Author Topic: Continental usb plug adaptor  (Read 2523 times)

Re: Continental usb plug adaptor
« Reply #25 on: 16 September, 2023, 08:08:20 am »
I have a UK multisocket with a continental plug stuck on it for travel. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #26 on: 20 September, 2023, 07:03:18 am »
We used the Anker one with EU plug and four USB holes on our summer tour this year. About £25 I think, worked fine.

« Reply #27 on: 20 September, 2023, 07:56:45 am »
One consideration is that some dodgy forrin sockets are oddly placed and insecure, so any charger (including the ultra small lightweight that rr posted, which can also have unwanted incendiary chinesium characteristics) may drop out, making an external charger with replaceable mains cable my favourite option. If I was looking now, I think I'd prefer to find a small GaN charger with a replaceable mains plug that slides onto the contacts. Not sure who do one like that, tbh, Anker don't seem to, which is a shame.

« Reply #28 on: 20 September, 2023, 08:54:03 am »
If you don't have a power bank, then I'd recommend buying one. 

Very handy if you're travelling.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 20 September, 2023, 02:25:30 pm »
There seems to be a lack of power banks that accept an IEC C7 cable as an input, which would seem to be ideal for this sort of thing.

« Reply #30 on: 20 September, 2023, 04:00:20 pm »
Do you not have some of the older devices (garmin, phone etc.) that came with a usb adapter where the plug pins are removable. The box would then contain both UK 3 pin and european 2 pin plug pieces. For foreign travels in the I have just swapped the pins to change the charger over, but that may something about my family trait of not throwing stuff out which meant I still had the appropriate plug piece.

« Reply #31 on: 20 September, 2023, 06:27:43 pm »
I have a UK multisocket with a continental plug stuck on it for travel.

We have one of these that lives here permanently, daughter for the use of. She left it with a UK plug, saying that she would have to leave an adaptor on the next visit. I just took off the UK plug and put a french one on instead -problem solved!

« Reply #32 on: 21 September, 2023, 08:54:23 am »
There seems to be a lack of power banks that accept an IEC C7 cable as an input, which would seem to be ideal for this sort of thing.

Bit bulky to carry in a pocket, no?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 21 September, 2023, 01:14:12 pm »

Well yes, but plenty of power banks are.  I was thinking at the charge-your-laptop end of the spectrum.  But they (not entirely unreasonably) assume you've got a laptop power supply to hand.

« Reply #34 on: 21 September, 2023, 03:02:37 pm »
I had a thing in the early USB gadget era that was a mains brick in the Apple style with an 18650 wedged in it. It was shite at both jobs.

Charging a power bank over PD means two expensive hot DC-DC converters in series, so there’d be some efficiency in the idea. There are power banks with integrated inverters so mains inside a power bank isn’t an alien idea.

« Reply #35 on: 21 September, 2023, 03:25:57 pm »

Well yes, but plenty of power banks are.  I was thinking at the charge-your-laptop end of the spectrum.  But they (not entirely unreasonably) assume you've got a laptop power supply to hand.
On big power banks, the ones with mains sockets and carrying handles (and even wheels in some cases), there is a mix of charging arrangements. I have seen the barrel connectors for DC, IEC inlets and even IEC 62196 Type 2.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #36 on: 21 September, 2023, 04:36:26 pm »
The OP did mention 'small stuff' but I guess 'small' is relative!

« Reply #37 on: 21 September, 2023, 04:53:15 pm »
Back to the original question. I got a small USB two pin charger in HEMA in NL. Any HEMA store will have them.
Same goes for TigerTiger I would imagine. I would wait till arrival in NL then do some shopping at the train station.