Author Topic: WARTY Solstice Ride  (Read 36521 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: WARTY Solstice Ride
« Reply #225 on: 21 June, 2009, 10:12:36 pm »
The weather was lovely, we all assembled to time, and apart from the Garmin and me failing to calibrate our internal compasses (the direction arrow was actually upside down and moving backwards for the first couple of hundred yards) we eventually found the right road with Glastonbury Tor gradually inching towards us. The 13 miles or so into Glastonbury were almost entirely flat. We found the curry house, booked a table for 8 and then demolished a large quantity of food. At around 8 p.m. we started to climb the Tor, with bikes, but this particular obstacle course proved to be too much for some and they occupied a vantage point some way below the summit but nevertheless with fantastic views to the south and west.

At the top I found, apart from many and varied specimens of humanity and a wide selection of their musical instruments, a circular steel plate pointing out all kinds of landmarks: Hinkley Point nuclear power station, Exmoor, Brent Knoll, near Brean Sands, the Brecon Beacons, the Festival tents being erected... this was my first visit to the Tor and I certainly intend that it should not be my last. We celebrated by brewing a cup of tea and TimO, who suddenly discovered that his rear brake block count was only 50% of what it should have been, was fortunately restored to a full complement when Rower40 waved the missing piece aloft in triumph. This was not before Tim and the bike lost control when walking down an especially steep bit as Tim discovered that having a working front brake is not a lot of help when the weight in one's rear panniers actually has caused the front wheel to be some 6" above the ground. How he stayed upright I'll never know.

We eventually found ourselves on level ground again and shortly before 10 p.m. we set off, in the same general direction as we had come, but on different roads. A barn owl flapped past and we set into a nice gentle rhythm, MacBludgeon and I lost in conversation about the vicissitudes of advancing age, when suddenly a large and solid specimen of meles meles came hurtling straight out of the reeds and sedges to my right and collided very firmly with my front wheel. I cannot actually remember whether the wheel went over the unfortunate beast, but it yelped, I shouted and the next thing I knew was that I was picking myself up off the road whilst my assailant had disappeared into the scrub on the far side and could be heard gallumphing about. During the next hour or so we saw at least another 6 badgers crossing the road but fortunately none quite so close as that one. My injuries consisted of a bruised and slightly grazed forearm and a small cut on my right knee. Definitely worth it...

Eventually we reached the end of the levels and started to climb. There was a chevron but, unexpectedly, occasional floodlit junctions on these tiny rural roads had barriers and "Road Closed" signs manned by young men in fluorescent jackets. The first of these was no problem because we didn't want to go that way, but at the second there were three or four of these apprentice Vogons barring our intended route.

"Excuse me! Why is this road closed?"

"Because the Festival is being set up and it's our job to stop people getting in early and setting up camp."

"That's no concern of mine. On whose authority is it closed?"

"Err... the County Council I suppose. You can carry on and take the next left turn instead."

"You mean that you are manning a barricade but you have no authority to do so? What happens if I ignore you and your barrier and cycle on this road anyway?"

"You can't do that!" whereupon we proved the young man's last statement false.

The road became increasingly undulating as we progressed, in darkness broken only by an impressive array of LED power, and lots of stars. Some hills were steep, others were long, and a couple of times we stopped for cake (Pippa's fruit cake was excellent and Tim has provided some welcome sustenance as well), turned our lights out and identified constellations. There was little wind. Not far from the Longleat estate we had one especially long climb through a wood and tawny owls could be heard hooting all around us.

Lee, who was riding to meet us, made contact and somewhere near Maiden Bradley we saw him. As he approached, lit up like an oil refinery, he reminded me of Jabberwocky ("The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame...") so from that point the Nine set off in search of the Ring.

Some time around 2 a.m. Tim's rear tyre decided it was time for a breather so we had a fairly prolonged stop for that, in which more cake was consumed, extra layers were donned and Del's pump gave up the ghost. We were on our way again and before 3 a.m. we could see some signs of the dawn which was still some two hours away. Even though it was dark we could hear the staccato bursts of machine gun fire coming from the Imber range, and we could see the massive floodlights around Stonehenge which was still some eight miles away. In Chittern, Tim's tyre flattened again, but eventually we were all up and available for the final assault on Stonehenge.

We had heard that it was likely to be crowded, and after a little easy negotiation with some police officers, none of whom spoke with an Australian accent, we parked our bikes half a mile or so from the stones and some of us walked the rest of the way. Even though the sun had not yet risen, there were far more people leaving than approaching, and my photographs were from a distance. The clouds spoiled people's morning too.

Next came the assault on Salisbury Plain, and as Lee has already reported, there were warning flags where we had been told that there would not be any. We were, however, given the All Clear, but the massive noise of a Challenger Tank in full cry, just behind a fragile margin of scrub, is not guaranteed to give peace of mind, especially when at several points the tracks in the road indicated that these tanks were wont to break cover and cross the road from any angle. The other tank, parked with engines running, just to our left, its commander standing stock still above the turret, was pure, hideous menace and just for a few moments our cosy world was disturbed by a gleam of realisation of what it might be like to live in a country in which the British government has the wrong sort of interest.

