Linked Events

• Bryan Chapman 600km Audax: 16 May, 2009

Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 (16-MAY-2009)  (Read 137179 times)

Martin

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 (16-MAY-2009)
« Reply #700 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:04:35 am »
Manotea finished in time to sign and hand his brevet to Mark :thumbsup:

well done Paul  :)

That decides it; never doing this ride again; it was hard enough when we sat in the sun outside Weobly in 2007 (which goes down as the World's most veggy- unfriendly convenience store; I think I had to make do with Tuc cheese sandwich crackers and Monster Munch)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #701 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:05:37 am »
I think it was Mel who I passed just after you told me to "fark off" when I passed you in the car  ;D just after the roundabout onto the A458.
Wind & Wet & Molehills -> SoH FAIL ;) lurve you lots really...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #702 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:14:58 am »

Chapeau to all of you this weekend.  It's been really very rewarding being able to pitch in and be part of the team that kept the tea flowing.

And the same to the helpers - especially at Kings.  When I rocked up on Saturday night, have people who spoke fluent Knackered and being frog marched to a warm bed was probably the thing that stopped me packing at that point.

Cheers guys.

L

LEE

« Reply #703 on: 18 May, 2009, 12:36:52 pm »
Congrats to the rest of "The Faccombe 4" (Chillmoister, UrbanBiker, Keeks and Els) for completing a real tough couple of days and doing what I couldn't.

Congrats to all the other finishers and commiserations to those, like me, that packed.

Special thanks to all the folks providing the support at all the controls.

I packed at around 420km a couple of hours after leaving the YHA and on (what should have been) the nice homeward leg.  But things sometimes don't go to plan and Cadair Idris certainly changed my plans.

Someone picked up my waterproof gloves in the YHA by mistake (or I put them down and couldn't remember where.  Thought-processes get muddled for sure).  They were handed in at some point (because Blacksheep had them in his car back at Chepstow) but the damage was done.  By the time I had climbed up past Cadair Idris in heavy sleet (after we'd unsuccessfully sheltered for a while, freezing in a hawthorn bush) and then decended down the other side, under full braking, I'd lost most of the feeling in my hands (apart from the bit that can feel pain of course) and I don't do cold hands or cold feet very well.

That descent also ranks as one of the scariest 5 minutes of my life.  My bike decided to go into a 'shimmy'  whenever I touched my brakes.  Once it started it progressively got worse and worse.  Anyway, the combination of my brakes not working very well in the deluge, the shimmy, the gradient etc.  left me feeling very scared and relieved once I managed to get the bike to stop on a flat section.  I was going much faster than the recommended healthy speed for falling off a bike (anyone else had 'shimmy' problems using a rack and rack pack?  I never had it before and I'm usually pretty quick on descents).

For the next few Kms I made sure I kept my speed low going down the hills.

Finally, at the very bottom of the descent, I spied a Hotel with lights on.  I asked myself quickly whether I wanted another 200km of over-cautious and slow descending with wet & cold hands.  The answer was 'No'. 

A day later I'm asking myself whether things were so bad.  I'd love to have the "war stories" of completing this BCM, love to have "toughed it out" to the end (ironically I felt strong on the bike all day) rather than quitting but things seemed pretty bad and I remember thinking is was a good decision at the time so no regrets.

Memories?

- Climbing to Pen-Y-Pass Youth Hostel with Keeks & Pompey Phil and looking up the red LEDs climbing into the darkness hundreds of metres above us (thinking "I hope we don't have to go up that road")

- Climbing to Pen-Y-Pass Youth Hostel with Keeks & Pompey Phil and looking back at the white LEDs climbing out of the valley, hundreds of metres below us (Thinking "Menai is all downhill now")

- The controls (AUK and private Cafes)  which were all superb, my food arrived consistently quicker than I think I've ever experienced (I'd barely sat down in "The Honey Cafe" before my food and drink arrived).  My 3 simultaneous breakfasts in the YHA winning the day though.

- Mordor Snowdon looming in the distance, disappearing into ominous rain clouds that we were shortly going to ride into.

- The 1km ride to the YHA along that beautiful river.  I didn't need to get off and walk but the view makes it a perfectly acceptable reason to do so.

- After not using my granny-gears on the long-long climbs, finally using them on the flat (and some downhills) as we headed west towards Aberystwyth into a ferocious, funnelled, wind.

- Waiting for a taxi to collect me from the Hotel and watching a fello Audaxer walking down the driveway and trying to speak to me (unsuccessfully).  I still don't know who he, he was shaking so violently that he just couldn't speak.  He was soaked thru, freezing cold and in desperate need of not Audaxing any further.  Once in the hotel he asked, through his shaking,  if he could share the taxi but, after some persuasion, he agreed that it was better if he paid for a room immediately and climbed into a hot bath as soon as possible.  I hope he was OK, he was as cold as I've ever seen anyone (and we were only an hour out of the YHA).  That's Cadair Idris in Mid-May for you I suppose.

- Too many awesome views to mention (and I'm using the term "awesome" appropriately here).

- Climbing out of Chepstow, up to Bulwark, after sitting on a train for the best part of 4 hours (made Pen-Y-Pass seem easy).

Anyway, I failed.  BCM600 beat me. 

Much respect to those that stuck with it.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #704 on: 18 May, 2009, 12:45:36 pm »
Manotea finished in time to sign and hand his brevet to Mark :thumbsup:

That decides it; never doing this ride again; it was hard enough when we sat in the sun outside Weobly in 2007

As did Pippa, and it was certainly nice and sunny when we left Woebley! Regards and thanks to all. Ride report later.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #705 on: 18 May, 2009, 12:45:53 pm »
Don't be hard on yourself Lee, you are all bl**dy  heroes as far as us mere mortals are concerned.

What was that hotel? Dolbrodmaeth or Brigands Inn maybe? Both bring back happy memories of riding those roads around Cader.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #706 on: 18 May, 2009, 12:54:21 pm »
That descent also ranks as one of the scariest 5 minutes of my life.  My bike decided to go into a 'shimmy'  whenever I touched my brakes.  Once it started it progressively got worse and worse.  Anyway, the combination of my brakes not working very well in the deluge, the shimmy, the gradient etc.  left me feeling very scared and relieved once I managed to get the bike to stop on a flat section.  I was going much faster than the recommended healthy speed for falling off a bike (anyone else had 'shimmy' problems using a rack and rack pack?  I never had it before and I'm usually pretty quick on descents).

For the next few Kms I made sure I kept my speed low going down the hills.
(I'm guessing this was actually the Cross Foxes climb?)
I think you've discovered the Death Grip Shimmy. Not really a bike problem (although it may not happen on most bikes). I got this on day 3 of the French ride. I wasn't cold/wet, but I was tired, and there hadn't been any 'tricky' descending for 800km. I found that relaxing my grip banished the shimmy.

I've had the cold/immovable hands thing (on a different ride to Wales!), and I can imagine there would be No Way I could 'Relax my Grip' !  My sympathies ...

A day later I'm asking myself whether things were so bad.  I'd love to have the "war stories" of completing this BCM, love to have "toughed it out" to the end (ironically I felt strong on the bike all day) rather than quitting but things seemed pretty bad and I remember thinking is was a good decision at the time so no regrets.
F*ck that! There's more bravery in quitting at the right time. Falling off 70k later would NOT have been more heroic. Just more stupid.

- Climbing out of Chepstow, up to Bulwark, after sitting on a train for the best part of 4 hours (made Pen-Y-Pass seem easy).
People underestimate that climb because it's urban - it's a good thing it's not actually on the BCM route.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #707 on: 18 May, 2009, 12:57:04 pm »
I was really sorry to hear you'd packed because when I saw you at Kings, you were looking good, Lee.  The BCM is a very hardcore ride and getting as far as you did in that awful weather shows just how strong you are.

Although you're always going to get wet on a Welsh 600, maybe 2010 will bring us better conditions...  :demon:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #708 on: 18 May, 2009, 01:19:14 pm »
To anyone that did NOT finish the ride for whatever reason, you all have my sympathies

Just starting the ride in those conditions merit a medal.

I almost entered the ride and was happy that I made the right decision in the end by not entering.

Anyone else for Sheila Simpsons Cambrian 600 in 3-weeks time?

« Reply #709 on: 18 May, 2009, 01:33:11 pm »
A superbly run and supported event. Efficiently run controls. I really enjoyed (bits of) it. Was Charlotte at every control or does she have a twin sister?

The ride up Elan was amazing, the decent with the rain was as warning of the things to come, and the end of my front brake. Pen-y-pass was the same, superb up, grit grit teeth down. Why did it rain on both decents.

The ride up to Harlech and beyond was awsome with the waves, desolute looking beaches and the jet black clouds by no rain.

I even enjoyed the climbs on the small lanes, and would possible found the decents fun if I it wasn't for the metal on metal front brake sound. They were too steep for the chain though, that snapped. Great what you can get up with a 30x21.

The ride from Menai in the evening and the info control above knighton where the most horriffic moments(hours), one due to rain basted in face and darkness, the other due to being jet washed with freezing water. The tourist office served great coffee to ward off hypathermia once my hand stopped shaking enough to hold it.

At least I think I was back at by about half past 4, I was more focussed on Km than time, missing the afternoon showers. I was thinking of all the riders still out there as the rain hammered on the station roof.

The weather: showers, some(most) heavy, with sunny intervals(about 3) and a southerly breeze.

A big thank you to Mark and all the helpers.

« Reply #710 on: 18 May, 2009, 01:36:58 pm »

Anyone else for Sheila Simpsons Cambrian 600 in 3-weeks time?
ME!!

Normally I just lurk on this forum.

The BCM 600 has a reputation as an epic - reading this thread I can see why!

It has only given me even more motivation to do it next year - clearly one of cyclings major challenges.

Well done to all those who endured the extreme conditions - and finished or were finished or both!

A truly magnificent effort!

Spinners

« Reply #711 on: 18 May, 2009, 01:53:40 pm »
Well done to everyone who started and had a go at this classic, challenging ride - you're all heroes and had a much tougher time than the class of 2007.

« Reply #712 on: 18 May, 2009, 01:54:26 pm »

« Reply #713 on: 18 May, 2009, 02:14:05 pm »
Been back at home for a while now, had a quick scan of the threads but still busy stuffing my face before going for a bath  :) My 705 claims I used 48,000 calories, so I'd better replace them quick.

952km for the weekend (left home on Friday night, rode to the start, did the ride, rode home), 15.5k/h average - and I got about 12 hours sleep (actual in-bed time) over the three nights. That'll do for me!

I'll put together a proper report later, but that wasn't your common-or-garden weekend pootle.

Thanks to everybody I rode with for putting up with, and a lot of thanks to the organisers and helpers. It is a major event to put on, and things generally just worked. Kings especially was a well oiled machine (unlike my bike after hours in the rain and problems with my SON hub, lighting issues and squeaking rack).

And commiserations to those that packed. It was really tough out there and not exactly fun at times.

Edit: just noticed that I managed to catch the sun - so it must have been out at some point (or is just the top layer of my skin abraded away?)

Spikey

« Reply #714 on: 18 May, 2009, 02:19:38 pm »
Well I finsihed it, just before 9pm, nearly 2hours slower than last year. Very chuffed to complet a propper BCM with propper Welsh weather, and to complete my first SR. I not  sure if I've ever seen it rain/hail so hard on a bike. Definitely the hardest Audax with worst weather I've done.

I also enjoyed (bits of) it (mostly those not actually riding). I definitely didn't enjoy the puncture at 1:50 am, just before Dolgellau, when I was looking forward to a bed for few hours.

Did anyone else see the lone sheep on the lane down from the youth hostel in the morning. It was watching me with a look of utter bewilderment, as though it was trying to understand why anyone would be crazy enough to ride a bike twice the length of Wales on a wet and windy weekend.

simonp

« Reply #715 on: 18 May, 2009, 02:23:27 pm »
Been back at home for a while now, had a quick scan of the threads but still busy stuffing my face before going for a bath  :) My 705 claims I used 48,000 calories, so I'd better replace them quick.

You are Peter Turnbull AICMFP.  ;D

(48,000 calories corresponds to about 2000km of cycling).

« Reply #716 on: 18 May, 2009, 02:30:45 pm »

« Reply #717 on: 18 May, 2009, 02:31:56 pm »
Lee,
I had the Death Shimmy last year going down some big hill.  Scared the shite out of me.  Thought it must have been my dynamo hub as that was all that was different about the bike, aside from the rack and rack bag  ;D  Mine started in the front wheel and I think either Chris N or Paul D told me afterwards to clamp my knees onto the top tube.  It has never happened again and now that frame has gone to God, so we will never know.  ::-)

Martin

« Reply #718 on: 18 May, 2009, 02:33:05 pm »
Not sure who Paul Stewart is
Manotea
Bloody well done Paul.

bet you fell on top of the world today Paul; BCM has conquered two of your biggest demons; the other being another successful 600

You have chosen the Path of Righteousness Grasshopper;

Dalkieth beckons  O:-)

richie

• Just sleeping...
« Reply #719 on: 18 May, 2009, 02:35:04 pm »
Did anyone else see the lone sheep on the lane down

I didn't see a lone sheep, but i did see a 'Go Bryan Chapman Riders' sign by the side of the road on the ascent opposite the The Centre For Alternative Technology which raised the spirits.

Coming out of Knighton a car coming the opposite way deliberately swerved across to me in order to hit a big puddle and splash me with water.  It actually made me laugh though as I was so wet anyway it didn't make a jot of difference!

Highlight:- doing BCM and not The Etape Caledonia
Sheep we're off again.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #720 on: 18 May, 2009, 02:47:44 pm »
Not sure who Paul Stewart is
Manotea
Bloody well done Paul.

bet you fell on top of the world today Paul; BCM has conquered two of your biggest demons; the other being another successful 600

You have chosen the Path of Righteousness Grasshopper;

Dalkieth beckons  O:-)

Paul, I must have missed you whilst trying to get my contact lenses out but bloody well done matey.  :thumbsup:

H

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #721 on: 18 May, 2009, 02:50:32 pm »
Did anyone else see the lone sheep on the lane down from the youth hostel in the morning. It was watching me with a look of utter bewilderment, as though it was trying to understand why anyone would be crazy enough to ride a bike twice the length of Wales on a wet and windy weekend.

Could it be the same young and good looking sheep that I engaged in conversation just after dawn when it wandered up to the door of the dining room?

I'd recently been informed by Ian H that it was time to go and wake the sleeping Hummers and I was giving serious consideration to grabbing said ungulate and taking it, along with my camera to Dorm Six in order to capture what could be the definitive "caption it" moment.

My plans were thwarted when it realised that I was not a native speaker of its language and it beat a hasty one back to the cover of the woods, not knowing what an unpleasant fate it had just escaped.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #722 on: 18 May, 2009, 02:56:39 pm »

Wot news of your comrades - GB, Paul Stewart ....? Anyone arrive after you? still missing?
Greenbank made it back with 15 minutes spare. I enjoyed a hearty breakfast with him, Fidgetbuzz and the Tunebulls jr and snr. Don't know about Manotea.

Now off to work to pretend to function normally.

That's good to hear, he was seriously thinking about packing at Kings and took a while to get going again  ;D

If you're thinking of packing then I can thoroughly recommend removing your waterproof jacket and tipping half a bottle of cold water over yourself.

That (and the food, plenty of helpful and encouraging comments and a bit of rest in the dry) sorted me out completely.

Luckily this was at the control with the bag drop so I had a change of base layer and jersey. Top Tip: When tired always check that you've actually screwed the top of the bottle on after filling it up.

More later, busy staring at my laptop screensaver and trying not to eat the contents of the work cafeteria.

Huge thank you to everyone involved.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Andy vidler

« Reply #723 on: 18 May, 2009, 03:08:39 pm »

952km for the weekend (left home on Friday night, rode to the start, did the ride, rode home), 15.5k/h average - and I got about 12 hours sleep (actual in-bed time) over the three nights. That'll do for me!

I'll put together a proper report later, but that wasn't your common-or-garden weekend pootle.

Thanks to everybody I rode with for putting up with, and a lot of thanks to the organisers and helpers. It is a major event to put on, and things generally just worked. Kings especially was a well oiled machine (unlike my bike after hours in the rain and problems with my SON hub, lighting issues and squeaking rack).

And commiserations to those that packed. It was really tough out there and not exactly fun at times.

Edit: just noticed that I managed to catch the sun - so it must have been out at some point (or is just the top layer of my skin abraded away?)
Hi matt thanks for your company along the way. Found a B+B in Bangor and caught the train back on Sunday. Felt great on Sunday Morning after a kipp and some eggs and bacon, but lack of experiance killed me by not having enough layers and staying warm, still if i can do 300K in S**T conditions like that them some good came from it. CU Next year as i determined to complete that monster
Andy Vidler

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #724 on: 18 May, 2009, 03:10:25 pm »
More later but I'm just back from the pub after having a good meal and lots of beer - this was something I'd promised myself as I was slogging through the rain.

In a reflective moment after the third pint I thought 'that was a good achievement and it wasn't that bad'. Then again later I'll probably think about the numerous scary and depressing times as well.

Congrats to everyone who took part irrespective of whether you finished or didn't. Big thanks to Mark and everyone who helped.