Author Topic: Cyclist who knocked down and killed pensioner  (Read 6223 times)

Re: Cyclist who knocked down and killed pensioner
« Reply #75 on: 17 May, 2024, 08:12:18 am »
If I was entitled to cycle in the middle of a carriageway I would be happy to monitor my speedo.  Unfortunately I have to cycle near the kerb and I don't have the time/space to take my eyes off the road to do so. 
Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.

« Reply #76 on: 17 May, 2024, 08:53:57 am »
If I was entitled to cycle in the middle of a carriageway I would be happy to monitor my speedo.  Unfortunately I have to cycle near the kerb and I don't have the time/space to take my eyes off the road to do so. 

That sounds awfully similar to the argument that it's simply impossible for motorists to obey speed limits as to do so would entail gazing rigidly at their speedometer, to the exclusion of any observation of the road.

Personally when I'm driving I find little trouble looking at several things in rapid succession - road ahead, mirror, road ahead, other mirror, road ahead, speedo, road ahead again (you get the idea ...) and modifying my speed and direction according to this stream of visual inputs.

I think it's a shame you don't feel you have the cognitive abilities to do something similar while cycling, and wonder whether or not you feel able to trust yourself in charge of a motor vehicle.

« Reply #77 on: 17 May, 2024, 09:06:23 am »

Perhaps Rule 72 might be useful? You are allowed to ride in the centre of your lane when appropriate.
I find the primary riding position very useful.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/rules-for-cyclists-road-junctions.html

« Reply #78 on: 17 May, 2024, 11:20:11 am »

That sounds awfully similar to the argument that it's simply impossible for motorists to obey speed limits as to do so would entail gazing rigidly at their speedometer, to the exclusion of any observation of the road.

Personally when I'm driving I find little trouble looking at several things in rapid succession - road ahead, mirror, road ahead, other mirror, road ahead, speedo, road ahead again (you get the idea ...) and modifying my speed and direction according to this stream of visual inputs.

I think it's a shame you don't feel you have the cognitive abilities to do something similar while cycling, and wonder whether or not you feel able to trust yourself in charge of a motor vehicle.

It is similarly awful. A very poor comparison!

I don't feel infallible just walking down the street, let alone controlling machinery.  I live in a state of constant fear.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #79 on: 17 May, 2024, 11:45:32 am »
TV's Nice C Boardman notes that one is more likely to be killed by cows or lightning than by being skittled by a cyclist but even the party that introduced government by because we said so seems reluctant to legislate against either.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #80 on: 18 May, 2024, 02:39:42 pm »
I am not bothered by legislating to punish cyclists like we do drivers, as drivers can break the speed limit, collect as many points on their licence, drive uninsured and kill as many pedestrians as they like with impunity.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #81 on: 18 May, 2024, 08:07:59 pm »
I can't argue against the principle that cyclists should be subject to the same laws regarding dangerous behavoir and endangering life as motorists.
But it should also apply to pedestrians who show dangerous behaviour, such as walking into the road while looking at their phone, with the possiblility of a cyclist trying to avoid them and falling off in front of a car.

I have very little confidence that the judicial system will treat cyclists and motorists equally.

« Reply #82 on: 18 May, 2024, 08:49:28 pm »
I can!
Cars are more dangerous, therefore motorists should be more careful and they should be prosecuted.to a greater extent if they harm someone.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

jwo

« Reply #83 on: 18 May, 2024, 10:35:45 pm »
Digitally illiterate journalists at the Telegraph browse Strava for yesterday's front page banner headline...

That's 52mph for 600m in central London (or a GPS glitch).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #84 on: 19 May, 2024, 07:54:23 am »
I can!
Cars are more dangerous, therefore motorists should be more careful and they should be prosecuted.to a greater extent if they harm someone.

Why should motorists be prosecuted to a greater extent for the same harm delivered? You are confusing risk with outcome. The new highway code attempted to deal with this by laying out a clear hierarchy of vulnerability and associated duty of care.

A cyclist responsible for a fatality should be held accountable, as should a ped, or a horserider, based on the circumstances of the incident, I don't see why this is contentious as a concept? How the law is enacted is clearly political and a completely separate issue
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #85 on: 27 May, 2024, 01:17:33 pm »

Cyclist dies after crash with pedestrian in York

A North Yorkshire Police spokesperson said: “The 24 year old woman sustained minor injuries and was taken to hospital by ambulance for treatment.

“The cyclist, a 30 year old man, received emergency medical treatment by paramedics from land and air ambulances at the scene but was sadly pronounced dead.”

Not sure if the Faily Mail have covered this.

« Reply #86 on: 27 May, 2024, 02:29:52 pm »
Your URL is "home-hit-by-lightning-in-village-east-of-york"

This is the story, very little info: https://yorkmix.com/cyclist-and-pedestrian-injured-in-serious-collision-in-york/

I'd suspect that, on average, a collision between a cyclist and a pedestrian is likely to be worse for the cyclist. Unless they collide head on, the pedestrian will hit the bars on one side or the other causing the cyclist to go flying forward.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #87 on: 29 May, 2024, 09:40:06 pm »
And the date of that article was February 2022.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip