Author Topic: Splinter under the nail  (Read 15691 times)

annie

Splinter under the nail
« on: 02 January, 2009, 08:41:22 pm »
I have a splinter underneath one of my nails, it bloody hurts.

I have tried to remove it by cutting the nail, lifting the nail, soaking, poking a needle underneath (let me tell you that I almost passed out) and have failed.  It is hurting big time and throbbing.

Apart from cutting off my finger to distract me from the pain does anyone have any sensible ideas?

I have no idea how it got there but imagine it was whilst I was chopping wood or out in the woods with the dogs.

Re: Splinter under the nail
« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2009, 08:50:05 pm »
Hi Annie

Happy New Year! :-\

I don't know what to advise but, I seem to remember that something similar happened to me and it came out by itself eventually, lubricated by the pus the infection gave rise to!  Not a cheerful notion, but we can but hope.  Hope you'll be recovered enough for a ride some time in 2009!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2009, 08:52:19 pm »
Cut the hand of and you will never have that problem :)

I had the same some years ago, I drank some beers and let the pain do its worst and then the next day when it was nice a swollen up with infection I poked it with a hot needle.

Boy the relief and the fountain of pus coming out was pretty awesome, there was some pain after but nothing compared to what it was :)    
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #3 on: 02 January, 2009, 08:57:30 pm »
GP in the morning. Oh, hang on, they're not open till Monday. If that seems too far away, try A&E.  This is (IMO) exactly what they're there for.

You can only bring one hand to bear on a poorly paw.  Even if it's just (!) a nurse who sorts you out, they can use both hands, tweezers, microscopes, and all sorts of other clever kit.

I remember the agony of a splinter under a nail.  It was at school, practising Mountain Rescue ("How to lift a casualty onto a stretcher"), but in a wooden-floored classroom.  And the casualty was lying perpendicular to the wood's grain.

Can we work an "Annie-drocles and the Lion" pun in here somewhere?
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

annie

« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2009, 08:57:45 pm »
Nothing like a bit of pus. :sick:

Happy New Year to you too Martin.

annie

« Reply #5 on: 02 January, 2009, 09:00:46 pm »
GP in the morning. Oh, hang on, they're not open till Monday. If that seems too far away, try A&E.  This is (IMO) exactly what they're there for.

You can only bring one hand to bear on a poorly paw.  Even if it's just (!) a nurse who sorts you out, they can use both hands, tweezers, microscopes, and all sorts of other clever kit.

I remember the agony of a splinter under a nail.  It was at school, practising Mountain Rescue ("How to lift a casualty onto a stretcher"), but in a wooden-floored classroom.  And the casualty was lying perpendicular to the wood's grain.

Can we work an "Annie-drocles and the Lion" pun in here somewhere?

Hee hee.

I am cycling tomorrow, leaving about 7.30am.  I will stick something over the nail to cusion it and then just pray.

I feel a bit sick even talking about it and I daren't try to stick anything else under the nail for fear of passing out.

« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2009, 09:23:13 am »
I'm feeling the pain just reading this. Manged a splinter under my nail last year when hunting through a big box of reduced veggie seeds. Thankfully the end was still poking out so Dan could pull it but boy did I feel faint.

rae

« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2009, 09:56:07 am »
Assuming your Tetanus is up to date, let it infect and drive itself out.   The alternative would be digging which is painful as you've found out.  I suppose the local A&E might give you a local....

« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:11:27 am »
Ouch, poor Pixie.

:-* :-*

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:41:18 am »
I'm sure you have tried sucking it out  and/or  something similar.

Usually there is a bit sticking out that a small pair of pliers can reach.

Best of luck anyway :D
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #10 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:45:05 am »
How to Remove a Splinter Under Your Fingernail - wikiHow

Maybe too late for you now though. A call to NHS Direct would be my course of action, they'll say if a visit to A&E is appropriate

iakobski

« Reply #11 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:53:22 am »
Magnesium Sulphate.

Totally smother the whole of the end of the finger with magnesium sulphate then form a loose pouch over it with waterproof plasters. This leaves room for it to come out and keeps the magnesium sulphate moist. Leave all day/overnight then when you remove the plasters the splinter will be most of the way out.

Worked for one of our kids - the splinter turned out to be over 15 mm long, much further than just under the nail, and was out in the morning.

annie

« Reply #12 on: 03 January, 2009, 06:06:02 pm »
Some great tips there thank you.

Am going to look for the magnesium sulphate now.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:37:46 pm »
How to Remove a Splinter Under Your Fingernail - wikiHow

Maybe too late for you now though. A call to NHS Direct would be my course of action, they'll say if a visit to A&E is appropriate

FTFY ::-)
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #14 on: 03 January, 2009, 11:23:20 pm »
Ouch.  :-X

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #15 on: 04 January, 2009, 12:54:59 am »
Stick your finger in a very powerful vacuum cleaners hose and create an air tight seal :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #16 on: 04 January, 2009, 01:27:44 am »
Stick your finger in a very powerful vacuum cleaners hose and create an air tight seal :)

So we need a selfless volunteer,  to gently suck Annie's fingers....... :P
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

annie

« Reply #17 on: 04 January, 2009, 08:11:43 am »

So we need a selfless volunteer,  to gently suck Annie's fingers....... :P

Oh :o

« Reply #18 on: 04 January, 2009, 07:20:19 pm »
Is it still in ?

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #19 on: 04 January, 2009, 07:26:49 pm »
Some great tips there thank you.

Am going to look for the magnesium sulphate now.

Definitely Magnesium Sulphate   :thumbsup:  I always keep some in the cupboard for splinters, we get sharp metal shards in the hands often at work.
"Don't stop pedalling"

annie

« Reply #20 on: 04 January, 2009, 07:35:33 pm »
Still there sadly.  I can't find the mag sulphate so will have to wait until the morning.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #21 on: 04 January, 2009, 07:42:34 pm »
Is it still in ?
:o :o :o :o
A gentleman should really NOT ask that of a lady.  Not in a public forum, anyway.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 04 January, 2009, 10:47:07 pm »
Sorry, I've been away for the weekend.
If that splinter is still present, it needs to come out.
As you're unlikely to have a spare hand or the necessary eqipment, I think it's reasonable to seek help from someone who doess, like a Minor Injuries Unit, GP or A&E.
Otherwise, cut a V shaped notch out of the edge of the nail over the splinter and grip the splinter with fine tweezers...
Get  well/help soon.
These things usually do get infected, causing even more pain.

annie

« Reply #23 on: 05 January, 2009, 08:18:29 am »
Sorry, I've been away for the weekend.
If that splinter is still present, it needs to come out.
As you're unlikely to have a spare hand or the necessary eqipment, I think it's reasonable to seek help from someone who doess, like a Minor Injuries Unit, GP or A&E.
Otherwise, cut a V shaped notch out of the edge of the nail over the splinter and grip the splinter with fine tweezers...
Get  well/help soon.
These things usually do get infected, causing even more pain.

Thank you :-*

The top of the finger looks quite red this morning and it is more painful.  I shall call the surgery but I don't hold out much hope of getting an appointment.  I'll cut a V shape first and see if that aids the removal. :sick:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #24 on: 05 January, 2009, 12:37:04 pm »
Do any of your local hospitals have a minor injury unit?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.