Author Topic: Touring tyres on full-sus bike?  (Read 2148 times)

Touring tyres on full-sus bike?
« on: 24 April, 2009, 07:13:55 pm »
Hello,  might I call upon the collected wisdom of the forum?

I've a Nazca Paseo (weight unladen 2,375 tonnes or thereabouts). It's similar to the original Street Machine, in that it's a 20/26, suspended front and rear. At the moment it's fitted with Stelvios, but in a few weeks I plan to tour with it, carrying a reasonable (but not excessive) amount of camping gear.

Conventional thinking suggests going for heavier tyres, but I wondered whether full-suspension offsets this need at all? After all, the suspension would be cushioning the load, rather than leaving the job to the tyres? So, would I get away with using the Stelvios (1.1" I think)?

I'm sure, though, that I'm missing some snag. Many thanks to anyone who can point it out.

Steve

Tim

Re: Touring tyres on full-sus bike?
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2009, 07:36:48 pm »
As a streetmachine rider I've taken this from the other direction - I can't see any point in putting Stelvios on the bike. I might as well use a more robust tyre as I'm not going to make a significant impression upon the ride with light weight tyres.

So I currently have armadillos on it, but as soon as I can say they're sufficiently worn out I'm returning to Marathons as the armadillos feel horrible (particularly the front - I don't feel I can trust it cornering at speed, particularly in less than perfect conditions).

I really haven't answered your question have I?

I would recommend more robust tyres to reduce the chance of flats with a full load, rather than any handling/comfort reasons.

« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2009, 08:06:19 pm »
Thanks Tim. I do see your reasoning.  I stuck the Stelvios on the Nazca as an experiment after I took them off the Fujin shortly after it arrived, and they were sitting around doing nothing but taunting me with their newness. Each day I'd go into the barn, and there they'd be, hanging from a long nail stuck into the wall. "Look how new we are," they'd say. "Look at your tatty old tyres. Compare us. Are we not more lovely?"
   I'd used Marathon Slicks before that and they were fine, but they got a bit worn. I did notice a significant speed boost after the change, and I quickly grew to like the Stelvios. But my main question is one of economy of purse rather than economy of effort. The Stelvios, you see, are already owned by me, whereas the original Marathons are worn and suspect, and all other tyres are presently owned by such people as Herr Schwalbe and M. Michelin, and they won't part with them unless I give them money. While pondering this (the ways of commerce have always confused me, which is probably why I'm always skint), I came up with the "theory" above - that full suspension might rule out the need to have bigger tyres, and indeed, to pay for them.

I apologise if I misled you. Basically I'm a tight git, and loking to remain so. I do like the Stelvios, though (though not on the unsuspended Fujin, where they play havoc with my neck).

Thanks again

Steve

byegad

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2009, 04:46:45 pm »
My speed-Pro has Stelvios on it at the moment, it previously had Primo comets.
As for the Stelvios:-
Fast? Yes!
P8nct8r8 proof? No!
A Touring tyre? Definitely not, in my opinion. They are just too fragile.

« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2009, 05:50:10 pm »
I'd agree they're not touted as the most resistant tyres around. I'll probably have to buy something big and reliable. Thanks for your post.

My speed-Pro has Stelvios on it at the moment, it previously had Primo comets.
As for the Stelvios:-
Fast? Yes!
P8nct8r8 proof? No!
A Touring tyre? Definitely not, in my opinion. They are just too fragile.

Tiger

« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2009, 03:40:04 pm »
Marathin slicks are lovely on the front. And vredstein Moiree are lovely on the back.