Author Topic: Mudguard Extensions - Examples please  (Read 48884 times)

Re: Mudguard Extensions - Examples please
« Reply #25 on: 24 January, 2009, 06:36:46 pm »
TRUE  ;D

Sellotape on my ass is an equivalent to my raceblades protection  :P
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #26 on: 24 January, 2009, 08:25:03 pm »
My preferance is old black plastic plant pots. They have the required curve and can easily be cut to the required shape.

« Reply #27 on: 24 January, 2009, 10:08:31 pm »
I tried making one out of a strip from a 4 pint plastic milk bottle.  I think I made a mistake in using the curved side - I had to remove it before I'd even got to the end of the road because it was oscillating from side to side and causing the mudguard to hit the wheel. Maybe I should have another go.

LEE

« Reply #28 on: 24 January, 2009, 10:51:02 pm »
I tried making one out of a strip from a 4 pint plastic milk bottle.  I think I made a mistake in using the curved side - I had to remove it before I'd even got to the end of the road because it was oscillating from side to side and causing the mudguard to hit the wheel. Maybe I should have another go.

I used the flat side of the bottle.  Pulling the cable-tie tight forced it to adopt the same radius as the mudguard.

I suspect that, at speed, the flap bend backward slightly with wind pressure.

The black pond liner examples above look nicer/professional.  I may look out for a black plastic bottle.  Mine looks exactly like a chopped-up milk bottle.

LEE

« Reply #29 on: 24 January, 2009, 10:54:23 pm »
Both made from pond liner, the cheaper rigid stuff not the rubber one. They are attached to topeak defender guards , like sks raceblades which I've also got them attached to.

They are fairly flexible and don't snag or make the guards wobble like hard plastic does and they keep crap off my feet/ drivetrain and butt :thumbsup:

I can't help noticing that even the gaps between your sprockets are shiny.  Your mudguards are either superb or (unlike me) you clean your bike more than twice a year.

« Reply #30 on: 25 January, 2009, 03:39:24 pm »
It had been cleaned Lee with Meguiars car wash/wax  ;D and the drive train had been scrubbed. I wash my winter ride every Sunday O:-) I use a 2ft strip of rag, stand on one end then hold it between the sprockets and whizz the pedal backwards, cheaper than a park tools brush!!

10 minutes and like new  :thumbsup:

The pond liner costs very little and you'll get loads of mud flaps out of a section.

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #31 on: 25 January, 2009, 03:51:28 pm »

« Reply #32 on: 26 January, 2009, 02:27:43 am »
I struggled with the damp proof membrane :(

It flapped in the wind too much.  The front was worse as the pedals tapped it at any speed over 12mph, which on a 300k Audax is a bit of an irritant >:(

« Reply #33 on: 26 January, 2009, 08:24:26 am »
I cant say for sure if there's different types or thickness of that stuff but mine are fairly rigid. The next time I go for any building supplies I'll take a look ;)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #34 on: 26 January, 2009, 05:37:21 pm »
I struggled with the damp proof membrane :(

Don't confuse damp proof membrane which is the stuff that you put under the joists and is just a membrane

and damp proof course which is the thicker stuff that you put between 2 brick courses or underneath the soleplate.

The latter is rigid!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #35 on: 21 February, 2011, 10:49:35 am »
Would the Faccombe 5 (and any others) care to update?   I've noticed some of you now have very narrow strips of something extending your rear guards.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #36 on: 21 February, 2011, 11:47:30 am »
Yep - Chillmoister managed to source  (roadside scavenging I think) some nice yellow plastic bucket strips which seem about the perfect blend of stiffness and flexibility to do the job.

He has his gaffer-taped on but I have plans for a long term solution with it pop-rivetted on the back.

I'm not sure about the yellow colour scheme but it seemed a bit much to ask him to source something to match my various bikes.   ;D
Owner of a languishing Langster

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #37 on: 22 February, 2011, 11:26:01 pm »
my mudflap is precisely as UB has described ....I found one of those rubbbery, soft sided builders 'tub' buckets by the side of a cycle path. It's made from the ideal material.
appearing in a tea room near you

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #38 on: 23 February, 2011, 01:55:34 pm »
I understand that Chillmoister is going to measure me up and secure  with gaffer tape for the Kennet Avon run.  :-X

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #39 on: 23 February, 2011, 02:16:32 pm »
I understand that Chillmoister is going to measure me up and secure  with gaffer tape for the Kennet Avon run.  :-X

Yes yes. But what is happening with respect to the mudguards?

H

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #40 on: 23 February, 2011, 02:23:55 pm »

I'm really not sure if you'll be any use as a mudflap.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #41 on: 27 February, 2011, 12:35:37 pm »
Apparently SKS now do the 'Longboard' fender which offers extended coverage

« Reply #42 on: 27 February, 2011, 07:44:54 pm »

my Dolan's back one,

and you can just about see the the front one here

both made from a Holts screen wash can

« Reply #43 on: 27 February, 2011, 09:26:02 pm »
I have  to occasionally give  mine  a polish for a  photo  :)

Beryllium copper alloy, nice  and  springy

« Reply #44 on: 27 February, 2011, 09:41:27 pm »
and  here the  picture  :-\  (I hope)

« Reply #45 on: 27 February, 2011, 09:57:13 pm »
Mmm, *thinks*, MSeries might need some springy metal, don't suppose you can throw some in the road for me to *find* sometime ?

« Reply #46 on: 28 February, 2011, 06:30:40 pm »

my Dolan's back one,

and you can just about see the the front one here

both made from a Holts screen wash can

Is that Marston Moor?  Or a memorial to airmen; I've seen it somewhere, I'm sure.

« Reply #47 on: 01 March, 2011, 10:12:06 pm »
M-Series springy metal -  how long? I have a bit spare

« Reply #48 on: 02 March, 2011, 07:10:52 pm »
Peter, yes Marston Moor. Sleepy, about 100mm x 50mm would be adequate but could probably use less once Idesign the damn thing.

« Reply #49 on: 10 October, 2011, 03:23:39 pm »
I am interested in adding extensions to my rear mudguards for the winter period. My main requirement is that they are black and not fugly, which seems to rule out the usual milk or fairly liquid bottle fettles (sorry, I know I am fussy but this is only where my bikes are concerned I promise!).

I am thinking of sourcing some black rubber for the purpose, and was wondering if anyone has any idea what the optimal thickness of rubber sheeting would be to make it rigid enough without being too heavy for the mudguard. Would 1.5mm thick be too thin? How thick was the Faccombe 5 yellow rubber bucket?

Thanks in advance.