Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 876470 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3000 on: 05 February, 2013, 07:27:26 pm »
Went onto another cycle forum and said that I'd bought two pairs of  Assos F1 Uno S5 shorts, but found they were no more comfortable than the  £30 Funkier 10 panel shorts I had in my wardrobe.

I took some abuse from one of the contributors (a roadie?) who said that there must be something wrong with my arse if I didn't find Assos shorts comfortable.  ???

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3001 on: 06 February, 2013, 12:48:23 am »
regarding assos shorts - i'd find them comfortable and reasonable quality if not one major flaw - the rubber band  is too tight around thighs, digs into and constricts blood flow. after few rides they found a place in the depths of a wardrobe

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3002 on: 06 February, 2013, 12:48:17 pm »
a bag (64pcs) of yellow veloplugs has just arrived from germany! it means i could make my project bike rideable tonight, but i'll resist the temptation and wait for few dedicated parts to arrive.

« Reply #3003 on: 06 February, 2013, 10:43:07 pm »
A replacement Specialized Echelon helmet for the one I destroyed 10 days ago crashing on black ice  :-\

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3004 on: 07 February, 2013, 12:33:36 pm »
A backpack, for when I go away, to carry helmet, shoes etc.

Some workshop allen keys

Some knee warmers (in a slightly smaller size, to prevent the Nora Batty look)

A rear light, full width rack stylee

A couple of SS cogs for the Day One, in case I decide to keep it and want different gearing.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #3005 on: 07 February, 2013, 12:42:39 pm »
I've been busy again.   ::-)

I've been looking at getting a second pair of panniers, so that I can use all 4 on the Circe Helios tandem, when in cargo bike mode.  My long serving Karrimor ones are marked as 50-75 litre so I went for the Altura Dryline 56 which seem even bigger than the Karrimor ones.  I also bought some tandem gear cables, plus (seeing as I had a 25% Wiggle discount voucher on dhb clothes), £150's worth of assorted tops, shorts and longs.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #3006 on: 07 February, 2013, 09:11:35 pm »
Some inner tubes for the Brommie.
Advena ego sum in Terra

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3007 on: 07 February, 2013, 09:15:02 pm »
A couple of Sturmey-Archer fulcrum clips so I can fit my S3X hub onto the yellow Genesis.

Of particular note are the two sizes that I ordered: 3/4" (so far, so boring) and .... 45/64"(!) - when SunRace took over Sturmey-Archer they obviously inherited their collection of extremely bizarrely imperial-sized pingfuckits1

1 - the chainstay on the Genesis is approximately 18mm diameter, so one of these two should do the trick. I suspect that the 45/64" will be the better fit (45/64" = 17.85mm)

fuzzy

« Reply #3008 on: 08 February, 2013, 09:19:51 am »
A brace of tubes and a bottle of citrus degreaser.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3009 on: 08 February, 2013, 02:49:38 pm »
Not quite, but early next week I hope to be able to buy a cyclepath. We got the funding for men, chainsaws, diggers and a few dozen meters of plastic pipe so can get going on turning the first mile of the Newtyle Deviation into a cycle/walk/horse path. (The last few miles are already done.)

This is what it looks like at the moment:

Fallen trees below Millhole by davidmamartin, on Flickr

but hopefully it will be clear and cycleable (but not for NSTN - MTB/cross only at present) within a few weeks.

Excited? Me?

:D

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3010 on: 08 February, 2013, 02:58:43 pm »
I've just splashed out on a couple of Planet X merino LS tops. My others are way past their sell by date.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3011 on: 08 February, 2013, 04:32:51 pm »
I've just ordered a Fenix BT20.

Oh &#!%, I suppose that means I actually intend to do the 24 this year.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3012 on: 08 February, 2013, 07:12:38 pm »
Yesterday, on the way to accompany barakta to the optiquack (they tend to panic when they check the glasses fit round her ears and discover she has bolts in the side of her head), I started off the 2013 cycling-related orange cardboard collection.  First up, Rollright Stones ride, then a couple of FNRttCs   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3013 on: 08 February, 2013, 10:42:30 pm »
More yesterday than today, but my new jerseys, cap and bib shorts in new Bristol Thursday Oldtime Cyclists livery arrived. Many thanks to Dinamo who did all the ordering and distribution of the goods.
It's a little chilly for the shorts this week so I have yet to try them on. I think the tortoise logo suits my riding style very well :D

« Reply #3014 on: 08 February, 2013, 11:41:53 pm »
A bike alarm, only £8 on Amazon, fiddly to set up and reset every time but hey, if anyone has knowledge of a decent sensor cycle alarm pls let me know
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3015 on: 09 February, 2013, 02:25:03 pm »
I might have accidentally ordered one of these for the yellow Genesis:

B17 standard in yellow ochre. OK, so it's not in-yer-face yellow, but it'll do. Soon, all the Genesii will have colour-coordinated saddles (both the Surlys already have on account of being black :) )

« Reply #3016 on: 09 February, 2013, 05:01:35 pm »
Yay! (See, I told you they existed! ;))

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3017 on: 09 February, 2013, 05:04:12 pm »
You now have my permission to say 'I told you so'  :P

Having looked at the Brooks website it would appear that orangeMandarin has been discontinued :(

« Reply #3018 on: 09 February, 2013, 05:54:42 pm »
A bike alarm, only £8 on Amazon, fiddly to set up and reset every time but hey, if anyone has knowledge of a decent sensor cycle alarm pls let me know
                            I have come upon a You Tube of this - GardSave GS101 Two-Way Wireless Bicycle Alarm System - It seems exactly what I want/need, I cannot however find a supplier/dealer, has anyone any knowledge please  :)

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3019 on: 09 February, 2013, 05:58:32 pm »

Having looked at the Brooks website it would appear that orangeMandarin has been discontinued :(

SJS still have them in stock though

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brooks-b17-standard-leather-saddle-2011-additional-colour-range-prod25169/
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #3020 on: 09 February, 2013, 06:00:22 pm »
  :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3021 on: 09 February, 2013, 06:20:05 pm »

SJS still have them in stock though

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brooks-b17-standard-leather-saddle-2011-additional-colour-range-prod25169/
I already have one (on the orange Genesis, oddly enough) - if I bought another then I'd need an orange bike to go with it.

Oh, wait .... ;D

(I'm actually considering having Pugsley and/or the 1x1 resprayed in the One True Colour)

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #3022 on: 09 February, 2013, 06:51:28 pm »
A nice Brooks leather mudflap for the Brommie.  Cheap on fleabay.
Advena ego sum in Terra

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #3023 on: 09 February, 2013, 10:29:53 pm »
Padlock, rear light and a spare innertube. Shockingly mundane but all useful  :).

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3024 on: 10 February, 2013, 02:22:56 pm »
Two sets of mudguards - one set to go on the yellow Genesis (to be fitted by the LBS, since they're fitting a new set of forks too) and another set to go on the 1x(11) (to be fitted by me before I go out tomorrow - the Surly is the 'backup' Easter Arrow machine, and I don't fancy 400km-worth of wet backside)

Since the Surly has disc brakes, hilarity/bodging may well ensue.