Author Topic: LEL - Hazard, Traffic Lights At Elvington  (Read 1642 times)

LEL - Hazard, Traffic Lights At Elvington
« on: 12 July, 2009, 09:01:46 pm »
Rode both ways on this section of the route on Saturday, this is at about 365K Northbound & 352K South

For those of you unfamiliar this is where the B1228 crosses the river Derwent is a one wide lane bridge with a bend with traffic lights 250M apart,

They go from red to green & back to amber in 30-40 seconds, and if you go through  just as they change to amber, they will be green at the other end after another 30-40 Seconds,

I followed two cars through when heading to York, that had been waiting for the lights to change, by the time we got into the village the lights had changed in the opposite direction. at least by then we were on a straight bit of road.

Going the other way I had to wait, just before the bridge until a car started coming up behind after another cycle as you can't see the waiting? traffic over the humped bridge and around the bend.

I notice that horseriders have a button to delay the lights, you will have to be >3M tall to use it though.

I think a letter to the York Highways department could produce results, any volunteers? point out that you need to cycle at  over 30Kph to get through the lights safely

There is a good view on Google earth, anyone able to post a link?

Re: Hazard, Traffic Lights At Elvington
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:08:47 pm »
I've been across there loads of times and never had any problem with the timing of the lights.  I wonder if they've changed them, but last time I was across there a couple of weeks ago there was queues on both sides and I had more than enough time.

The roads through there are bloody awful though, all uneven and repaired potholes

« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:21:10 pm »
A,

Perhaps, with lighter traffic the timing changes, wait for a traffic engineer to get on the board,

You are right about the roads, I was on a tandem with 35C tyres & very glad of them, I think it is just as bad as the Eskdalemuir section, at least there you can use the whole road (most of the time) & pick a line.
There was one trench right across the road, we just had to crash through it.

I have changed my wheel & tyre selection for LEL on the strength of that

A.

« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:51:43 pm »
Used the bridge weekend before last with no problems.But we did average30kph from a standing start  ;)