Author Topic: Norovirus - where does the weight GO?  (Read 1754 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Norovirus - where does the weight GO?
« on: 30 July, 2023, 05:00:37 pm »
succumbed 6 days ago. Now I'm eating and riding ok, scales say I lost vv roughly 2-3kg. Seems reasonable after 4 days eating almost nothing!

Where is most of that loss from? I'm guessing water.

(Mainly asking to inform a recovery process for the next 2-3 weeks.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: Norovirus - where does the weight GO?
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2023, 05:23:41 pm »
!? If it was Norovirus then you know where most of the weight went, and it wasn't from not eating, it was the entire existing contents of your stomach and bowels being ejected, along with a lot of water from your body used in the process. That includes a good proportion of your guts 2kg of bacteria and other flora.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2023, 05:58:12 pm »
Assuming you hardly ate, you probably lost a lot of glycogen and its associated water. You might have lost a LITTLE fat (1-2kg).

Glycogen stores are around 400g and each gram of glycogen is tied to around 4g water.

The reverse happens when you eat, drink and are merry over the Festive Season. Many dieting posters gain 3±1kg and are most alarmed by their NYE weight, which is usually more sensible by 10 January, if they resume 'healthy eating'.

You don't really notice when you piss away litres/gallons/kg of water...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2023, 06:36:11 pm »
!?
Yup, good description.
How was it for you?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2023, 10:04:28 pm »
Well as I was being scientific with my bowl cleanse, I did weigh myself before the start and after every time.  Also kept a record of the weight of the fluids going in, the 1l of water being a kilo.

Didn't find there was much loss as I thought there would be after each cleansing moment.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2023, 11:02:36 pm »
I think 'normal' adult stool weight is around 250g/day, with wide variations.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 31 July, 2023, 06:53:58 am »
Well as I was being scientific with my bowl cleanse, I did weigh myself before the start and after every time.  Also kept a record of the weight of the fluids going in, the 1l of water being a kilo.

Didn't find there was much loss as I thought there would be after each cleansing moment.
Top sciencing!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #7 on: 31 July, 2023, 10:31:07 pm »
Thank you, found the results variable so inconclusive.  Would have liked to collect what was released to weigh that too but that is a bit too far.

Was weighed before and 24 hours after surgery not much difference but suspect lack of fluid pre then lots after.  Tho I lost 3kg in hospital.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 31 July, 2023, 10:41:00 pm »
There is a 'metabolic response to trauma' that tends to cause fluid retention immediately after surgery/injury/insult, which is then lost in the urine over the next few days.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 01 August, 2023, 11:17:09 am »
There's also the related post-surgical thing where the medics get twitchy about low blood pressure and start pumping you full of fluids...

« Reply #10 on: 01 August, 2023, 09:31:07 pm »
There's also the related post-surgical thing where the medics get twitchy about low blood pressure and start pumping you full of fluids...

Well my blood pressure was high and then later low then later normal...all cos I have to be thepecial...or the shock of being awoken gives high BP

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 01 August, 2023, 09:47:19 pm »
A healthy circulatory system responds instantly to various stresses, such as being woken...