Poll

How many of you use whey protein, if so, why do you use it and what do you feel it does for you?

I use whey protein
I do not use whey protein
Haven't got a clue what it is
Would rather drink wallpaper paste

Author Topic: Whey protein  (Read 6856 times)

Re: Whey protein
« Reply #25 on: 04 March, 2009, 08:24:17 pm »
SiS ReGo - protein/carb recovery drink (Soya based).  Is whey better, or is this just as good?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #26 on: 04 March, 2009, 08:52:39 pm »
Different.  Rego is a night-time recovery drink - IIRC, it's slow carbs and casein, whey's slow-release cousin. 

Tastes like ass, too.

If you're just topping up your protein intake (say, you're a veggie and hate tofu), it doesn't matter which.  If you're taking post-exercise protein to stave off the sniffles, whey is better but either will do; if you're taking protein before bed as a recovery drink, rego is better but either will do.

The people who would avoid one or other are the kind of folks who do very fine-grained metabolic tweaking (bodybuilders, for example). 

You could, for example, replace either with a can of tuna. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Raph

« Reply #27 on: 04 March, 2009, 08:57:35 pm »

Tastes like ass, too.

Is that good or bad? Depends who's ass I suppose...

« Reply #28 on: 04 March, 2009, 09:03:05 pm »
Different.  Rego is a night-time recovery drink - IIRC, it's slow carbs and casein, whey's slow-release cousin. 

ITYM Nocte - definitely tastes like a hat.

ReGo is a soy based protein+carbs recovery drink.  Post exercise, not night-time.

« Reply #29 on: 04 March, 2009, 09:06:35 pm »
And ReGo rapid is the whey based version...

« Reply #30 on: 04 March, 2009, 09:14:34 pm »
myprotein.co.uk for me using the Total Whey product.  I have chocolate mint and strawberry delight.  Both are ace.  No froth, no aftertaste and I can already see and feel the difference.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #31 on: 04 March, 2009, 09:30:39 pm »
ITYM Nocte

Whoops, yes. 

GruB, why does myprotein's strawberry taste so good?  It's ace!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #32 on: 04 March, 2009, 09:32:34 pm »
Strawberry flavoured anything is foul.  :-X

I'm tempted to try the vanilla one.

« Reply #33 on: 05 March, 2009, 06:21:44 am »
ITYM Nocte

Whoops, yes. 

GruB, why does myprotein's strawberry taste so good?  It's ace!

Andy,

Chocolate Mint.  Simply amazing.  I would be sceptical if I couldn't actually feel the results, that this stuff is just top notch flavouring  ;D  Taste makes a huge difference.  Some of the sports drink type products, apart from the horrific side effects they give me ( due to my diabetes ) - the taste is enough to put me off anyway.

The digestability of the myprotein products are also part of the appeal.  I don't feel heavy or bloated afterwards.  I get a little wind, but far less than if I had two eggs a day.

Big thumbs up from me so far.

« Reply #34 on: 05 March, 2009, 09:07:30 am »
why does myprotein's strawberry taste so good?  It's ace!

Because it's made from only the finest hand-picked organic strawberries, silly!

Tiger

« Reply #35 on: 05 March, 2009, 12:33:13 pm »
I used to use that rego stuff - and this thread reminds me how good it was at stopping the day after pains and stiffness. Really good also for avoiding the urge to eat 3 mars bars and a packet of hobnobs on the way back from a long ride.  However it does indeed taste of birdpoo.

Chris S

« Reply #36 on: 05 March, 2009, 12:50:35 pm »
However it does indeed taste of birdpoo.

You know this? How?

Actually - never mind - I don't really want to know...  :sick: ;)

« Reply #37 on: 05 March, 2009, 08:55:40 pm »
.  I get a little wind

Can you still do those 15 second farts that Jaded, Rollo and I have witnessed?

::-) Yes  ::-)  You will no doubt hear one on Saturday.  Or two  ::-)

« Reply #38 on: 05 March, 2009, 09:05:39 pm »
My colleague was mixing his whey protein powder with cottage cheese, and eating it in the office today. We were all highly dubious, as he said it tasted like strawberry mousse, but it did actually taste quite nice. Something you might want to try...

annie

« Reply #39 on: 05 March, 2009, 09:19:33 pm »
Well I had my first lot of whey protein last night, in a shake with a banana.  Today I felt great although it was a rest day.  No adverse effects although a little rumbley in the tumbley.  I am off to the gym in the morning so I guess it might be wise to have one after that.

Chris S

« Reply #40 on: 05 March, 2009, 09:42:07 pm »
I fart like Teethgrinder sometimes, after Whey protein. But it's kinda fun, unless:

1. I'm attending a solemn event,
2. A fart gets stuck in a bend in the plumbing, thereby causing pointy pointy pains
3. Things are not so solid in the intestinal department, and extreme caution is advised
4. I'm audaxing on fixed.

simonp

« Reply #41 on: 05 March, 2009, 09:46:55 pm »
I fart like Teethgrinder sometimes, after Whey protein. But it's kinda fun, unless:

3. Things are not so solid in the intestinal department, and extreme caution is advised
4. I'm audaxing on fixed.

That's what the holes in Brookes saddles are for isn't it? (3 and 4)