Author Topic: Winter draws on!  (Read 23761 times)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Re: Winter draws on!
« Reply #25 on: 02 February, 2009, 06:40:39 am »
 :) Yay !  At last, Edinburgh has some snow this winter !  (Not much mind)
Aero but not dynamic

annie

« Reply #26 on: 02 February, 2009, 07:10:10 am »
It's white and fluffy and soft and cold and waiting for me.  :)

I still don't know which bike though, can't be the Sunday as it has a mudguard.  Fixie or MTB.  Hmmmm.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #27 on: 02 February, 2009, 07:15:30 am »
There is Proper Snow here, several inches deep.

I'm tempted to work from home today - the buses aren't running due to it being "too dangerous" which means I can only get in if I ride, and I'm not sure that's a great idea.  The thought of coming home in the dark tonight isn't appealing.  Or maybe I'm just being a big wuss.  :-\

« Reply #28 on: 02 February, 2009, 07:22:26 am »
working from home FTW ;D

lots more sno forecast for this afternoon, if you get to work you might never get out - imagine being stuck there...

« Reply #29 on: 02 February, 2009, 07:39:48 am »
Proper fluffy snow in Brighton. I would be working from home, but apparently I'm required to help build a snow gruffalo in the garden  :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #30 on: 02 February, 2009, 07:47:40 am »

lots more sno forecast for this afternoon, if you get to work you might never get out - imagine being stuck there...

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that.  :(

Heck.  It's only 5 miles.  I can walk home if I have to.  I can't pass up this opportunity for some commuty fun.   ;D :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #31 on: 02 February, 2009, 07:49:42 am »
That is what I reckon.  Fun fun fun.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #32 on: 02 February, 2009, 07:51:18 am »
15-20cm here in Biggin Hill!!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #33 on: 02 February, 2009, 07:51:44 am »
This what it looks like outside our back door:

Mr R has left to try and get to Cambridge.... he may be some time.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #34 on: 02 February, 2009, 07:55:57 am »
We've had about an inch here, and the temperature is -1ish. Maidstone daughter & son-in-law's schools are closed. T'other daughter has to get to Holborn. Lpoo St & Central Lines are open.

It's amazing how the national rail website has ground to a halt because of the adverse weather conditions. There must be some virtual snow as well.

I don't suppose I'll have cause to get a bike out today. I'm hoping my school will be closed. It's a right pain to get out there in rotten conditions just for an hour and a half. It's also an after-school session so I'm sure, even if they open, they'll want the kids out a.s.a.p.

Edit: Reg, you've had roughly 5 times as much snow as we have, judging by those pictures.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

« Reply #35 on: 02 February, 2009, 07:58:09 am »

Edit: Reg, you've had roughly 5 times as much snow as we have, judging by those pictures.

We've had a good 6".  And guess what... they've known it was going to snow and they haven't bothered to grit the roads!!!  ::-)

Green Party Councillor

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #36 on: 02 February, 2009, 08:00:13 am »
Well we might not have had as much snow in the North West but we are not going to miss out. A lorry has shed it's load of fridges on the M6 motorway.  ;D ;D ;D

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #37 on: 02 February, 2009, 08:01:41 am »
Just ridden in to work, dug the mtb out of the shed; no problems.
Almost all the rest of the staff are off, trains being cancelled and motorway junctions closed.
Joy.
Wimps.

annie

« Reply #38 on: 02 February, 2009, 08:02:45 am »
Well I am going to go out on foot or maybe on the MTB, will drop the pressure right down in the tyres and see what happens.

« Reply #39 on: 02 February, 2009, 08:03:43 am »
There's more than a foot of snow on our garden table. Wondering a) how to get to work this morning for some severe deadlines (why oh why didn't I bring my work laptop home... this is possibly the first ever time in my life I have had this thought) and b) how to get to New York this evening.

Lots of travel websites down so I can't get a clear picture of what's going on.

Hahahahahahahaha.

PS. There is no way I am cycling in with or without a suitcase. You're all nuts.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #40 on: 02 February, 2009, 08:04:39 am »
Well I am going to go out on foot or maybe on the MTB, will drop the pressure right down in the tyres and see what happens.

Don't break anything!

Regulator

« Reply #41 on: 02 February, 2009, 08:05:49 am »
There's more than a foot of snow on our garden table. Wondering a) how to get to work this morning for some severe deadlines (why oh why didn't I bring my work laptop home... this is possibly the first ever time in my life I have had this thought) and b) how to get to New York this evening.

Lots of travel websites down so I can't get a clear picture of what's going on.

Hahahahahahahaha.

PS. There is no way I am cycling in with or without a suitcase. You're all nuts.

The Gatwick Express has been cancelled.  So has the Heathrow Express.  The Piccadilly line isn'r running properly either.

HTH!

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #42 on: 02 February, 2009, 08:07:37 am »
Looking better and better for zero travel today!! Thanks Reg!

annie

« Reply #43 on: 02 February, 2009, 08:08:55 am »

Don't break anything!

Mr A said I shouldn't go on the bike as I will fall off and hurt myself.  Talk about being positive!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #44 on: 02 February, 2009, 08:09:43 am »
LMM - the Piccadilly line's okay to Heathrow - it's just suspended between Acton and Rayners Lane.  

The buses aren't running so I can't get to work via public transport.  Cycling is the only option - but there is a foot of snow outside and more predicted for the afternoon.  But if I work from home today, I absolutely have to get in tomorrow, and it may be worse then.  Hmmm.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #45 on: 02 February, 2009, 08:10:10 am »

Don't break anything!

Mr A said I shouldn't go on the bike as I will fall off and hurt myself.  Talk about being positive!

You might fall off, but snow's a very soft landing so you won't hurt yourself!  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #46 on: 02 February, 2009, 08:11:39 am »
I feel quite jealous. We've had little more than a dusting and everything seems to be working normally.*

* Except for the dog's bowels, which are making some very strange noises.

Regulator

« Reply #47 on: 02 February, 2009, 08:11:47 am »

Don't break anything!

I agree.  

<Gives the Fixie Pixie a hard stiff look>

Green Party Councillor

annie

« Reply #48 on: 02 February, 2009, 08:12:27 am »

Don't break anything!

You might fall off, but snow's a very soft landing so you won't hurt yourself!  ;D

So, one Pixie, one MTB, one black dog at the ready.  Better get some clothes on first though.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #49 on: 02 February, 2009, 08:13:54 am »
Take the camera!