22 (32.4%)
Ok for the basics, some bargains
39 (57.4%)
Tat for the masses - overpriced
1 (1.5%)
Support your LBS instead
6 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Decathlon  (Read 13599 times)

vince

Decathlon
« on: March 29, 2008, 08:04:19 am »
[2006]

I needed some new SPDs today - my 515s having developed an alarming amount of lateral play around the spindle. I got a pair of 520s for £25 - they are a couple of quid cheaper at the excellent Chain Reaction website but mailorder is problematic for me at the moment and Decathlon is just down the Ecclesall Road for me.

I got the last pair for a good price and they had some other stuff that seemed reasonably priced, some own brand bargains but the choice wasn't great compared to the bike shops around here (which aren't open on a Sunday). Overall, I would say ok for something specific if it's local but not worth a special trip.

The website seems poor and inconsistent between the UK and French sites.

Re: Decathlon
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:52:02 pm »
There are some things I buy at Decathlon, others I buy elsewhere. I mainly buy sports drink (powdered) and some clothes at Decathlon. Parts only if they are really cheap & good quality or if they are hard to get at other stores (French style parts).

ed_o_brain

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:58:38 pm »
Quite impressed with Decathlon - Seemed to have a reasonable range of spares and kit in the Stockport branch. I bought several pairs of the mid priced shorts and cheap short sleeved jerseys and they are doing me wonderful service for commuting.

On a tight budget they are a useful resource.

I was intrigued by their current range topping road bike - Titanium main triangle with a carbon rear triangle!

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:03:02 pm »
I like their road shoes, cheap and hardwearing. My favourite overshoes are theirs too from 5 years or so ago. I like browsing there and usually pick something up cheaply such as fleece ski shirts or socks for winter commuting.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 10:08:09 pm »
I sometimes go there to browse around, look at the cute french girls and drink a coffee. The sandwiches in the Surrey Quay store are excellent!

Their cheap (6 or 7 quid) lycra shorts are rock solid, the pad is basic and quite thin, but that seems to work best for me on long rides.

I got myself a store card, primarily so I can use it to prove date of purchase in case I need to exchange a product. Once had to get a refund on some spd pedals (wellgo's) and had absolutely no problem getting it, although it was because of a problem with the bearings which had become evident after I had mounted/used the pedals.
"Many, also, are the hills that lie between, and we must ascend, by a glorious stairway, from strength to strength."
- Petrarch, 'The Ascent of Mount Ventoux', 1336

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 10:20:24 pm »
Decathlon do really good thin fleeces for about 7 quid. Not windproof, but cheap and light enough to stuff in the panniers for a good mid layer.

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 10:31:26 pm »
Decathlon do really good thin fleeces for about 7 quid. Not windproof, but cheap and light enough to stuff in the panniers for a good mid layer.

Got a couple of those, the great thing about them is that the back is a tad longer than the front so they cover the lower back very nicely when riding :)
"Many, also, are the hills that lie between, and we must ascend, by a glorious stairway, from strength to strength."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 10:46:22 pm »
Decathlon website have pretty much always been shite. Go to the store, I have used it here in the UK and France and always liked their own brand. Cheap, durable and fits me.
#bollockstobrexit

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 11:08:59 pm »
It's better now than it used to be... the translations from french to english (of sorts) have always been quite funny

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 09:44:13 pm »
A little story ...

My brother bought one of their low-end Sport bikes in early 2008 - it was £164 in one of their mad deals - reasonable spec for the price etc. he was happy.

About 3 weeks ago half the teeth fell off a sprocket on the cassette ... he asked me if he could borrow chainwhip, lockring tool etc to replace cassette .... but also called Decathlon on the off-chance that it might be under warranty.

Upshot was that they asked him to take the bike back (Surrey Quays branch - he lives at Stevenage) and they would sort it, possibly replacing the bike!    He was going that way so took it back - they took one look and replaced the bike - with the latest Sport model that retails at £499 (ali frame, carbon fork, STIs etc) ... result.

