preregistered. If need be, I will drop ACP an email.

« Reply #254 on: 10 April, 2023, 10:52:37 pm »
Have taken the plunge with a 2000 (Q) start. I shall not stop, however briefly, on the Sunday evening at Mortagne this time.

On Sunday there were a couple in earlier groups, I got the last M which puts me right in the middle of the bulge, I am very slow and will have to very minimise controls especially any queueing for anything except card stamping. Do the veterans have advice regarding alternate refuelling places/strategies ? If skipping outward Mortagne where else to stop during the night for food?

« Reply #255 on: 11 April, 2023, 05:56:53 am »

On Sunday there were a couple in N & P, I got the last N which puts me right in the middle of the bulge, I am very slow and will have to very minimise controls especially any queueing for anything except card stamping. Do the veterans have advice regarding alternate refuelling places/strategies ? If skipping outward Mortagne where else to stop during the night for food?

there are locals all over the place offering food and drinks.
In Mortagne usually the supermarket and the baker are open, as well as various pubs. All faster as the 'control'.
After about 100km is a Café des Sports which normally stays open all night (they usually announce that on the French forum).
So just go with the flow and stop when you need to, not when an official control is on offer.
The ACP announced that they'll optimise the controls for those who just want to stamp and go.

« Reply #256 on: 11 April, 2023, 10:33:44 am »
HK is looking to swap to VS90 and it is well past 48 hours since she preregistered. If need be, I will drop ACP an email.

I Paid today and the "Modify" button disappeared as soon as my pre-registration was Validated.

« Reply #257 on: 11 April, 2023, 10:37:45 am »

So just go with the flow and stop when you need to, not when an official control is on offer.
The ACP announced that they'll optimise the controls for those who just want to stamp and go.

Thanks Ivo, while I have reviewed all the 2019 posts I am sure to have dozens of questions more

« Reply #258 on: 11 April, 2023, 06:26:50 pm »

Thanks Ivo, while I have reviewed all the 2019 posts I am sure to have dozens of questions more

Well, then open a 'ask the anciens' thread so you can pick the minds of all the anciens of YACF.

« Reply #259 on: 11 April, 2023, 09:58:07 pm »

Well, then open a 'ask the anciens' thread so you can pick the minds of all the anciens of YACF.
Those of us that are still alive.

« Reply #260 on: 12 April, 2023, 05:49:48 am »
'ask the anciens'

what's the qualification to be one a them?
i still feel like a bit of a newcomer with only three under me belt!
Garry Broad

« Reply #261 on: 12 April, 2023, 05:56:08 am »
'ask the anciens'

what's the qualification to be one a them?
i still feel like a bit of a newcomer with only three under me belt!

Traditionally, you're an ancien after you've completed 1 PBP. So you definitively qualify

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #262 on: 27 April, 2023, 02:45:00 pm »
Currently spaces for:
6 x 80hr
12 x 90hr (likely Velo Speciale only)
256 x 84hr

« Reply #263 on: 01 May, 2023, 11:21:01 pm »
90h bicycle places had run out again about a week ago, 10 x 90h specials only left but just now 4 x 90h places have become available, 1 x group S & 3 x group U, better be quick if you want them.

Otherwise 238 84h of which 73 are specials and no 80h left

« Reply #264 on: 09 May, 2023, 04:53:35 pm »
90h bicycle places had run out again about a week ago, 10 x 90h specials only left but just now 4 x 90h places have become available, 1 x group S & 3 x group U, better be quick if you want them.

Otherwise 238 84h of which 73 are specials and no 80h left
9 May: Still four 90hr starts showing as available for pre-registration, as well as plenty of 84hr Mon am ones.
"Pre-registered participants will be able to modify their departure time during registration, starting from May 27th, and particularly from 1100 BST 10 Jun, when pre-registrations not converted to registrations will be released [and their start times]. To start registration, you must have completed at least three BRM PBP qualifying brevets."

« Reply #265 on: 10 May, 2023, 12:04:25 am »
9 May: Still four 90hr starts showing as available for pre-registration,

But all 4 90h are “special”, and oddly 73 of the 203 84h places are also “special”, has been 73 for more than a month, those will never go, must be warehoused for later?

« Reply #266 on: 10 May, 2023, 11:58:16 am »
I really hope some more 90hrs open up. I'm bringing a team from Vietnam for whom it will be the countries first participation in the event. As it is our first year having BRM in Vietnam, no one else was able to pre-register early so are all signed up under 84hr groups.
For all it will be there first ride longer than 1200 so I think the 90hr group will be necessary.

