Author Topic: Safety razors  (Read 12381 times)

Re: Safety razors
« Reply #25 on: 19 February, 2009, 02:13:36 pm »
I used to use these, then had trouble getting blades  :-\

Wilkinsons seem to have them in stock - 60p for 5.

I had trouble with the "turning head" habit when I went back to using a straight razor.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #26 on: 19 February, 2009, 02:17:32 pm »
I use a vibrating Gillette Fusion - It is a lot better than my previous Mach 3 which was not better, but was nicer to my skin than the safety razor I had before that.

I have sensitive skin, and quite soft stubble - basically the perfect face for a multiblade razor. When I was using Mach3 I had to change the head every 3-4weeks.

I have to change the head on my Stealth every 9-12 weeks - that is good vfm IMO to get a high speed, very close, comfortable shave with a razor whose head is cleared by water easily, my 'emergency' tesco own brand 3blade that I keep at work cloggs and requires a nailbrush to clean out.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

iakobski

« Reply #27 on: 19 February, 2009, 02:18:05 pm »
I used a safety razor for many years with great success.

Then I started to notice that every second blade in a pack would blunt much quicker than normal. Tried the other leading brand, but all the blades in the pack lasted less than three weeks each. Switched back to find the "good" blades were now 1 in three. It was obviously a deliberate ploy to get us old-fashioned types to move to the twin-blade monstrosities.

They won.

« Reply #28 on: 19 February, 2009, 02:24:14 pm »
I used a safety razor till about five years ago when I got bored of changing blades so often.  I only shave 2 or 3 times a week and the blades only lasted a couple of shaves each.  THe sensor excel thing I've used since then lasts about 2 months between changes. 

« Reply #29 on: 19 February, 2009, 02:53:09 pm »
I go through mutli blade heads at a rate of 1 a week if I am shaving every day ! Must have an abrasive beard.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #30 on: 19 February, 2009, 02:55:08 pm »
I go through mutli blade heads at a rate of 1 a week if I am shaving every day ! Must have an abrasive beard.

There is defo something in that - I bought my Stealth at the same time as one of my housemates bought the same razor. He uses a head every 2 weeks, and I get 2+ months from mine.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 19 February, 2009, 05:09:48 pm »
I can get away with using a head about three or four times max.  With the Wilkinson Swords i was using previously, I was lucky to get two days!

I hate having to throw them away - it seems so pointlessly wasteful.

Getting there...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #32 on: 19 February, 2009, 05:50:19 pm »
I use a vibrating Gillette Fusion - It is a lot better than my previous Mach 3 which was not better.

See now I find the Mach 3 Turbo better.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #33 on: 19 February, 2009, 05:53:56 pm »

There is defo something in that - I bought my Stealth at the same time as one of my housemates bought the same razor. He uses a head every 2 weeks, and I get 2+ months from mine.

Yeah - but you only have bum fluff!

I have a very wiry beard.  I get through at least one cartridge a week if I shave every day.

I've gone back to using an old fashioned single blade razor more now.

I can't use electric shavers - I end up cutting my face to bits... plus my beard is so heavy that if I use a shaver about an hour later it looks as if I haven't shaved.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #34 on: 19 February, 2009, 05:55:58 pm »

I have a very wiry beard.  I get through at least one cartridge a week if I shave every day.
Have you thought about having hairy balls again?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #35 on: 19 February, 2009, 05:58:11 pm »
My contribution to this thread is succinct indeed:-

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

« Reply #36 on: 19 February, 2009, 05:58:29 pm »

Have you thought about having hairy balls again?

Wax darling!  No razor's getting round my remaining nut.

Which reminds me - I need to book another appointment....

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #37 on: 19 February, 2009, 06:03:35 pm »
Get cheap, original, cartridge packs from the local market. The only thing nicked is the blades!  ;)

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #38 on: 19 February, 2009, 06:20:40 pm »
I use three-blade razors from Tesco but, on the soap side, about a year ago moved to a hand-me-down shaving brush and shaving soap. Currently using a Palmolive shaving stick refill that cost all of about 30p from Superdrug and has lasted for about 4 months so far and still a couple of months left I reckon. Works well, small and light for travelling (shaving brush an optional extra), and a tiny fraction of the cost of Shaving Oil or Gel.

Regulator

« Reply #39 on: 19 February, 2009, 06:21:44 pm »
My contribution to this thread is succinct indeed:-

Regularly sheared shaved to supply Mrs W with something to spin, I presume....  ;D

Green Party Councillor

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #40 on: 19 February, 2009, 06:58:59 pm »
Why do they have stupid names like "Mach 3 Turbo"?  FFS, not all men are 14 years old and Top Trumps addicts.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Sir Tifiable

« Reply #41 on: 19 February, 2009, 07:00:49 pm »
Why do they have stupid names like "Mach 3 Turbo"?  FFS, not all men are 14 years old and Top Trumps addicts.

Just 99% of them  ;D

Jezza

« Reply #42 on: 19 February, 2009, 07:02:59 pm »
2 blade Gillette, cheap old stick of soap and a brush. Works pretty well.

I saw an advert yesterday for some 3-stage shaving 'system'. First prepare your skin with bottle a), then use the gel in tin b) in conjuction with your multibladed razor, and finally slap on some postshave balm out of bottle c), which I think they called 'refuel'. Where will it end?

« Reply #43 on: 19 February, 2009, 07:03:43 pm »
No they aren't but the guys working in the advertising department if Gillette etc are.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #44 on: 19 February, 2009, 11:33:35 pm »
I spent 25 or so years shaving with my dad's old Gillette safety razor. Passed it on to my son a couple of years ago. I now use whatever multibladed things Aldi sells. They last for ages.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #45 on: 20 February, 2009, 07:34:38 am »
I used to have an electric razor but it really didn't shave me that well, so I changed to a gillette type razor, took a while to get used too, but it's a ugh better shave than electric IMO.

Does anyone else wonder if Gilette are going to stop making some of their cheaper razors as their current ads are all based on this?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #46 on: 20 February, 2009, 08:25:35 am »

Have you read "The Best a Man can Get" by John O'Farrell?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Sir Tifiable

« Reply #47 on: 20 February, 2009, 09:03:51 am »
I've heard dipping the razor in a pot of cold water between each stroke makes it much sharper and last much longer. Is this true, or just an urban myth?

« Reply #48 on: 20 February, 2009, 09:23:02 am »
Sounds doubtful. The temperature difference between cold and hot water is only about 30*c and can't see that having much effect on steel from some kind of thermal shock point of view. It sounds like this is a myth grown out of the fact that swords used to be quenched in water during manufacture. They were really really hot before going into the water.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #49 on: 20 February, 2009, 09:25:20 am »
It would have a marginal effect over going into the (presumably) hot water you've used to wash/lather your face.  The blades are pretty crudely stamped, so the edge would expand ever so slightly in the heat, and ba 'blunter'. 
Getting there...