Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 877152 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #2775 on: 02 December, 2012, 06:19:15 pm »
The point is that it doesn't really matter how many pairs of thick gloves you have when pingfuckits need roadside attention.

« Reply #2776 on: 02 December, 2012, 06:27:42 pm »
The trouble with the heat pads for that is that they can't reset on their own. A back-up disposable one would be useful. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2777 on: 02 December, 2012, 06:34:19 pm »
I've just ordered a pack of the disposable ones, thanks for the idea. I've got a pair of the ones you have to boil somewhere, but they are never recharged when you need them to be.

« Reply #2778 on: 02 December, 2012, 06:53:50 pm »
I was using a pair of disposable toe warmers on yesterday's ride.  I bought a few of them a year ago in a JJB Sports sale.  They certainly helped early in the morning I just wish that I had made the effort to apply the spare pair that I was carrying when I stopped in a cafe for a late lunch.  It would certainly have added to the weirdo in lycra image if I had started removing overshoes and shoes and started applying self-adhesive tea bags to my socks.

I have also got a very old clickable crystallizing type of hand warmer.  It clearly states 'Not for use by diabetics or by a paralysed person' on the outside of it  ???

« Reply #2779 on: 02 December, 2012, 06:55:38 pm »

I have also got a very old clickable crystallizing type of hand warmer.  It clearly states 'Not for use by diabetics or by a paralysed person' on the outside of it  ???

In case the user doean't have the sensitivity to fell that it is burning them.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2780 on: 02 December, 2012, 07:00:42 pm »

That stuff annoys me! It's a bit like the gym that told a diabetic that he couldn't use the rowing machine. WTF????
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #2781 on: 02 December, 2012, 07:07:09 pm »
It's the blanket application of rules that are probably based on a sensible situation then extrapolated to all such similar related cases, where they may be far less appropriate.

Similarly you find cough cures with any sugar in them being considered unsuitable for diabetics, ignoring the fact that the viral condition itself has probably already fubared up good diabetic control anyway.  I'm not suggesting that you should ignore sugar in a cough cure, but it's just something else that should be taken into consideration, and the amount of sugar ingested is probably relatively small.

It's not sugar that's a problem for an insulin controlled diabetic, it's that the amount of sugar which is ingested should be controlled, and appropriate for the amount and types of insulin being used.  I eat sugar (and other carbohydrates) every day, and don't explode because of this. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

fuzzy

« Reply #2782 on: 03 December, 2012, 12:22:26 pm »
Not today but, on Saturday I bought a new wheel magnet for my new bike. Cost? £2.99.

With my wheel magnet I got a free pint of Rebellion Brewery IPA, a mince pie, a several of Chocolates and sundry savoury nibbles and 2 PowerBar energy bars.

LBS new premises opening day
Saddle Safari in Marlow has a wonderful new shop :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2783 on: 04 December, 2012, 12:56:45 pm »
from on-one: their cnc brake calipers and merino arm warmers (both on sale now)

« Reply #2784 on: 04 December, 2012, 01:00:59 pm »
I finally got around to ordering some Loctite. Now I can fit the Brompton Eezy Wheelz (sp) that have been languishing in the parts to do area, okay the floor in the corner  ::-), for a couple or three years.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2785 on: 04 December, 2012, 02:25:30 pm »
Just ordered some new tyres for the tourer (sticking with the Continental Touring Plus Reflex).  The current rear tyre is a bit worn (has an amber central section going nearly all the way around ::-))  Also bout some new tights - dhb Vaeon Zero Padded Bib.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2786 on: 04 December, 2012, 02:46:28 pm »
Just bought a Bagman for the green Genesis - whilst the SQR Tour bag that I already have is handy-dandy in terms of capacity, there's not enough clearance between the bottom of the bag and the rear tyre for my liking, especially as the SQR bracket is as far up as it'll go; I'd probably get away with it on a road bike, but on a mountain bike it's not so good as there's every chance that it'd get clogged with mud.

Plus, I'll be able to use my Camper Longflap saddlebag when I go trail riding - that ought to raise a few eyebrows  :demon:

« Reply #2787 on: 04 December, 2012, 06:28:35 pm »
Took delivery of a Planet X cheapo front light, 4(!) rears and some gloves. I now have 8 rear lights, 6 front lights and I don't even want to count the pairs of gloves. :-[

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2788 on: 04 December, 2012, 06:46:38 pm »
Took delivery of a Planet X cheapo front light, 4(!) rears and some gloves. I now have 8 rear lights, 6 front lights and I don't even want to count the pairs of gloves. :-[

Probably better not to.  Because you just know they won't add up to whole pairs.

« Reply #2789 on: 04 December, 2012, 06:57:54 pm »
Oh, I know they don't. The odd gloves pile is slowly accumulating alongside the odd socks pile. :facepalm:

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #2790 on: 04 December, 2012, 07:48:13 pm »
Delivery of a 19-tooth sprocket, new 1/8th" chain & Clement cycling cap from On-One.

The cost of the cap was mostly covered by the lack of p&p as it brought the total neatly over the £20 threshold, dear. And it is lovely, too.  ;D

fuzzy

« Reply #2791 on: 05 December, 2012, 03:44:15 pm »
A new tube and pack of Park tyre boots- too many visitations recently. probable cause, a cut in the tread of an otherwise perfect tyre, resulting in a 2mm or so hole on the inside of the tyre.

How long should I expect a boot to last before I get peeved again?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2792 on: 05 December, 2012, 04:45:42 pm »
I have kitted the family out with new cycling glasses today, as my beloved PowerRace Tomcats are looking worse for wear (but then again I do badly abuse them and wear them for every ride).  As On-One are selling off their stock at the moment I managed to buy 4 pairs of on the bike glasses for less than I'd pay for a pair of off the bike ones (and no, you really don't want to know how much I pay for sunglasses that I wear when not cycling! :) )
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #2793 on: 06 December, 2012, 01:08:05 pm »
A Waltz-Milltag cycling cap.  Well, bought a few days ago, arrived today.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2794 on: 06 December, 2012, 01:26:57 pm »
Yehuda!
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #2795 on: 06 December, 2012, 01:30:44 pm »
Well, not quite, though the beard is coming along nicely. 

I have ordered a wool winter cap directly from Walz, but that one will arrive in the Xmas package from my parents.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2796 on: 06 December, 2012, 01:33:26 pm »
MT91 boots, as recommended by various of this parish.

I'm currently trying to work out whether they're comfortable or not.  They do seem likely to make a significant difference to the cold toes problem, and (at least without cleats) feel pretty good to walk in.  The leather isn't too leathery, which is also a bonus.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2797 on: 06 December, 2012, 01:35:27 pm »
I have ordered a wool winter cap directly from Walz, but that one will arrive in the Xmas package from my parents.

I've got one of those.  It works astoundingly well.  And you don't get sore ears[1] from the pressure like you do with a buff after a couple of hours.

[1] Your ears may vary in rigidity and sticky-outyness.

« Reply #2798 on: 06 December, 2012, 01:40:00 pm »
The pair of Marathon Winters arrived today, of cause it was yesterday when the ice threw the trains into confussion and I would have been faster to cycle.

« Reply #2799 on: 06 December, 2012, 01:41:10 pm »
And you don't get sore ears[1] from the pressure like you do with a buff after a couple of hours.

[1] Your ears may vary in rigidity and sticky-outyness.

I thought that was just me!

Slightly ear-related anecdote: My Bern helmet has a winter insert with cosy earflaps which also solves the buff problem. I caused Rob much hilarity by announcing that I’d found my flaps this morning, after they’d been put away for the summer months.