The bird life, however, seemed largely undisturbed by these weapons of war, and there were skylarks everywhere above this sad but beautiful place. Whitethroats rasped out their particular song and on two occasions I heard grasshopper warblers.

I was relieved to leave the Plains behind me, and our breakfast was hearty indeed. Pippa's bagels with smoked salmon and cream cheese, some porridge, MacBludgeon's sausages and bacon sandwiches, tea, coffee and more of Pippa's cake. Someone had even had the foresight to leave a couple of functional Portaloos for our convenience. We then hurtled down a long, steep hill into the Vale of Pewsey, under the eyes of a number of inanimate white horses. Within a mile of the station, my rear tyre deflated but a team effort effected a swift repair.

When we reached Paddington, Pippa guided Del and me back to Lpoo St just in time for us to catch the 12.15.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #226 on: 21 June, 2009, 10:51:19 pm »
Thanks to Wow for arranging and leading a splendid ride.  And thanks to all for their company, conversation, food, and muscle power in lifting all those bikes over all those gates on our assault on the Tor.

I made it home at 2.30, but the hayfever  >:( prevented me sleeping.  Then tiredness won at 5ish, and I have only just regained consciousness.

I'll be re-living the journey as soon as I can find my Garmin.  But it won't have the memories of:
- arrays of LED headlights seen in my mirror (on those rare occasions when I was at the front)
- arrays of LED taillights (on those more frequent occasions when I was at the back),
- tanks at play,
- breakfast.

Thanks again.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #227 on: 22 June, 2009, 08:47:40 am »
You will all be relieved to know that I have recovered all of the pics. So anytime soon we can all enjoy looking at socks and sandals, puncture repairs, post badger attacks, and puffy, sleep deprived, faces. Watch this space!

« Reply #228 on: 22 June, 2009, 09:27:52 am »
Some of the restored pictures are here, Clicky, in a slideshow.
Full size and the rest of them will be on Picasa in a couple of hours.  :thumbsup:

Edit: Picasa pics now present, Clicky.

« Reply #229 on: 22 June, 2009, 01:24:32 pm »
My few images are here.

Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #230 on: 22 June, 2009, 02:36:50 pm »

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

« Reply #231 on: 22 June, 2009, 02:37:28 pm »
Some nice photos Wow, Del & Tim.

News just reported that 35,000 attended the Stonehenge Solstice !!!

It was an experience to witness the event but it was much nicer on my recce ride last week (when it was just me and a few Japanese tourists).

Currently tying to figure out why my phone won't let me have my piccies.

« Reply #232 on: 22 June, 2009, 03:32:23 pm »
This is the route on Bikely.  79.3 miles according to Bikely's program, which is enough for a WARTY, and plus the just over 13 miles each way I did to Paddington was definitely enough for me, my legs are still slightly worn out.  My commute was a mite slower than usual this morning.

For some very odd, and still unexplained reason, the GPX output file from SatSYNC (the Active 10's download program) stopped outputting GPX halfway across Salisbury Plain (although the XML was correctly terminated).  The data is in the Active 10, since I can view the route.  I managed to get it to output the .map file as GPX (but the resolution is poorer) and tacked the final bit onto the map from that.  It's a bit of a bodge, but there doesn't seem to be a better way to deal with it.

I'll have to email Satmap about it, it looks like an issue with the exporting process, so is probably in SatSYNC rather than the Active 10 itself.  I may yet get the full file out, if a later update to SatSYNC deals with it.

LEE

« Reply #233 on: 22 June, 2009, 04:57:33 pm »
Some piccies from the phone

« Reply #234 on: 22 June, 2009, 06:16:45 pm »
Del seems to be the only one who got a shot of all of us from the start. This is understandable, since that was the only time anyone used a camera with a self timer.  Apologies to LEE, who not joining until later, missed out on this opportunity.

Image gamma slightly tweaked, and cropped.
zzpza, TimO, delthebike, PippaG, mistral, MacBludgeon, rower40, wowbagger.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #235 on: 22 June, 2009, 08:58:41 pm »
Is Del the GruB-a-like in the breakfast picture?

By a strange coincidence, Star Trek: Nemesis was on TV last night  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #236 on: 22 June, 2009, 11:19:11 pm »
Ah Lee, you're a cruel man, yes that's me sleeping like a baby, it was the last bit of cake that pushed me over the edge
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #237 on: 23 June, 2009, 02:17:26 am »
Just driven past Stonehenge.  Nobody there. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #238 on: 23 June, 2009, 08:42:03 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xlf5ucFanpY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Xlf5ucFanpY&rel=1</a>
Getting there...

mickdent

« Reply #239 on: 23 June, 2009, 09:36:25 pm »
Had a hectic few days following the Solstice outing, so bit late posting.

Thanks to all involved for making this such an enjoyable and memorable trip. I needn’t go through all the highlights as others have already done so more eloquently and succinctly than I could.

My personal distance, topped and tailed to and fro various stations totalled a mighty 198km :smug:

But I must remind myself not to try to keep up with Lee, following all those over night km’s it’s really not advisable to add an extra 40 (at a fair lick, and including climbing cracking ridge that even Ditchling would respect :o).  I told him to keep the pace 25kmph or less – his Garmin must be playing up as it was more like 30 most of the way :-\.  Good fun though ;D.

Looking forward to seeing some of you good people on next fnrttc ;)