Author Topic: The 2023 ACME PBP Thread  (Read 11523 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: The 2023 ACME PBP Thread
« Reply #25 on: 17 July, 2023, 09:39:27 am »
Have you all sorted your accommodation, or hoping for last minute deals? I keep seeing £51-£68 per night for the Fri and Sat nights before the start in cheap hotels around 20km away, but not booked yet. Booked the overnight ferries a few weeks ago.
still procrastinating.

I had thought about booking at Huttopia for the week, so I could just leave my stuff there, but it seems like it's cheaper to book hotel rooms for before and after and PBP provides a left luggage facility at the start/finish as far as I can tell. Last time I was looking there was a reasonable amount of availability, so it didn't seem to be urgent.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #26 on: 17 July, 2023, 01:45:11 pm »
Yes, I only spotted the left luggage info last night. Still pondering where to book. Had no issues with the F1 hotels, and some have been renovated 🤣
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #27 on: 17 July, 2023, 07:38:28 pm »
Just cancelled my camping pitch at Huttopia. Lost the deposit, but booked 3 nights at 2 different hotels instead about 9km out north of Rambouillet. 

Accomodation was scarce around 6 weeks ago, but as BM mentioned there appears to be more available now.
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #28 on: 23 July, 2023, 12:00:13 pm »
Well, I recently realised that there is nearly 12,000 m of climbing in PBP and since the Bare Bones 400 had 4,700 m in 430 km and nearly finished me off - are these routes comparable in terms of climbing? Not sure I could manage 3 Bare Bones in succession!

Thanks! :jurek:

« Reply #29 on: 23 July, 2023, 12:37:11 pm »
Well, I recently realised that there is nearly 12,000 m of climbing in PBP and since the Bare Bones 400 had 4,700 m in 430 km and nearly finished me off - are these routes comparable in terms of climbing? Not sure I could manage 3 Bare Bones in succession!

Around Essex, a typical 200km has circa 1800m of elevation gain. So if the figure for PBP is accurate (I would expect it to be less), you're only talking a small increase in climbing rate overall. But it comes down to the types of climb more than the overall rate. I presume the Bare Bones was in Wales, where the climbs tend to be a bit more severe. This is more tiring, and you are less able to benefit from the downhills. PBP climbs are in the most part pretty benign. From memory there was a long slog over a hill before and after Brest, but the gradient wasn't anything to write home about, and there was one section on the way back where it felt a bit more undulating. But really it is not a ride where elevation is going to a factor. It's about being comfortable riding the distance, and being efficient through controls.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #30 on: 23 July, 2023, 12:38:47 pm »

Around Essex, a typical 200km has circa 1800m of elevation gain. So if the figure for PBP is accurate (I would expect it to be less), you're only talking a small increase in climbing rate overall. But it comes down to the types of climb more than the overall rate. I presume the Bare Bones was in Wales, where the climbs tend to be a bit more severe. This is more tiring, and you are less able to benefit from the downhills. PBP climbs are in the most part pretty benign. From memory there was a long slog over a hill before and after Brest, but the gradient wasn't anything to write home about, and there was one section on the way back where it felt a bit more undulating. But really it is not a ride where elevation is going to a factor. It's about being comfortable riding the distance, and being efficient through controls.

Thank the Lord. And thank you for your advice! :thumbsup:

« Reply #31 on: 23 July, 2023, 12:40:03 pm »
So, on another note, since I haven't even looked at controls, timings, etc - how do you all manage this on such a long ride. Where do you start with planning where you should be and by when?

Thanks,
Nick.

felstedrider

« Reply #32 on: 23 July, 2023, 02:15:14 pm »
So, on another note, since I haven't even looked at controls, timings, etc - how do you all manage this on such a long ride. Where do you start with planning where you should be and by when?

Thanks,
Nick.

I’d probably start by logging into your account and downloading the route and control times.  It will pay dividends if you invest some time now.  You get about 40hrs to get out and 50hrs to get back so beware the cut off times.  There’s a separate thread on this.

Beyond that only you know your abilities and average speed.  It pays to write a conservative plan.  One piece of advice - make sure you allow enough time for passage through controls.

« Reply #33 on: 23 July, 2023, 02:33:39 pm »

Thanks,
Nick.

I’d probably start by logging into your account and downloading the route and control times.  It will pay dividends if you invest some time now.  You get about 40hrs to get out and 50hrs to get back so beware the cut off times.  There’s a separate thread on this.

Beyond that only you know your abilities and average speed.  It pays to write a conservative plan.  One piece of advice - make sure you allow enough time for passage through controls.

Great, thank you - I already have all my documentation downloaded so just need to go through it all now - a spreadsheet is probably in order!

« Reply #34 on: 23 July, 2023, 08:16:13 pm »

Hi Nick, truly, madly, deeply...the climbing on Bare Bones/Severn Across/London-Wales-London is much, much tougher than on PBP which feels practically flat in comparison 
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #35 on: 23 July, 2023, 09:48:13 pm »

Hi Nick, truly, madly, deeply...the climbing on Bare Bones/Severn Across/London-Wales-London is much, much tougher than on PBP which feels practically flat in comparison

Pip, that is music to my ears. Thank you very much indeed :thumbsup:

« Reply #36 on: 23 July, 2023, 09:51:44 pm »
Just eat, sleep, ride, repeat. I’ve never looked at the terrain in each section, worked out what speed I need to do in each section, and can easily spend an hour at controls, and I finish with time to spare. I think I avg 13-14mph on multi-day events. Keep calm and carry on!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #37 on: 23 July, 2023, 10:38:15 pm »
Just eat, sleep, ride, repeat. I’ve never looked at the terrain in each section, worked out what speed I need to do in each section, and can easily spend an hour at controls, and I finish with time to spare. I think I avg 13-14mph on multi-day events. Keep calm and carry on!

Yeah, I will try to do that, no need to over think things but I do like to think a little, at least! It makes me feel better :-D

« Reply #38 on: 24 July, 2023, 08:17:12 pm »
Another question:

What's the tracker like that they give you, does it only register you at controls or can people use it to dotwatch you? I reckin the former but thought I'd ask.

Ta,
Nick.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #39 on: 25 July, 2023, 08:42:22 am »
Another question:

What's the tracker like that they give you, does it only register you at controls or can people use it to dotwatch you? I reckin the former but thought I'd ask.

Ta,
Nick.
it's just a chip that their sensors detect when you pass over them entering controls.

I found mine didn't register at a lot of places last time, i think because the way I fixed the frame badge meant it aligned with the frame or the wheel which blocked the signal. (both carbon and metal can do this apparently)

I only found out when I got a text -> "haven't you started yet?"

When I reported the issue at a control their response; "make sure you don't forget to stamp your brevet" *gallic shrug*

« Reply #40 on: 25 July, 2023, 10:18:57 am »
Another question:

Ta,
Nick.
it's just a chip that their sensors detect when you pass over them entering controls.

I found mine didn't register at a lot of places last time, i think because the way I fixed the frame badge meant it aligned with the frame or the wheel which blocked the signal. (both carbon and metal can do this apparently)

I only found out when I got a text -> "haven't you started yet?"

When I reported the issue at a control their response; "make sure you don't forget to stamp your brevet" *gallic shrug*

Ha ha, great advice there from the controller!

Thanks and I will set a tracker up myself then.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #41 on: 25 July, 2023, 03:19:02 pm »

Thanks,
Nick.

Never do this
At best "kind of aim" to be at control X for a sleep on day one (and probably that won't happen)

« Reply #42 on: 25 July, 2023, 10:40:01 pm »

Thanks,
Nick.

Never do this
At best "kind of aim" to be at control X for a sleep on day one (and probably that won't happen)

Yes, this is exactly the way that my intricate planning pans out!

« Reply #43 on: 25 July, 2023, 10:51:56 pm »
Locks - what do we bring? Big U-Lock or flimsy cafe lock?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: 26 July, 2023, 07:51:56 am »
Locks - what do we bring? Big U-Lock or flimsy cafe lock?

Security at the controls is good (but bikes may still get moved around by riders/marshals). When parking outside a shop en-route, there's always been other (more expensive!) machines there and/or their riders, so I've never locked up. But I carry my flimsy café lock anyway just in case. I'll have my heavy lock for security at the campsite though. In 2015 at our hotel, a Spanish rider had his taken from the roof of his car.     

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #45 on: 26 July, 2023, 09:39:07 am »

Security at the controls is good (but bikes may still get moved around by riders/marshals). When parking outside a shop en-route, there's always been other (more expensive!) machines there and/or their riders, so I've never locked up.

I'm putting this down as fixie privilege, I always locked up at the controls, but only with a cafe lock. If nothing else it stops some sleep deprived rider with a similar steed from taking yours by mistake.

In 2015 at our hotel, a Spanish rider had his taken from the roof of his car.     
Never rely on the locks on cycle carriers, it's not hard to pull the bike out of the down tube clamp, even when locked.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: 27 July, 2023, 07:49:46 pm »
My bike was moved right across the parking at Loudeac in 2007 - took ages to locate it. Maybe marshals needed to redistribute the weight on the 'crowd control barriers' they use at some controls to lean bikes on? I've seen a whole section start to collapse when unevenly weighted - like if a whole peloton take theirs away from one side! Also someone knocked mine over in 2003 - I came back to find the drop of the bars bent in on one side by about an inch. Not ride-ending but annoying. Ever since, if I can find a wall to lean it on or a bit of grass out of the way to lay it down, then I will.

Villaine la Juhel has wooden 'wheel-benders' that don't fit with wider tyres, so again, find a wall!

I have my mascot on my bar bag, which makes locating the bike among hundreds of others relatively easy, even at night in a dimly lit school playground. It also helps that it's a large frame and Carradice bar bags sit high!

« Reply #47 on: 28 July, 2023, 11:11:25 pm »
Thank you, guys for the lock advice.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: 08 August, 2023, 07:48:14 am »
Right, time to get started on an ACME PBP Whatsapp group: PM/email me your phone numbers if you would like to be included (regardless of whether you're riding from Dieppe, or even if you just want to enhance your 'Armchair PBP' back home).

I already have the numbers of many of the usual suspects, but give me permission anyway.

I hope we can meet up on Saturday at the signing on and perhaps for a meal/drink in the evening.

Cheers,
Tomsk

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #49 on: 08 August, 2023, 02:26:20 pm »
Happy to be added even if its just so I can send pictures of alpacas to cheer you all on :D  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen