Linked Events

• Bryan Chapman 600km Audax: 16 May, 2009

Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 (16-MAY-2009)  (Read 136641 times)

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
Re: Bryan Champan Memorial 600 (16-MAY-2009)
« Reply #25 on: 13 January, 2009, 11:14:24 pm »
You mean, you've snogged Hummers before in 1996? :o

I thought I was The One

I may be riding. If my PBP tandem pilot is riding, then I am too.

Hmmm, I thought you two had history.  Kissed and made up?

Martin

« Reply #26 on: 13 January, 2009, 11:17:04 pm »
No.

You know what happened last time you did that.

Oh yes.

Hardly the gift of 'healing hands' have I.

your healing hands healed my handlebar hernia  :-*

(actually ridng PBP thinking I was probably going to drop dead on the ride anyway was a good way of taking my mind off things; and as others pointed out by the time I reached 1000km an infarcted hernia was the least of my worries)

(it turned out not be a hernia just a fuck off big bruise from falling over my loose gatepost onto a handlebar stem on an important place a week before the ride but it made a good story at the time)

Chris N

« Reply #27 on: 14 January, 2009, 08:59:32 am »
Perhaps we can do it a bit quicker this year if I don't pfaff so much.  ;D

I'll try not to be quite so grumpy on the Sunday too.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #28 on: 14 January, 2009, 09:06:39 am »
Deal, and I'll try not to be too happy  ;D

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #29 on: 14 January, 2009, 12:56:19 pm »
I'm in  :thumbsup:

Rooms booked for Friday and Sunday night at Severn View. £38 - bargain!

Booked family room, so may be space for others if required and intend on driving down Friday late afternoon and returning Monday early morning, so could be up for car sharing if anyone fanciea lift from Surrey way (I'm in Leatherhead)?

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #30 on: 14 January, 2009, 01:04:53 pm »
yeah as seen I 'm  planning to as well ,

Well so long as don't have to snog Hummers on any other bloke come to think of it.

« Reply #31 on: 14 January, 2009, 01:20:55 pm »
Just tried to book accommodation at the Chepstow hotel, Newport road, but fully booked already!  Even for the Brevet Cymru they are full!  What else is happening in Chepstow on those dates I wonder? ???

amaferanga

« Reply #32 on: 14 January, 2009, 02:45:26 pm »
I've just entered the scenic ::-) - how different is it from the non-scenic?  Actually, what is the route?  Anyone have a memory map route of the route?

« Reply #33 on: 14 January, 2009, 02:48:23 pm »
Broadly speaking it's the same, but for an early trip around the Elan valley, a loony bit on the return leg from the YHA and some ace hilly bits in/near Herefordshire. 

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #34 on: 14 January, 2009, 04:05:33 pm »
I'll be there with the usual Faccomb5 suspects ...although the thought of it scares the pants of me at the moment as I sit here aching after Sunday's Poor Student!!
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #35 on: 14 January, 2009, 04:58:54 pm »
Any tips for accomodation, to save me half an hour with Google? I gather there's a midway stop...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: 14 January, 2009, 05:02:54 pm »
...wherein all your accomodation needs (i.e. two hours' sleep in a dorm full of smelly, snoring and sweaty randonneurs) will be met.

Kings YHA.  Ver' nice, but don't drink the water  :thumbsup:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #37 on: 14 January, 2009, 05:06:07 pm »
Any tips for accomodation, to save me half an hour with Google? I gather there's a midway stop...

Bicycle Path - Audax Bryan Chapman 2004 route at Bikely.com

Kings Youth Hostel in Dolgellau. You go past it at ~215km and 400km.

If you're within time you can have a kip in one of the beds (assuming there's one free). I think that the organiser books a dorm room or similar (anyone care to explain how it works?) so I'm pretty sure you don't have to book one yourself.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #38 on: 14 January, 2009, 05:07:52 pm »
He has a big piece of paper (planner style) on which beds are marked taken with wake-up times.  It's first come first served when you arrive at the control on the return leg.  Worked pretty well in 2008, dunno about 2007 didn't get that far.

red marley

« Reply #39 on: 14 January, 2009, 07:22:34 pm »
In 2007, there were plenty of people doing it so there was quite a demand for facilities. When I arrived at Dolgellau, the person in front of me got the last bed space and the last veggie hot meal. I tried to sleep in a crowded and noisy lounge, but had no luck, so took a series of power naps on the second day instead. I was perhaps just unlucky, as sleeping spaces became available later that night (just as I was leaving).

For start and end accommodation, the Travelodge at Severn View (Aust) Services is often used.

« Reply #40 on: 14 January, 2009, 07:30:06 pm »
I think the whole of the Youth Hostel is booked.  As far as I know, there were no overcrowding problems in 2008.  You'll be very well looked after.  No thinking required other than than for calculating a wake-up time.  You'll be offered food and drink, shown the way to a dorm, woken, offered food and drink and encouraged on your way.  Last year there was even a repair service offered by Two Wheel Tuggo.

The last time I stayed in a Youth Hostel before the BCM I had to do a 'chore' before I could leave.  On the BCM there's no chore, but you have to promise to cycle to Chepstow.

And no bed-hopping, else you may not get woken up.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 14 January, 2009, 07:46:02 pm »
I think the whole of the Youth Hostel is booked.  As far as I know, there were no overcrowding problems in 2008.  You'll be very well looked after.  No thinking required other than than for calculating a wake-up time.  You'll be offered food and drink, shown the way to a dorm, woken, offered food and drink and encouraged on your way.
Yup, no YHA staff involved. It was a unique atmosphere being in a completely AUK run building - jolly good fun.
But be warned that for some of us a hilly 400km is a bit too far without sleep. That's why so many of the "classic" bus stop tales are from the leg back to Dolgellau on this ride. Not a problem, but bear it in mind.

The overcrowding was undoubtedly a PBP-year thing. The next control down the road wasn't too bad for sleep, if one was desperate.

(I had a minor addlestrop at Kings last year - having changed ready for beddy-byes, I was told to go to the Annexe! They found me a bed in the main dorm before I actually started crying :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

« Reply #42 on: 15 January, 2009, 09:01:55 am »

But be warned that for some of us a hilly 400km is a bit too far without sleep. That's why so many of the "classic" bus stop tales are from the leg back to Dolgellau on this ride. Not a problem, but bear it in mind.

It's a long and quite slow leg back from Menai as well.   Getting on for 90 k with some hills.  I've always got dozy on the bit from Penrhyndeudraeth to Dolgellau

And I'd agree that YH overcrowding was unique to PBP year.  It's not normally a problem, and even that year as jwo said it was a matter of timing.  I was in a bit after him, I think, and got a bed.

I've also never had a problem with the water there.  But then I didn't ride last year. 

LEE

« Reply #43 on: 15 January, 2009, 09:12:20 am »
Can you give me an idea of the logistics and facilities?

Is there a bag-drop at the YHA?
Does everyone use it?
Does entry fee include YHA bed (if required)
Showers? (so a towel would be needed in a bag-drop?)
Is YHA used twice (or did I imagine that?)

What would a typical Bryan Champman ride look like for someone who pushed the time limit very close on an easier 600? (Midhurst 600, 2008).

I can't see where I'm going to get time to have a doze, unless EPO is supplied as part of my entry fee.

Chris N

« Reply #44 on: 15 January, 2009, 09:20:27 am »
Yes
No
Yes
Yes (yes)
Yes

Hilly Scenic Beautiful ;D

border-rider

« Reply #45 on: 15 January, 2009, 09:24:34 am »
I'm not sure that the Midhurst 600 is easier or faster.

« Reply #46 on: 15 January, 2009, 09:35:45 am »
The important thing to factor in is although there's a considerable amount of climbing, most of the ride is on fast roads. You'll be suprised at how fast you can get to Dolgellau on the way out (and I'm suprised at how slowly I get from Menai back to Dolgellau ::-)).

Jes

« Reply #47 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:03:48 am »
I've just entered the scenic ::-) - how different is it from the non-scenic?  Actually, what is the route?  Anyone have a memory map route of the route?

I'm not a strong climber by any means but did the scenic last year and will be doing it again this year. The Elan valley is just too awesomely beautiful to miss! that is not to say that there will not be a fair amount of muttering and spitting of dummies along the way!

« Reply #48 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:22:56 am »
I'm also not the world's greatest climber.  I rode tandem last year, and even though tandem climbing can be slow, the type of hills on this ride are rolling rather than grinding. 

One of the biggest factors is likely to be the weather.  On a nice day, the Elan Valley, Cambrian coast and Snowdonia is amazing and not *that* hard to ride.  If it's pissing it down, with a strong wind in any direction, all of these places can be a nightmare.

« Reply #49 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:26:50 am »
The weather varies by height. It was bright sunshine climbing up through the Elan Valley on the Elenith, but at the top (before the descent down to Rhayader) there was a bit of hail. Clear blue skies and hail.

It'd certainly be interesting in fowl weather. :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."