Author Topic: Mobile phone driver  (Read 10390 times)

Mobile phone driver
« on: 30 April, 2008, 03:12:29 pm »
Now this is encouraging news!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7375432.stm

Keep those helmet cameras rolling chaps!  Don't know if you remember from the old place, but I recently got two drivers on video and reported them to their companies:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CjsUmlBsfDY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CjsUmlBsfDY&rel=1</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PbY0LLT4K7E&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/PbY0LLT4K7E&rel=1</a>
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
Re: Mobile phone driver
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2008, 03:17:38 pm »
indeed. makes me consider actually wearing a helmet just for this reason
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2008, 03:18:07 pm »
If you get caught your car should be sent to the crushers :demon:

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2008, 03:19:06 pm »

If you get caught, your balls should be sent to the crushers - never mind your car.  :demon:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2008, 03:20:48 pm »

You don't actually need a helmet to have a helmet camera.  Mine's mounted on my handlebars.

::-)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5 on: 30 April, 2008, 03:22:33 pm »
My camera arrived today. I'll see what I can record on my way home tonight.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2008, 03:23:36 pm »

If you get caught, your balls should be sent to the crushers - never mind your car.  :demon:

I can't believe you would actually support such a policy, Regulator!  To ask each local council to maintain a car crushing facility would be a shocking waste of taxpayer money.

What's wrong with just using a pair of bricks?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2008, 03:40:29 pm »
Would the Police accept helmetcam evidence?

Why am I asking?  I know I've pointed out lawbreaking in front of their eyes, and they've just shrugged. ::-)
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2008, 03:56:51 pm »

I can't believe you would actually support such a policy, Regulator!  To ask each local council to maintain a car crushing facility would be a shocking waste of taxpayer money.

It hurts like hell if the Official Crusher Of The 'nads gets his (or her) thumb caught between them.

b-boom tish!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Regulator

« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2008, 04:07:08 pm »

It hurts like hell if the Official Crusher Of The 'nads gets his (or her) thumb caught between them.

b-boom tish!

It's never hurt when I've got my thumbs caught between someones 'nads....  :P

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2008, 09:46:26 am »
It's never hurt when I've got my thumbs caught between someones 'nads....  :P

I do not vish to know zis.  Kindly leaf zer bunker.

;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

spen666

« Reply #11 on: 01 May, 2008, 11:26:09 am »

This is sex discrimination as its most overy and ugly

Regulator

« Reply #12 on: 01 May, 2008, 11:51:51 am »

This is sex discrimination as its most overy and ugly

Don't you mean its most "...ovary and ugly..."   :P

Green Party Councillor

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #13 on: 01 May, 2008, 12:41:19 pm »
Somewhere an ugly nerd has seen people  losing their licences by accidentally drifting into using their phone six times in an hour.....and his life is being changed as we speak.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #14 on: 01 May, 2008, 12:50:14 pm »
Somewhere an ugly nerd has seen people  losing their licences by accidentally drifting into using their phone six times in an hour.....and his life is being changed as we speak.

not www.safespeak.co.uk ??

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #15 on: 01 May, 2008, 06:07:48 pm »

You don't actually need a helmet to have a helmet camera.  Mine's mounted on my handlebars.

::-)

One thing that really stands out about your YouTube videos, Mike, is the anti-cycling comments from the clue-free. Their hostile and often barely literate comments and the reasoned way you and other aware cyclists answer them provides a stark contrast. It is chilling to think that these people are out there driving cars, buses and lorries.

The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #16 on: 01 May, 2008, 06:08:57 pm »
The Daily Bigot (left lying in the office) had a front page about "milking the motorist" which contained the immortal words "when you add in the number of motorists trapped by the police"
The tone of the article is clear: people don't break the law, they are persecuted and "trapped". I am certain they must have taken a similar attitude to breath tests way back when.  Motorists are never to blame, which begs the question: should these incompetents be allowed licences in the first place?

Oddly, but typical in the Mailoverse, there is a later article in favour of a new scheme to fit cameras into the poles of "lollipop ladies" because of, er, nastiness from drivers.....

Dave

« Reply #17 on: 01 May, 2008, 06:18:46 pm »
The Daily Bigot (left lying in the office) had a front page about "milking the motorist" which contained the immortal words "when you add in the number of motorists trapped by the police"
The tone of the article is clear: people don't break the law, they are persecuted and "trapped". I am certain they must have taken a similar attitude to breath tests way back when.  Motorists are never to blame, which begs the question: should these incompetents be allowed licences in the first place?

Oddly, but typical in the Mailoverse, there is a later article in favour of a new scheme to fit cameras into the poles of "lollipop ladies" because of, er, nastiness from drivers.....

That, I think, is because there are two sorts of motorist - the ones who just want to be allowed to 'hoon', (sorry, 'drive at a speed that they think is safe') and the 'chavs'/'numpties'/'scum' who would be nasty to crossing wardens.

The 'hooners' appear to have convinced themselves that they couldn't possibly do any harm to anyone by driving at a, umm, safe speed...

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #18 on: 01 May, 2008, 06:20:32 pm »
It may be urban myth, but I did hear somewhere that the black line in the middle of the classic lollipop sign was originally a mini blackboard, to write down the registration numbers of cars driven badly near the school crossing.

Name and shame I say.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #19 on: 01 May, 2008, 06:25:58 pm »
*Feels extremely flattered*  Thanks Dave!!

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #20 on: 01 May, 2008, 06:53:44 pm »
Still legal in Sweden and now GPS-system are the new "must have" making things even more dangerous! 
Politicians and traffic authority say a ban is of no use as police has no way of caching the offenders. Never stopped them from intreducing a mandatory safetybelt law and so on so wtf I'd say! >:(

Have been in several incident over the years. A couple of month ago I was hit  in a crossing by a driver with a mobilephone to her ear and attention god knows where. I had my eyes on here cause she was crawling along but I couldn't make eye contact due to the low light. But as she stopped in front of the combined pedestrian and bike crossing I got on my way.

Suddenly she drove right into me, not at great speed but still! Even though everything happened very slowly she didn't register that I was in front of her, laying across the bonnet until I pounded the windshield.
Somehow her asking for my excuse didn't register either...! :demon:
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

« Reply #21 on: 01 May, 2008, 09:19:58 pm »
I see so many drivers on the phone, in particular van and small truck drivers, it is unbelievable.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

gordon taylor

« Reply #22 on: 01 May, 2008, 09:28:21 pm »
I see so many drivers on the phone, in particular van and small truck drivers, it is unbelievable.

Even with 165,000 caught and prosecuted in 2006 (England and Wales only,) it doesn't seem to make much difference to their mindset.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7375432.stm

« Reply #23 on: 01 May, 2008, 09:48:27 pm »
I appreciate that there is a fair amount of information in the motoring offences bulletin that has just been published but I still don't understand why it has taken 16 months to publish these figures.

bobajobrob

« Reply #24 on: 01 May, 2008, 10:17:52 pm »
One thing that really stands out about your YouTube videos, Mike, is the anti-cycling comments from the clue-free. Their hostile and often barely literate comments and the reasoned way you and other aware cyclists answer them provides a stark contrast. It is chilling to think that these people are out there driving cars, buses and lorries.

Youtube comments are mostly written by idiots, it's a well known fact. I think BM does an excellent job of tirelessly correcting the misguided on the bus incident clip. It's amazing how many people fail to grasp the simple fact that the bus lane is for cycles too.