Author Topic: Brooks saddles  (Read 1381 times)

Brooks saddles
« on: 19 June, 2023, 02:27:42 pm »
I began my (long) cycling career using a Brooks saddle in the late 1960's but then over the years changed to various other saddles, mostly of the padded plastic sort and have been using a Rolls saddle on all of my bikes for many years now which have been fine.

However, I noticed an advertisement for a Brooks Swift Titanium recently and at a good price, so I bought it.  I am expecting it to arrive tomorrow.  It appears to be well used but still in very good condition.

I am just wondering how it might feel to ride a Brooks saddle again.

Has anyone else gone back to riding a Brooks saddle again after many years?

Re: Brooks saddles
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2023, 03:04:17 pm »
From about 1967 to 1990 I rode Brooks, mainly Professional.  I had an original Pro Select which was excellent.  When the Colt was introduced (early 90s?) I tried that, but it quite quickly collapsed on one side.  I gave in in disgust and took to using Rolls, like you.  They were good enough in that I barely noticed them.  Then, about 2004, I decided to try Brooks again.  I had B17 which were OK, a Pro that collapsed on one side, and two Swifts of which neither lasted more than a few thousand miles before becoming very saggy.  Apart from the Pro, all were comfortable enough bearing in mind I date from days before huge great nappy pads in shorts.  In 2012 I decided to try a Gilles Berthoud Aspin, and found it suited me straight out of the box, so much so that I now have 5 of them.  I still have a 1960s Brooks Pro which is also very nice.

I think the change in leather (this century) has been problematic, not to mention snapped rails (B17 titanium) and snapped nose bolt (B17 steel) and the aforementioned leather distortion.

The short answer is  - yes, I made the move back to leather (if not Brooks) with no regrets.  Your forthcoming Swift may well be a good one.  I certainly found them comfortable before they sagged.

« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2023, 05:00:51 am »
It would be interesting how this saddle appears 'in the flesh'.

I saw this advertised I think, and it did strike me as looking quite well stretched, with the nose at a rather jaunty angle.

Anyhow, report back on receipt, hope it's a good one and gives plenty more miles of service.
Finished with my woman 'cause she couldn't help me with my mind

« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2023, 09:34:21 am »
The saddle arrived first thing this morning as expected.  It has certainly been well used but still in good condition.  I have now fitted it to one of my bikes and just done a quick test ride on it.  The difference between the "Rolls" saddle that I have been using for many years and the "Brooks" is massive.  The Brooks feels like an armchair in comparison but also a little like a hammock as it is well broken in and sagging slightly.

I am hoping to use the Brooks on a 200k Audax in a couple of weeks time so will report back afterwards.

« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2023, 10:18:17 am »
Ribble had a brooks at a good price.

Sold out now.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2023, 10:27:23 am »
Some Brooks saddles suit some bums.  For me:

B17: no, like riding a horse
Team Professional: ok, not ideal
Old Professional: can be great but they're all very old now and vary a lot
Swift: nope
B17 narrow: absolutely not
Swallow: generally great, although I have a Ti one which is inexplicably hard
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2023, 10:30:24 am »
How about the brookes with the springs at the back.

« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2023, 01:01:59 pm »
I try and stay well clear of horses, they are very heavy creatures!  and I have certainly never been on one.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: 20 June, 2023, 01:58:27 pm »
The saddle arrived first thing this morning as expected.  It has certainly been well used but still in good condition.  I have now fitted it to one of my bikes and just done a quick test ride on it.  The difference between the "Rolls" saddle that I have been using for many years and the "Brooks" is massive.  The Brooks feels like an armchair in comparison but also a little like a hammock as it is well broken in and sagging slightly.

I am hoping to use the Brooks on a 200k Audax in a couple of weeks time so will report back afterwards.

I'm "fully Brooksed" on 4 bikes - the occasional use of the Brooks spanner (or an OE one with a bit of patience) adjusts the hammock effect.

« Reply #9 on: 20 June, 2023, 02:06:26 pm »
Have already tried that but the bolt is at the end of its thread.  I am not complaining though as it feels very comfortable (so far!)

« Reply #10 on: 20 June, 2023, 03:09:57 pm »
Some Brooks saddles suit some bums.  For me:

B17: no, like riding a horse
Team Professional: ok, not ideal
Old Professional: can be great but they're all very old now and vary a lot
Swift: nope
B17 narrow: absolutely not
Swallow: generally great, although I have a Ti one which is inexplicably hard

Good point about the sizing and shape.

For years I rode a Rolls, and put up with pelvic pain.

Then had a brief sit on my daughter's Brooks; instant relief.

So I measured my sit bones and bought a B17.

Note that a B17 is only just wide enough for me.  I'd be in agony again on any of the slimmer models.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11 on: 24 July, 2023, 09:34:11 am »
Have now been using my Brooks Swift for over a month now and absolutely love it.  I doubt that I will ever go back to riding a Rolls saddle.

Have just purchased a new Gilles Berthoud Aspin saddle from Spa Cycles too which I will be trying out shortly.

« Reply #12 on: 24 July, 2023, 10:56:20 am »
Last year I did the Raid Alpine and hired a bike with a Rolls. I thought it'd be interesting to try it, but it never got any easier.  Luckily I'd heeded the advice of the tour company (Marmot) and bought my old B17 Ti saddle. After 3 days, I gave up and asked them to fit it in place the Rolls. It was bliss!  And it looked ok on the hire bike, a newish ti framed unbranded machine. 

I have 3 Brooks saddles in use and a couple spare. I did try the Swift but it was too narrow and someone on here bought it off me. I'd like to give the Gilles Berthoud a go one day if it was a bit cheaper!

I think the change in leather (this century) has been problematic, not to mention snapped rails (B17 titanium) and snapped nose bolt (B17 steel) and the aforementioned leather distortion.

WRT the leather, true IME. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #13 on: 24 July, 2023, 01:34:12 pm »

If you can't tension it any further, you might (if you really care to) be able to take up some of the sag by lacing it.

This is doable on the B17s because the sides are long enough. I'm not sure that the swift is the same.

A disadvantage is that the laces might rub on the inside of your thighs.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #14 on: 24 July, 2023, 05:44:09 pm »
Thanks for the tip.

Although it does sag a little, it is actually very comfortable, so I will keep it as it is.

I would imagine that it is a very old saddle.

« Reply #15 on: 26 July, 2023, 07:13:30 am »
Have just purchased a new Gilles Berthoud Aspin saddle from Spa Cycles too which I will be trying out shortly.
I have two GB's now, lovely saddles.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 26 July, 2023, 08:23:17 am »
I have a couple of Aspin Opens, replacing B17 variants.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...