Author Topic: Cold snap on the way  (Read 17034 times)

Re: Cold snap on the way
« Reply #25 on: 05 January, 2009, 06:37:10 pm »
Rain on frozen ground at about 5am this morning covered the roads with glassy ice.

I wimped out and took the car. Even with the obvious dangers several cars had managed to put themselves into ditches or the car in front.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26 on: 05 January, 2009, 06:39:24 pm »
Rain on frozen ground at about 5am this morning covered the roads with glassy ice.

I wimped out and took the car. Even with the obvious dangers several cars had managed to put themselves into ditches or the car in front.

Is that not what one expects on icy roads? ???
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #27 on: 05 January, 2009, 06:58:37 pm »

The conditions were so obvious the there should have been no excuse for being caught by it but people were still driving too fast and too close and then being surprised when the car failed to stop or turn when required - yes I suppose I should expect it but stupidity always depresses me :(
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #28 on: 05 January, 2009, 07:23:07 pm »
About an inch of snow here last night.
This morning, the road outside was a little slippery and, being Sheffield, not level!
We had an entertaining time watching the motons waltzing down the slope towards town...
One lad in a rear wheel drive Merc automatic just did not have a clue how to maintain his grip in this kind of car (i.e. you do not keep the car in gear when trying to stop or the front wheels just lock up and slide!) and ended up stradling our drive and getting repeatedly sideswiped by others gyrating by.
We have chains for these purposes but rarely use them - the car just stays put in the drive most of the time anyway... In these conditions, my cycle commute is either on dirt road or well gritted main roads so thats not usually a problem.

« Reply #29 on: 06 January, 2009, 12:24:18 am »

The conditions were so obvious the there should have been no excuse for being caught by it but people were still driving too fast and too close and then being surprised when the car failed to stop or turn when required - yes I suppose I should expect it but stupidity always depresses me :(

This is one of my gripes re gritting roads.

Cycling home from work tonight - 18:00 - 18:45 I could easily see that the puddles were frozen and there were black ice patches everywhere.  However, as we were on "main roads" which are gritted, most drivers were trundling along at 30mph as per usual and hitting the brakes hard at the junctions as usual.  They weren't driving to "icy conditions" they were driving to "this road has been treated and the ice has gone away conditions".

If roads weren't gritted then everybody would either drive sensibly or stay at home.  There wouldn't be the common trend of driving as though it is a warm sunny day as the problem of ice is "somebody else's problem" which has been eradicated.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #30 on: 06 January, 2009, 12:25:46 am »
I feel that you overestimate the good sense of the average person. ;)

« Reply #31 on: 06 January, 2009, 12:38:14 am »
Nope.  The average person values their car (colleagues refuse to use their cars for long journeys as "it adds wear and tear" so get hire cars  ::-)).  One of my colleagues walks to Southend from Eastwood if it has snowed as he doesn't want to damage his car.

If it was common knowledge that in icy conditions the roads were slippery and there was a high risk of sliding into something, people would either stay at home or learn to drive correctly.  There would be very little of this driving around fast in the belief that the council have eradicated all slipperiness.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #32 on: 06 January, 2009, 06:36:20 am »
It's -8 here at the moment  :o
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #33 on: 06 January, 2009, 09:28:25 am »
Nope.  The average person values their car (colleagues refuse to use their cars for long journeys as "it adds wear and tear" so get hire cars  ::-)).  One of my colleagues walks to Southend from Eastwood if it has snowed as he doesn't want to damage his car.

If it was common knowledge that in icy conditions the roads were slippery and there was a high risk of sliding into something, people would either stay at home or learn to drive correctly.  There would be very little of this driving around fast in the belief that the council have eradicated all slipperiness.

I'm going to agree wholeheartedly with Nutty. Witness New Year's Day...

Amusing moment of the day came on the high road as we saw people turning round in a passing place further ahead. A chap in a new Landrover Disco had been coming the other way and we had seen him explaining all sorts to the people who were turning round. His window came down when alongside and he explained that further on there were about 30 metres of sheet ice and it was 'interesting'.

Do you have 4 wheel drive? he asked, looking at our Mini... Erm, no. But we'll have a look. Two of the u-turners also informed us of the sad state of affairs. And yet we plugged on. No ice. No ice. No ice. Ooh look, some ice... About 10 metres worth, if that, on a straight section of road. Approach slowly and sensibly, feet off the pedals and... Over. No drama.

Now the guy was really just trying to help, obviously, and that's a good thing. But it really struck as a typical modern urban 4x4 driver over-reacting and thinking he only got over things because of his wondrous beast, and also this society we live in that has no idea about real versus apparent danger or problems. Perceptions these days rule the roost. Perhaps that's why the Daily Wail sells as well as it does. After all, we've all got to keep our kids inside in case the illegal immigrant asylum seeking eastern European paedophiles who killed our people's princess get them...

And so we got into Glen Lyon, rather than forlornly turning back. Followed a little later by a number of other cars. None of them four wheel drive. And none sporting ice-related-leaving-the-road-dents.

I actually ended up shouting at BBC Breakfast again today with their top story of 'It was a bit chilly last night and so there might be ice on the roads so they're terribly terribly dangerous'. Although the reporter did point out at one stage that it might slow people down.

It's January FFS, it gets cold, it gets icy, so get over it.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #34 on: 06 January, 2009, 09:36:29 am »
I like how the BBC had an AA man in saying that half the winter prangs were numpties pulling out of their drives...

...ice exposes the numpty for what he is.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #35 on: 06 January, 2009, 09:40:48 am »
I'm in favour of gritting.

Driving or cycling on sustained sections of ice isn't fun. Or simple.

It's tyres chains or gritting.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #36 on: 06 January, 2009, 09:44:11 am »
A couple of years ago I was proceeding down a narrow lane which forms part of the Fixer-Friendly route to work.  The first four hundred yards of said lane are ruler-straight, yet Mr Numpty-Cavalierdriver had still managed to spin into the hedge about halfway along the straight.  Colour me baffled.

Shortly afterwards Nice Man in an Audi actually stopped to warn me of an icy section on an approaching Up.  I did get a bit of wheelspin (on 64") but the next corner was worse coz the road is always wet there.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #37 on: 06 January, 2009, 09:47:55 am »
It's -8 here at the moment  :o
My thermometer still read -8°C when I set it at about 8.45 this morning - and that was as cold as it got all night. That means today's minimum will be -8 as well - unless tonight it's colder. The minimum temperatures I've recorded so far this year are -1, -8, -8, -6, -8. 2nd & 3rd were because it was -8 when I set the thermometer at about 7 o'clock on Saturday morning.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #38 on: 06 January, 2009, 10:04:29 am »
We've just had -8.6 according to our local weather-nerd.

Trouble is. 4x4s are sold as go anywhere, but then provided with the wrong tyres and the wrong drivers.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #39 on: 06 January, 2009, 10:52:06 am »
Yes.  Yesterday I watched a Land Rover Discovery (older shape) struggling like mad on the ice outside my house while all the "little cars" were driving fine.

« Reply #40 on: 06 January, 2009, 10:59:38 am »
What is with all the loons in shorts leaving their poor knees open to the elements?!

I know London is not as cold as everywhere else, but it's still freezing.

« Reply #41 on: 06 January, 2009, 11:01:17 am »
Sadly put the bike away until it warms up a bit.

Just dont trust some of the idiot drivers these days and would rather ride my bike in nicer weather than be laid up with some broken bones.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #42 on: 06 January, 2009, 11:04:33 am »
According to the ever reliable Metcheck (ha!), it was -40 here at 8 o'clock this morning. And, no, I haven't moved to Siberia.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #43 on: 06 January, 2009, 11:20:45 am »
I actually ended up shouting at BBC Breakfast again today with their top story of 'It was a bit chilly last night and so there might be ice on the roads so they're terribly terribly dangerous'. Although the reporter did point out at one stage that it might slow people down.

I shouted at the moving picture box this morning too.  "Several schools are closed due to the severe frost".  FFS!  What's wrong with this country?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: 06 January, 2009, 11:30:57 am »
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #45 on: 06 January, 2009, 11:38:26 am »

I shouted at the moving picture box this morning too.  "Several schools are closed due to the severe frost".  FFS!  What's wrong with this country?

Simple. Teachers can't afford to live near the schools, so they end up commuting by car. Massive traffic jams, teachers late = school can't open 'cause not enough staff (staffing ratios are a legal requirement).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #46 on: 06 January, 2009, 11:47:50 am »
School heating systems are famously flaky in the cold.  No heating = no safe warm environment for kids to study.  School closed. 

No great "ffs!" about it. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

border-rider

« Reply #47 on: 06 January, 2009, 11:50:46 am »
I did my mock O levels in 1979, which was both a damn cold January with real sno, and also the year the Headmaster decided to turn off the heating over Christmas to save a bit of money.  Bingo: burst pipes, no heating, school closed. 

We had to go in and sit our exams though, sitting in the assembly hall in coats, scarves & gloves in abso-bloody-lutely freezing temperatures

LE

« Reply #48 on: 06 January, 2009, 11:53:57 am »
I did my mock O levels in 1979, which was both a damn cold January with real sno, and also the year the Headmaster decided to turn off the heating over Christmas to save a bit of money.  Bingo: burst pipes, no heating, school closed. 

We had to go in and sit our exams though, sitting in the assembly hall in coats, scarves & gloves in abso-bloody-lutely freezing temperatures

I remember taking an examined essay under similar conditions, when I was at University.  At one point they were taking us out of the room in threes, so we could run out hands under warm water, so we could hold pens and write.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #49 on: 06 January, 2009, 11:55:17 am »
Here's a puzzle: the flat roof next door but one to us is in the sun, but still has yesterday's snow on it. Less than half an inch fell, which would melt very quickly if once the temp. got above 0.

Our solar panel is doing its feeble best, and the water in the top of our tank is 25°C. The temperature half-way down the tank is 13°C.

Why is the sun warming our panel but not melting the snow?