Author Topic: Fastest Speeds  (Read 34041 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Fastest Speeds
« Reply #125 on: 09 June, 2009, 08:56:59 am »
That's where my fastest ever (non-slipstreaming) speed was too.  Only 46 mph for me - that was scary enough!
Just noticed this - Biggsy is saying he's gone faster than 46mph

on somebody's wheel.

Gulp.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #126 on: 14 June, 2009, 07:04:45 pm »
A lorry's wheel (or tailgate), that was: 55mph.  Not physically very difficult if the vehicle accelerates slowly.  Just requires a screw loose in the brain.  I do not recommend it!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Chris S

« Reply #127 on: 14 June, 2009, 07:42:40 pm »
67.8 km/hr descending from Tilton-on-the-Hill today  :thumbsup:

Lard is a great accelerant :)

« Reply #128 on: 14 June, 2009, 09:22:37 pm »
46.1mph down Llanberis Pass on the Irish Mail included overtaking half a dozen cars!

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #129 on: 15 June, 2009, 10:28:35 am »
I managed my fastest ever descent of Broomfield Hill on Saturday - clocked at 41.5mph  :thumbsup:

« Reply #130 on: 15 June, 2009, 11:22:05 am »
I managed my fastest ever descent of Broomfield Hill on Saturday - clocked at 41.5mph  :thumbsup:

A meager 37mph so far for me this year down that hill, but most of my laps have been done when it's relatively busy and any faster would have required some dodgy overtaking. If I get up early enough to be there by 7am then I'll see what I can get.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #131 on: 15 June, 2009, 11:24:49 am »

Congrats!  All that TRAT training is coming good, and you will be some superbeing by the time you're riding :D
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #132 on: 15 June, 2009, 11:56:36 am »
OK.  I'll add my unimpressive maximums.

Fastest:
42.?  On the "Squid Ride" a few years back.  Can't remember the exact speed as that thread is lost in the Old Place.
My greatest memory of that descent was Crumbling Nick staying with me on the way down.  His legs disappeared in some sort of blur.

And
42 loads of other times.  I'm beginning to think my 'puter doesn't register above that.  It always seems to be 42

Fastest in Urban Traffic:
Very wind assisted commute.  Queensway tunnel under "Pagoda Island" in Brum.  A planned extreme effort to finally break the speed limit in a 40 mph zone.

Fastest on fully laden, 4 pannier touring set up.
36 or 38 (can't remember which)
Somewhere on the A38 heading SW - somewhere after Bristol Airport.

None of these speeds will be bettered by me.  Ever.  I've become quite useless and scared of descending in recent years.

Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #133 on: 15 June, 2009, 07:35:42 pm »
Down Britwell Hill at a mere 72 km/h (45 mph) yesterday. I got The Fear going down. Dunno why: it was a fine day, dry road, gentle breeze (into the face, slowing me down a bit). I just started thinking about blowouts, loose stones, etc. & couldn't bring myself to really go for it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #134 on: 23 June, 2009, 10:26:37 pm »
Just got back from a trip to Stroud and back ( in a round about sort of way). Managed 49.6mph on some hill near Stratford. That is a new all time record for me. (79.82kph!)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #135 on: 23 June, 2009, 11:18:32 pm »
Stratford? Near Stroud?

Stratford Park?

Wow! I've only managed 32 there. And that was drafting a bean-tinned Corsa.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #136 on: 23 June, 2009, 11:37:09 pm »
49mph down Ditchling descent into Brighton on Sunday.  I could have gone a lot faster if I hadn't been scared, too gusty sidewinds, so I braked for much of that.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #137 on: 24 June, 2009, 11:58:31 am »
Bearing in mind that the flying start sprint record for a fully faired recumbent (not at altitude) is only just over 60mph, doing this sort of speed on an upright, even on a steep hill, is unlikely. 

According to IHPVA - International Human Powered Vehicle Association the record is over 80 mph.  60 mph was broken over 20 years ago.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #138 on: 24 June, 2009, 10:04:16 pm »
Stratford? Near Stroud?

Stratford Park?

Wow! I've only managed 32 there. And that was drafting a bean-tinned Corsa.

T'was a two day trip, convoluted route. Max speed on first day on way to Stratford.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #139 on: 24 June, 2009, 11:21:38 pm »
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #140 on: 25 June, 2009, 01:57:08 pm »
Just got back from a trip to Stroud and back ( in a round about sort of way). Managed 49.6mph on some hill near Stratford. That is a new all time record for me. (79.82kph!)

Very close to my Vmax of 49.4mph/79.7km/h last month dropping from Jubilee Tower down into Quernmore.
I wish I'd realised how fast I was going (didn't have time to look at the computer  :o) because I would have tried to nudge it over 50mph and 80km/h.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #141 on: 25 June, 2009, 03:38:16 pm »
I regularly get over 45mph just down the road from me. It's a medium length, steep hill. Smooth sweeping bends and quite sheltered, so not much headwind. There are traffic lights are the bottom though, so you have to be quick on the brakes once you get past the fastest part.

46.9mph is my quickest down there so far.

It's the A6135 between Mosborough and Eckington.

Google Maps Linky

hulver

« Reply #142 on: 26 June, 2009, 08:51:14 am »
46.9mph is my quickest down there so far.

It's the A6135 between Mosborough and Eckington.

Google Maps Linky
Just did 49mph down it this morning.  ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #143 on: 26 June, 2009, 12:15:16 pm »
According to IHPVA - International Human Powered Vehicle Association the record is over 80 mph.  60 mph was broken over 20 years ago.

There's two categories - outright and low altitude - the latter uses the UCI's definition, being at an altitude < 700m.  The outright record has been set at altitude since 1985.

Since the low-altitude record was recognised as a separate category, only the Varna gang seem to have shown any interest in it.  The course for the flying 200m record makes a hell of a difference.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #144 on: 26 June, 2009, 01:00:08 pm »
The course for the flying 200m record makes a hell of a difference.

Which is why the outright record has only been broken on the same Battle Mountain course the last few times.  Very close to the maximum allowable downgrade (for a very significant speed boost), quite a smooth surface (until it was recently resurfaced?) and at altitude.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #145 on: 26 June, 2009, 08:52:51 pm »

62.8 MPH

« Reply #146 on: 28 June, 2009, 09:24:50 pm »
62.8mph - Wow!  I thought I was doing well today getting 53.6 mph descending the north side of Fleet Moss towards Hawes, North Yorkshire.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #147 on: 29 June, 2009, 12:51:13 pm »
The course for the flying 200m record makes a hell of a difference.

Which is why the outright record has only been broken on the same Battle Mountain course the last few times.  Very close to the maximum allowable downgrade (for a very significant speed boost), quite a smooth surface (until it was recently resurfaced?) and at altitude.

Resurfacing is underway e'en as I type.  A few years ago it got a new coat of tar to fill in some of the worst cracks, but this was so thin we could still read the numbers we'd sprayed onto the surface the previous year!  It was held to be something of a miracle that Sam set a new record last year and was probably due to the fact that the conditions on the Thursday evening were the best I'd seen in five visits.

I have already starting booking things for visit #6 in September.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Chris S

« Reply #148 on: 29 June, 2009, 03:19:49 pm »
New PB for me this weekend - 81.7km/hr, probably descending Holme Moss toward Glossop on the Midlander 300 audax. That was the only point in the ride that I really "let it go" for any long period of time on the descents - most English roads are just too bumpy.

hulver

« Reply #149 on: 19 July, 2009, 10:22:32 am »
50.6 mph this morning, decending from Beeley Hell bank to Holymoorside.  :thumbsup: