Author Topic: Reports are coming in that Michael Jackson has died  (Read 18007 times)

Re: Reports are coming in that Michael Jackson has died
« Reply #75 on: 26 June, 2009, 11:43:36 am »
Some of the comments on here have been quite illustrative about their authors. One or two, well one actually, I am not surprised at. There comes a time when we heed a certain call when the world must come together as one.

This place isn't what it used to be anymore.

« Reply #76 on: 26 June, 2009, 11:46:13 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cElMz7qEwGA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/cElMz7qEwGA&rel=1</a>

I'll never ever forget that afro. A genuine one that'll never ever be beaten.
It even pulled in lesser afros with its gravitational pull.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #77 on: 26 June, 2009, 11:47:40 am »
Yes.  I'd hate to think I might upset a grieving Michael Jackson fan.  

heh. not quite what I meant, but anyhoo...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #78 on: 26 June, 2009, 11:51:31 am »
There comes a time when we heed a certain call when the world must come together as one.

Is this 2012, when the world is due to end?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #79 on: 26 June, 2009, 11:59:03 am »
I would suggest the MJ lost a lot of peoples sympathy vote with his alledged kiddy fiddling.

Alleged. That's the key word. He was acquitted in court. In the eyes of the law, that means he's innocent. Do you feel it acceptable to victimise someone who was the subject of unproven allegations?

I know.  :(
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #80 on: 26 June, 2009, 12:08:29 pm »
Some of the comments on here have been quite illustrative about their authors. One or two, well one actually, I am not surprised at. There comes a time when we heed a certain call when the world must come together as one.

Where's Jarvis Cocker when you need him?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #81 on: 26 June, 2009, 12:12:29 pm »
I think Jarvis' comment was very apposite.
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #82 on: 26 June, 2009, 12:14:18 pm »
Has Gordoom Brown made a statement yet?  He's normally fairly quick to jump on the celebrity bandwagon...  :demon:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tiger

« Reply #83 on: 26 June, 2009, 12:40:48 pm »
There comes a time when we heed a certain call when the world must come together as one.

Is this 2012, when the world is due to end?

What - come together as one around Whacko Jacko?  I do hope not - he is just a bloke that died who was raving mad, and did some popular pop songs 25 years ago.
He should be alowed the dignity of a quiet despatch but I fear he may be about to do 'the Diana/Elvis' thing and become a god. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #84 on: 26 June, 2009, 12:44:15 pm »
His time in the limelight has been about twice as long as either Elvis or Diana.  But that hasn't stopped people from raising him up as an idol to worship in the meantime.
Getting there...

Spinners

« Reply #85 on: 26 June, 2009, 12:45:20 pm »
Can I be the first to pay my condolences without taking the piss?

A true musical legend, "genius" seems appropriate given the popularity of his work,  has died.

Edit.  He's an easy target for shit jokes made by the wanna-be-funny but, in all seriousness, you'd be making jokes about an abused child who did remarkable things.

Spot on mate.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #86 on: 26 June, 2009, 12:49:54 pm »
This about sums it up for me:
Warming Up | Richard Herring.com

Apparently, Steven Wells (ex NME hack) has also died this week, aged 49.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #87 on: 26 June, 2009, 01:16:13 pm »
I'll admit my first thought for a second or so, was that he was doing a Hotblack Desiato in order to avoid doing the concerts.

A troubled genius who was flawed by his upbringing.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #88 on: 26 June, 2009, 01:40:52 pm »
Do you lot make fun of every death?

We will be of yours, if you don't watch your step ...  ;)

<OT>
I'm a regular, and that's the single least funny comment I've seen somebody make on here in a  long time.  It certainly doesn't smack of excellence, whatever the intent.  Just appending a smiley didn't make it amusing.
</OT>

We now return you to your scheduled post mortem character assassination...

L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #89 on: 26 June, 2009, 02:15:13 pm »
So I guess cross-posting pictures from b3ta.com to here wouldn't be appreciated? 

« Reply #90 on: 26 June, 2009, 02:25:41 pm »
I would suggest the MJ lost a lot of peoples sympathy vote with his alledged kiddy fiddling.