The real pisser is that they wouldn't let him keep the old bike at a nominal cost ... I offered £75,

But excellent service - £164 - 18 months use - £499 replacement

Rob

Treewheeler

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 10:10:58 pm »
Your making that up! ;)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 08:34:02 am »
Your making that up! ;)

I'm sad to say that no I am not ... the swine (my brother, that is) rode to my house on it last week to show me the new machine.  ::-)

It really is a nice bike for the money (that's the £500) - well specced, the only downside is that it has a white saddle and white bar tape.

Rob

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 10:27:27 pm »
Decathlon in France:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Decathlon in the UK: JJB anyone?  ::-)

But yes, some good base products; e.g. base layers, "dry fit" type shirts, cycling/running socks, some running shoes (at least in France)... Bikes used to be very good too. I haven't looked at the more recent range, but it seems broader in France than over here.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 07:05:20 pm »
It's better now than it used to be... the translations from french to english (of sorts) have always been quite funny
I've been very happy with my
Anti-Frottage Cream
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

plum

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 11:18:02 am »
Drag an old thread up to mention that they're opening 2 new stores. Finally we get one in brum, plus another in Reading.

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 11:27:34 am »
According to their website, the new Birmingham branch is due to open on 18th November, but having passed the new site recently, they are still clearing the landand have yet to start any building work.  Perhaps they meant 18th November 2011

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 11:57:27 am »
Reading is now full of signs advertising the opening of the new one here, on October 21st. It's an existing building, & I saw that they were fitting it out when I passed by last month.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 07:54:42 pm »
Reading is now full of signs advertising the opening of the new one here, on October 21st. It's an existing building, & I saw that they were fitting it out when I passed by last month.
Ooh, that's good news. (although I hate shopping in Reading!) Which end is it? Can I do a sweep of it via Evans? Or via AW Cycles?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 10:44:09 am »
It's in the Forbury Retail Park, in what was once the back of the Huntley & Palmers factory, by the prison.

Kenavon Drive, Reading -

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=472482&y=173547&z=110&sv=Kenavon+Drive&st=6&tl=Map+of+Kenavon+Drive,+Reading,+RG1&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 01:38:48 pm »
Ta. A short ride or a long walk!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 10:58:05 pm »
I've bought a few things from Decathlon in Poland. A long-sleeved jersey that seems ok, though perhaps not the most breathable of fabrics, a mini pump that fits under a bottle cage and was quite a bargain at (the equivalent of) about 2 gbp, and some little bits that you have to search for otherwise, like those caps that go on the end of cables. I also have a pair of their baggy shorts which I actually bought from a LBS in India (where due to FDI laws they only operate on a cash & carry / wholesale basis). Those are not bad. Good pockets. I've glanced at their other sports and they cover things like equestrianism which you might not expect a general sports shop to deal with. How this compares to the UK stores I do not know. The website now allows you to check on the stock in your local store, which is good.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 12:00:50 pm »
Bought a Forme 3 (renamed to Fit 3 following legal threats from this lot - despite 'Forme' being the french for 'Fit' and extremely unlikely the bikes would be confused) for the bargain price of £220 at the end of June, from the Decathlon in Wednesbury.

The spanner monkey who put the bike together made a hash of putting the right pedal in, which ended up with it working loose and making a mess of the crank.

Took the bike back to Decathlon.  Replacement crankset would take 10-15 days to arrive from warehouse in France.  So they agreed to upgrade the replacement crankset for free so that I could have the bike back same day.

Tha's what I call service!  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 01:37:02 pm »
Just had a flyer to say that one's opening up in Oxford soon!

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 02:19:30 pm »
Their current stock of 100% merino short and long-sleeved zipped base layers are great and around half the price you'd pay elsewhere.  Not cycling-specific but that's irrelevant for base layers.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 07:12:14 pm »
Their current stock of 100% merino short and long-sleeved zipped base layers are great and around half the price you'd pay elsewhere.  Not cycling-specific but that's irrelevant for base layers.
Disagree - a decent length back is really useful.

Luckily my only Decathlon one - about 3 years old now - is fine  :thumbsup: ["Quencha" branded IIRC ? ] Bring on the Oxford branch!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------