« Reply #267 on: 11 May, 2023, 12:39:03 am »
E-mail from the organiser just in. No new information requiring action. Have edited to improve translation and remove irrelevances.

"We thank you for being pre-registered for Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur 2023. More than 8400 pre-registered for a maximum number of 8000 places (the event is designed for), which forced us to set up queuing lists. However not all pre-registrations will be converted into registrations and we believe that you will all be able to find a starting slot.
All you have to do now is convert your pre-registration into registration. To do this, enter your ACP account (https://myaccount.audax-club-parisien.com).
On-line registration will be opened on 27 May.
You can start your registration with only 3 brevets but you will need to provide the 4 homologation numbers to have your registration validated.
Please note that you will lose your reserved place if you have not started your registration before 1200 CEST 10 Jun.
Some want to change your start time. This will be possible during registrations and especially on 10 Jun when pre-registrations are 'cancelled' because they have not been converted to registrations: those start times will be released for others who have registered to change to.
So be ready to seize this opportunity on 1200 CEST 10 Jun!
In any case you must have provided the 4 homologation numbers of your qualifying brevets before 2359 CEST 2 Jul. Help will be available on the registration page to help you find your numbers.
Your frame plate number as well as various documents will be sent to you by email when your entry is validated, no later than 15 Jul."
Comment: 10 Jun (start time 'change day') is a Saturday which is a tad annoying. There are several 600s scheduled which many will be riding. 6am start. By 11am riders will be at least 100 in so identifying a cafe with good wifi may be an option for those who are not satisfied with their current 'lot'.

« Reply #268 on: 11 May, 2023, 12:42:51 am »
I really hope some more 90hrs open up. ...

There will be, in 2019 1500 of the 7600 pre-registered riders had not entered at least 3 of their 4 qualifying rides by mid June and where therefore cancelled and their places became available. the 2023 dropoff is from 8500 so likely more?. You probably got an email from the organisers in the last 24 hours which reminder us to be ready on 10th June noon (Paris time) for times to be available BUT your team members will have to have 3 of their qualifiers completed and noted in ACP records so that they can pick another time when registering.

So, do qualifiers (well) before 10th June and be online at noon (Paris) on the 10th June to initiate the registration and change time slot to a 90h one.

Good Luck, I will need some too.

Ps, for your own pre-registration make sure you enter 3 qualifying rides between 27 May and 10th June otherwise your place would be cancelled.

« Reply #269 on: 11 May, 2023, 03:41:59 am »
E-mail from the organiser just in. No new information requiring action. Have edited to improve translation and remove irrelevances.

"We thank you for being pre-registered for Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur 2023. More than 8400 pre-registered for a maximum number of 8000 places (the event is designed for), which forced us to set up queuing lists. However not all pre-registrations will be converted into registrations and we believe that you will all be able to find a starting slot...

Below is the original email from ACP. I think your interpretation of the second sentence is wrong. I didn't recieve this email as I pre-registered early. I think this was sent to people who pre-registered after 8,000.

Hello,
We thank you for being pre-registered for Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur 2023. You were more than 8400 to pre-register for a maximum number of 8000 places, which forced us to set up queuing lists. Not all pre-registrations will be converted into registrations and we believe that you will all be able to find a starting slot.
You should already  started your qualifying brevets. So, all you have to do now is convert your pre-registrations into registration starting on May 27 noon (Paris time) (June 03 for non-FFCT French people). To do this, you will enter your ACP account (https://myaccount.audax-club-parisien.com).
Registration forms will only be available from May 27. You can start your registration with only three brevets but you will need to provide the 4 approval numbers to have your registration validated.
Please note that you will lose your reserved place if you have not started your registration before June 10, 12:00 (Paris time).
Many of you want to change your departure time. This will be possible during registrations and especially starting on June 10th when slots not used for registration will be released.
So be ready to seize this opportunity on June 10 noon (Paris time)! You must have provided the 4 approval numbers of your qualifying brevets before midnight July 02 (Paris time). Help will be available on the registration page to help you find your approval numbers if you have lost them.
Your frame plate number as well as various documents will be sent to you by email when your entry is validated, no later than July 15th.

Be aware, for those who need a visa to travel to France, that an invitation letter is available (link DOCUMENT) on your ACP account (https://myaccount.audax-club-parisien.com) + PBP.

Best regards,
The organizing team

« Reply #270 on: 11 May, 2023, 04:23:48 am »

Below is the original email from ACP. I think your interpretation of the second sentence is wrong. I didn't recieve this email as I pre-registered early. I think this was sent to people who pre-registered after 8,000.

I got the e-mail and I have a validated 90h place (Group M 19:00). There is apparently a waiting list group of maybe 100+ who picked 90h but did not pick a time because there were none left, sounds like an error in the pre-registration process, I have only seen this discussed on a RUSA forum, was suggested these people would be randomly assigned a time from those cancelled on 10th June.

But otherwise your “team” I assume have pre-registered with 84h group times . They will have to part register with at least 3 qualifiers between 27/May & before 10/June in order to keep their pre-registration active (I think ACP call this “initiating” the registration) and then pick another available time after 10/June and later (before 2/July) complete / finalise their registration with the 4th qualifier (and pay?). Until we see the registration screens and process from 27/May there is some uncertainty regarding exactly how it will all work.

PS The 8000 limit  is riders at the start on 20/August, unless riders have been unusually well prepared they will be lucky to have more than low 7,000s actually start, in 2019 there were 7600 pre-registered but some months later only 6,600 actually started after 1500 were cancelled due to not entering 3 qualifies by mid June and then another 1000 places were made available for 3 of 4 qualified riders and another 600 failed to complete 4 qualifiers or for other reasons did not start..

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #271 on: 11 May, 2023, 10:34:54 am »

"We thank you for being pre-registered for Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur 2023. More than 8400 pre-registered for a maximum number of 8000 places (the event is designed for), which forced us to set up queuing lists. However not all pre-registrations will be converted into registrations and we believe that you will all be able to find a starting slot...

Hello,
We thank you for being pre-registered for Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur 2023. You were more than 8400 to pre-register for a maximum number of 8000 places, which forced us to set up queuing lists. Not all pre-registrations will be converted into registrations and we believe that you will all be able to find a starting slot.
You should already  started your qualifying brevets. So, all you have to do now is convert your pre-registrations into registration starting on May 27 noon (Paris time) (June 03 for non-FFCT French people). To do this, you will enter your ACP account (https://myaccount.audax-club-parisien.com).
Registration forms will only be available from May 27. You can start your registration with only three brevets but you will need to provide the 4 approval numbers to have your registration validated.
Please note that you will lose your reserved place if you have not started your registration before June 10, 12:00 (Paris time).
Many of you want to change your departure time. This will be possible during registrations and especially starting on June 10th when slots not used for registration will be released.
So be ready to seize this opportunity on June 10 noon (Paris time)! You must have provided the 4 approval numbers of your qualifying brevets before midnight July 02 (Paris time). Help will be available on the registration page to help you find your approval numbers if you have lost them.
Your frame plate number as well as various documents will be sent to you by email when your entry is validated, no later than July 15th.

Be aware, for those who need a visa to travel to France, that an invitation letter is available (link DOCUMENT) on your ACP account (https://myaccount.audax-club-parisien.com) + PBP.

Best regards,
The organizing team

all true, but there will be drop outs and they will not be evenly split between the start groups, so some 90hr groups will almost certainly have places become available. Also there may be some with a 90hr place who gain confidence to go for the shorter time limit, allowing an earlier start time. (Earlier start time allows the benefits of quieter controls and dorms that will never be full on arrival)

Four years ago I got round in 79hrs 20, my return journey was quite relaxed with lots of extra stops, so I could have been faster, but when I registered I wasn't confident my form was as good as 4 years ago. When I complete my 600 qualifier/training rides I may decide 80 hours is the way to go. (Basically if I can complete a 600 in 32 hours or less, I will be confident I can make it to Brest by Midnight on Monday and therefore be comfortable finishing inside 80 hours)

Eddington  127miles, 170km

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #272 on: 11 May, 2023, 02:12:48 pm »
I got the email, and I was a reasonably early registrant.  My reading of the message was - if you get your 4 registered brevets in time, then you will get a place, as they don't expect more than 8000 of the 8400 registrants to complete an SR series according to the rules. 

The main points are that you need to update the registration with at least 3 of your 4 ACP brevet numbers between 27 May when the system opens (june 3 for non-french residents) and 10 June and then put the final one in before 2 July.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #273 on: 11 May, 2023, 11:31:44 pm »
I suggest that my interpretation is actually spot on: "more than 8400 pre-registered". This is actually the case. And the 8000 is the number ACP think the event might manage. The guff about  'queuing lists' [des listes d'attente] is just that.
Check your spam box.

« Reply #274 on: 12 May, 2023, 08:25:46 am »
Apologies. You may be correct.

Email received this afternoon from ACP, a day later than others.

Either way, we've got our homologation numbers listed under our accounts on the ACP website for our SR Series, so patiently awaiting 10 June.