Alleged. That's the key word. He was acquitted in court. In the eyes of the law, that means he's innocent. Do you feel it acceptable to victimise someone who was the subject of unproven allegations?

No, that is why I used the word (albeit badly spelt).  My response was to the previous poster who said he lost his sympathy for David Carradine because he died having a quick wank in a hotel bedroom.  No other parties were involved.  Should we therefore victimise people for their private solo sexual behaviour?

« Reply #91 on: 26 June, 2009, 02:27:16 pm »

Hang around to see the party that will ensue when Mrs Thatcher goes...

« Reply #92 on: 26 June, 2009, 02:27:40 pm »

No, that is why I used the word (albeit badly spelt).  My response was to the previous poster who said he lost his sympathy for David Carradine because he died having a quick wank in a hotel bedroom.  No other parties were involved.  Should we therefore victimise people for their private solo sexual behaviour?

Appologies; I erroneously inferred that you were one of the "lots of people" whose sympathy vote had been lost due to the allegations.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

ChrisO

« Reply #93 on: 26 June, 2009, 02:47:52 pm »

Hang around to see the party that will ensue when Mrs Thatcher goes...

[coffee splutter]

cleans keyboard

[/coffee splutter]

It's horses for courses innnit... personally I don't think there's anything particularly nasty in this thread, and I'm sure there's a lot worse out there as we speak.

On the other hand if someone joins a thread about someone's death or something else that clearly affects people emotionally and makes smartarse comments then don't be surprised if people take offence.

They have as much right to be offended as you have to offend.

Being surprised or indignant at their objections is just attempting to out-trump them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #94 on: 26 June, 2009, 05:56:42 pm »
What I object to his the guy's monopolisation of the media, whether in life or death. It's the odious cult of celebrity and he is probably the world's most adept player at that - not a talented musician, Gonzo, but someone who used a particular brand of music to keep himself in the limelight to the detriment of more important issues. He is the second part of bread & circuses.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #95 on: 26 June, 2009, 06:18:35 pm »
I noticed this morning that BBC News ran with the footer/banner:
"MJ is dead"

sometime this afternoon they switched to
"MJ has died"

I can't believe they went with the earlier wording for so long ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #96 on: 26 June, 2009, 06:35:30 pm »
...... He lost my sympathy vote once he stepped into the wardrobe and got his knob out.

*makes mental note not to share what really happend at Kings YHA that night in May while LEE lay there asleep *

H

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #97 on: 26 June, 2009, 08:12:10 pm »

FWIW, I think he was talented but misguided.  He didn't change anything, though he managed to ride the Zeitgeist very effectively and for longer than most.

Oh, I don't know about not changing anything. There was quite a bit on the news today about the influence he had on MTV, which had almost exclusively played white rock music until MJ's solo career. He was the first black megastar and lots of people say he went a long way to making black music and even black people acceptable in white American culture.

The news programmes tonight were showing clips of him throughout his life - starting with him auditioning for Motown as a small child, all the way through from Rockin' Robin to Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough to Thriller and beyond. It made me cry a little bit, seeing such a beautiful, talented black man who looks so joyful in his performances turning into a white plastic fuckup squeaking "what about trees?"

Look at him -

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VfJu_Bom2sA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/VfJu_Bom2sA&rel=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lD2OsUcgb00&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/lD2OsUcgb00&rel=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-16fDpOW948&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-16fDpOW948&rel=1</a>

he just looks so happy and joyful, and look at his dancing. He changed contemporary dance forever. And his flares were grooooovy.

Bob Geldof said in his autobiography that when he went over to the US to assist them with their Band Aid thing, all the singers and musicians there were tuning up - using MJ's voice as the note to tune off.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #98 on: 26 June, 2009, 08:21:27 pm »
I think he was a remarkable popular musician.

Consumed by his nurturing, as opposed to Elvis Presley who was nurtured by his consuming.
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #99 on: 26 June, 2009, 08:48:36 pm »
Did he change contemporary dance?  There isn't a single move he pulled that James Brown hadn't done years before (and many older than that)
Getting there...