Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 875593 times)

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #1675 on: 30 December, 2011, 03:37:14 pm »
A trip to the LBS with Son, Bought a new MTBSO for him (and associated accessories) and a chain cleanimg machine thingummy  for me.

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #1676 on: 30 December, 2011, 03:55:11 pm »
New chainset,bottom bracket and 2 wheels
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

« Reply #1677 on: 30 December, 2011, 04:28:52 pm »
Well...a day or too late wandering into the sale at Sigma Sport (in Kingston) - on the vague offchance, given that I thought I'd bought all the gear I wanted this year. Happened to find a Mavic Hydro jacket for 75 quid (normally ~140 or more) and a Northwave fleecy jersey for 20 quid :) The jacket was a particularly good find since the offset zip's perfect for 'bent use, and not many manufacturers do 'em that way...

Tried some Sportful no-rain bib longs which would have been a good buy at about 50 quid, dunno what height they're made for cos both the small and med seemed to have a little too much material bunching in the legs, and it's not like I'm either short, or skinny in the leg department.
(Otherwise, the general impression was Nureyev-like, particularly given the size/placing of the front of the seatpad  :D )

« Reply #1678 on: 30 December, 2011, 05:47:55 pm »
Two chainrings from Spa Cycles arrived today. I was very pleased, thinking I could now put Mrs B's road bike back on the road. Prompt delivery - ordered Tuesday night.

Then I found that I'd lost one of the spacers for the inner ring. And I have no spares!
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1679 on: 30 December, 2011, 06:07:32 pm »
Order a new one now - then the missing one will turn up.

Otherwise, are you sure you can't molish one out of anything until a spare arrives?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #1680 on: 30 December, 2011, 06:12:07 pm »
Maybe I could improvise one from a few washers.

Tomorrow I'll see if there's an LBS which sells sets of suitable chainring bolts. If not, I'll order a set from Spa, which I know sells exactly the right bits, cursing at having to pay a second set of postage. I should have bought a set with the chainrings. Spares are always useful.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1681 on: 31 December, 2011, 10:44:16 am »
I have just bought 4 frames, two old Carltons and an old Raliegh and a mystery frame.

And I bet they're all too small, aren't they?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1682 on: 31 December, 2011, 12:14:08 pm »
I've bought something which will make TGL very very happy indeed.  But it isn't something I've bought for him.  It's for me, and he gets a cast-off ;)
And we got it today, despite Parcelfarce.

It's a black Hope Vision One.  For me. :)

But it means that TGL gets the blue one off me which I got from a forumite.  It isn't pristine, by any means, but his reaction was 'Awesome!' :D
Getting there...

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #1683 on: 31 December, 2011, 01:41:32 pm »
Today the postman has delivered a saddle and rear dérailleur to go with my spare pare of pedals.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1684 on: 31 December, 2011, 04:43:32 pm »
Today the postman has delivered a saddle and rear dérailleur to go with my spare pare of pedals.

*ahem* I respectfully point the honourable gentleman to my post upthread WRT frames.... :)

In other news, on a visit to TK Maxx I purchased two of their Merino base layers.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1685 on: 31 December, 2011, 04:55:08 pm »
A pair of Versa brake/gear levers to put the Alfine hub on my Peregrine.

Which is just as well because in the 'last fettle of 2011' I had to change a cone and bearings on the hub of my Swift. A greater than usual lack of ept means that I can't get it spinning freely. With guests arriving I then had to take the wheel from the Peregrine, remove the cassette and fit a single sprocket, take the tyre from the Alfine wheel and fit this to the old Peregrine wheel (with me so far?) then fit the tyre that was on the Peregrine onto the Alfined wheel. In a continued run of form I managed to pinch the tube on the Alfine wheel :facepalm:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1686 on: 31 December, 2011, 05:09:17 pm »
Some of these:

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/restraps-diagonal-pedal-belts-935-p.asp

To go with a pair of these:

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/gusset-prosecutor-pedal---great-with-restrapspowergrips-940-p.asp

Both of which will go on the Pugsley, which may well be delivered by the end of January ;D

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #1687 on: 31 December, 2011, 05:34:58 pm »

*ahem* I respectfully point the honourable gentleman to my post upthread WRT frames.... :)

At the moment I'm thinking of going for one of these frames to go with them: http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/frames/equilibrium

« Reply #1688 on: 31 December, 2011, 06:25:32 pm »
(ordered) An Ultegra SL triple from Merlin at £74.95 minus 10% with basket pushed over £100.

£67.50 for an Ultegra triple seems worth it for the chain rings and bottom bracket cups alone.

tiermat

« Reply #1689 on: 31 December, 2011, 06:52:17 pm »
(ordered) An Ultegra SL triple from Merlin at £74.95 minus 10% with basket pushed over £100.

£67.50 for an Ultegra triple seems worth it for the chain rings and bottom bracket cups alone.

It is a fine price indeed, as the middle rings are ~£30-40 each and the BBs are ~£25.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #1690 on: 02 January, 2012, 03:24:21 pm »
Not 1, not 2 but 4 bike frames.

1 * Raleigh Criterium
1 * 1979 Carlton Continental
1 * 1959 Carlton Continental
1 * basic steel framed jobbie.

Oh and a chainset and front and rear mechs for the Raliegh (which are not needed as I have rebuilt my fixie using that frame :) )

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1691 on: 02 January, 2012, 03:32:45 pm »
Any of them the right size, or are they all too small?

« Reply #1692 on: 02 January, 2012, 03:42:16 pm »
  ;D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

tiermat

« Reply #1693 on: 02 January, 2012, 03:47:10 pm »

:P

One Carlton is the right size (for me), and the Raleigh is the right size.

I may have a cunning plan for the second Carlton, but it doesn't involve me removing body parts......

« Reply #1694 on: 03 January, 2012, 07:42:54 pm »
One of these...........

.......an Endura Baa Baa Merino Flat Cap  ;D

« Reply #1695 on: 04 January, 2012, 02:42:50 pm »
I bought these valve caps on ebay  :)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1696 on: 05 January, 2012, 04:04:37 pm »
A pair of second hand wheels off of a Scott Sub 30 from someone at work. The rear hub feels a little rough (he's only ridden them 40ish miles before upgrading, in which case I don't think much of the person who assembled the hub in the first place), but other than that they look fine and shiny :)

« Reply #1697 on: 05 January, 2012, 08:09:52 pm »
A very yellow Altura Nevis arrived today thanks to this tip off by A Warwickshire Lad.  It was sold as a second and has a small blemish in the material that makes it look like I have been stabbed between the shoulder blades.  It is a very different jacket from my old, dying, Nevis and the fit is somewhat baggy but for £10 I can't complain.  I guess that I can use the money that I saved to eat more pies.

I have just tested it on a quick ride to Tesco and didn't get wet, sweaty or squashed so that'll do me.

« Reply #1698 on: 05 January, 2012, 11:01:38 pm »
I've ordered some Sugru. With this I plan to make my Garmin Edge bouncy for the next time I drop it, and to manufacture some cable tidying solutions for both the bike and home. I might also molish a grippy ergonomic handle for my favourite drill.