Author Topic: 10 speed chains...  (Read 6112 times)

Re: 10 speed chains...
« Reply #26 on: 02 February, 2009, 04:29:40 pm »
Ok, thanks, I didn't realise that chain was still available. The only place I've seen one is on a Lifeline chain whip. The X10 chains, which are advertised as compatible with Shimano and Campag, are slightly wider than Shimano chains, but work better (in my experience) with Shimano groups than Shimano chains do.

Edit: should probably add, my experience is of Ultegra and X10-93 chains on 105 and Ultegra cassettes, with 105 shifters and mechs.

« Reply #27 on: 02 February, 2009, 05:12:55 pm »
Thanks both

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #28 on: 17 May, 2009, 09:30:32 pm »
10 speed Campag or Shimano?

If it's Campag I would definitely recommend Mavic.
I'm in the market for a new 10sp chain, CRC don't have Campag Record in stock, so thinking about the Mavic one.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33382
Anyone know why CRC say this?
However, do take care when assembling the quick link).
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #29 on: 17 May, 2009, 09:39:21 pm »

I'm in the market for a new 10sp chain, CRC don't have Campag Record in stock, so thinking about the Mavic one.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33382
Anyone know why CRC say this?
However, do take care when assembling the quick link).

Most likely because it looks very similar to the Connex link, which is directional and needs fitted the right way round or the chain skips/jumps and can undo the link. I had that problem when I first fitted a Connex link. Couldn't work out what was wrong till I read the fitting instructions. I just assumed it was like the SRAM/KMC links where it doesn't matter what way round it goes.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #30 on: 17 May, 2009, 10:12:05 pm »
The Connex link seems to work OK either way round on 13t+ sprockets, but apparently needs to be the correct way round for 11 & 12t.

Campag Record chains are on eBay and DotBike.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 19 May, 2009, 02:26:34 pm »
New (old) bike came with a KMC 10sp chain, with nice powerlink (like on my older bikes). I plan to buy more chains and carry the (spare) powerlinks with me.

What harm is done to a KMC 10sp chain by a chain-tool? (someone used mine last week and the bike went at least 10 miles without symptoms)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #32 on: 19 May, 2009, 04:45:40 pm »
I always found Connex chains to rust at the merest hint of moisture

That's interesting.  I got the bike off the car late monday to see rust on some of the links, quite a bit of it.  This is a stainless steel connex-wipperman chain.  I assume only the plates are actually stainless.
The chain has now been removed and will be scrubbed