Author Topic: So who is pre-registered and when is your start time?  (Read 6234 times)

felstedrider

Re: So who is pre-registered and when is your start time?
« Reply #25 on: 08 February, 2023, 10:31:44 am »
A lot of people mentioned the headwind on the way out last time but I really don't remember it.   I was brisk enough on the trip to Brest to get into my booked hotel for 8hrs.

It tipped it down on registration day and until Midday on the day of the start.   I remember hanging around the hotel until just before my Midday checkout to avoid getting wet.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #26 on: 08 February, 2023, 11:11:22 am »
Well I shall be out and about on Saturday - not due back home til about 1600 so will just take my chances with whats available when I login as a 400 BRM'er. 

Even if it ends up as Hobsons choice I'm inclined to go for a later start anyway on the basis that

- My other half has expressed an interest in being at the finish so a later start allows her more of a lie in (8pm start in 90hrs group = finish by 1400, she'll be heading out from paris on the train)

- I recall a bit of a scrum at the start in 2019 with folk from later groups standing in / clogging up the two legged queuing system and refusing to move.  It struck me as  something of a futile approach as they weren't going to actually start any earlier and were mostly getting in the way.   That said, id started to feel unwell at the start (I ended up a DNF at Villaines) so was perhaps my tolerance levels for such shenanigans were lower than might otherwise have been the case.  I recall the 2015 start when I think I was in one of the final 3 or 4 90hr groups being very smooth with the big pens clearly marked for each start group.     

Id contemplate a 84 hr ride but theres no obvious way for me to get to the start by public transport for the 5am start (great excuse eh?  ;D) .   

« Reply #27 on: 08 February, 2023, 06:55:14 pm »
[quote
- I recall a bit of a scrum at the start in 2019 with folk from later groups standing in / clogging up the two legged queuing system and refusing to move.  It struck me as  something of a futile approach as they weren't going to actually start any earlier and were mostly getting in the way.   
[/quote]

I remember that well, I was fuming about it, I had my dinner, went back to my car and had a sleep for a couple of hours, I gave myself an hour to get dressed and bike ready, and then headed to the start about an hour before my start time at 18:15 same as we did in 2015.

And then I hit a wall of riders just clogging up the access road to the start. Frame numbers if I recall were from groups as late starting as  "O" to "T" and maybe later and they would not move. I ended up having to walk a circular route through the field and parked cars and then push though more riders stood on the roadside looking for group "J" forming up. Eventually I found my group J lined up.

It was mentioned in 2019 and same as it does this year, not to report to the start too early to keep it clear for riders who will be starting soon. (Or words to that effect).

It beat me as well as to one side of the start was a large field sloping downwards with a good view of everything with tons of empty space were riders could just chill out and relax killing time rather than stood straddling the top tubes blocking the road for a couple of hours or more.

« Reply #28 on: 10 February, 2023, 08:22:55 pm »
"I recall a bit of a scrum at the start in 2019 with folk from later groups standing in / clogging up the two legged queuing system and refusing to move.  It struck me as  something of a futile approach as they weren't going to actually start any earlier and were mostly getting in the way."   
I remember that well, I was fuming about it,
It beat me as well as to one side of the start was a large field sloping downwards with a good view of everything with tons of empty space were riders could just chill out and relax killing time rather than stood straddling the top tubes blocking the road for a couple of hours or more.
These riders need to attend queue school as well as complete an SR. I guess a quality approach to queuing is ingrained in Brits from an early age.
I got there a bit earlier, rode across the grass and chilled out watching the previous waves go along the track before coming in from the side to join the same start wave throng as you: 'J'. Bon courage!

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #29 on: 11 February, 2023, 11:20:33 am »
Just registered at 12 noon Paris time with last season's 400 (Brevet Cymru).  Process was very easy and completed with no glitches.

I'm in the 90h group R, starting at 20:15.  In 2015 I started at 18:30, and I don't believe 2 hours will make much difference.

Just got to qualify now - I have one 200, one 300, one 400, one 600, one egg, one basket planned  :thumbsup:
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #30 on: 11 February, 2023, 12:38:02 pm »
Got a 20:00 start time. 
In 2019 i got a 18:00 start time because I had ridden a 1000km ride the year before, not sure it was worth all that effort!!

John Stonebridge

« Reply #31 on: 11 February, 2023, 05:01:45 pm »
Ive just pre-registered and have a 2030 start time. 

I shall lead affairs from the back.     

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #32 on: 11 February, 2023, 06:17:57 pm »
A lot of people mentioned the headwind on the way out last time but I really don't remember it.   I was brisk enough on the trip to Brest to get into my booked hotel for 8hrs.

It tipped it down on registration day and until Midday on the day of the start.   I remember hanging around the hotel until just before my Midday checkout to avoid getting wet.
If you were in a large group it might have been fine, i was riding with one other rider, and the Monday ride to Carhaix was a trial. all the wind turbines were clearly showing a block headwind (then they were stopped when we came back on Tuesday)

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #33 on: 12 February, 2023, 09:18:13 pm »
Registered yesterday with the earliest start time I could get of 20:15.

This is my first PBP so no idea if that’s a good thing or not  ;D

Also booked into a glamping tent at Huttopia.

John Stonebridge

« Reply #34 on: 13 February, 2023, 09:58:50 am »
Registered yesterday with the earliest start time I could get of 20:15.

This is my first PBP so no idea if that’s a good thing or not  ;D

Also booked into a glamping tent at Huttopia.

A late start has plusses and minuses imho.  Chiefly - 

+ +

You should be fresher overnight on day 1/2

You will be able to have more daylight hours on day 5 as you'll have until 1415 to finish

- - -

You'll have all day Sunday (potentially burning nervous energy) before setting off.  I know plenty folk (myself included) who found the first night unexpectedly more difficult than the rest. 

Roadside providers of drinks overnight (especially on the 1st two legs to Mortainge & Villaines) will probably have run out / gone to bed by the time you get there.

Also the controls may still be reeling from "the bulge" having gone through before you.   

« Reply #35 on: 15 February, 2023, 12:56:19 pm »
Ive just pre-registered and have a 2030 start time. 

I shall lead affairs from the back.   

Ditto. At least we'll have a few lights to follow.

« Reply #36 on: 03 March, 2023, 10:50:23 am »
G'day, from Aussieland

I wasn't going to ride after my LEL debacle last year.
Changed my mind and pre-registered with a 400BRM
Got a start time of 8:15pm as well - first PBP so nothing to compare against.
Staying at the IBIS in St Quentin and getting the train down on the Sunday.

Mick from Geelong

« Reply #37 on: 05 March, 2023, 10:35:03 pm »
Completing LEL last year meant I could attempt to pre-register as soon as booking went live, and despite having to restart twice, due to the website crashing, I managed to get in the first normal bike 90 hour group G at 17:30. This is 12 hours earlier than my successful group Z 84 hour start times of 2015 and 2019, but after recent serious injuries, I wanted to give myself the full 90 hours allowance this time. I still hope to regain my fitness, stay ahead of the bulge and finish in under 70 hours, so before 15:30 on the Wednesday afternoon.

« Reply #38 on: 11 March, 2023, 11:27:46 am »
I managed to register without much drama this morning in the 90 hour Specials slot at 17:15