Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 3003367 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #18725 on: 01 April, 2015, 09:41:41 pm »
My mother had the habit of hot washing my socks, which always ended up to small for me despite originally being Men's 'Size 9-11'.

I think M&S men's socks are more heat-resistant nowadays. David's socks don't shrink at 40C.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18726 on: 01 April, 2015, 10:15:24 pm »
Yebbut 40 used to be considered cold. Your mother's hot wash was probably 60 or 70. Or maybe not, but the principle stands.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18727 on: 01 April, 2015, 11:36:26 pm »
It's that difficult tradeoff between destroying synthetics, and making sure the bacteria are nice and clean...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18728 on: 02 April, 2015, 04:54:35 pm »
There's probably less synthetic material in general (non-sporty) clothing now than there was in the 1970s, but there's a trend to use lower temps for cotton. It's about energy and bills, not clean bugs. Or so we're told.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #18729 on: 02 April, 2015, 09:43:57 pm »
Thank you to the nice gentleman on the Bournemouth to Waterloo train this evening who refused To pay his fare.  Nice to know that you can afford some very nice eyewear and sport a luxury leather holdall but won't pay your excess fare. Thus causing british transport police being called and delaying everyone on the train. Knobhead.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

« Reply #18730 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:09:09 pm »
One thing I've always wondered - do biological laundry detergents kill bacteria any better than non-bio ones? As someone who's just had ten days of sickly toddlers this is of greater salience than normal; thankfully sheets and towels are generally ok at 60C or higher...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18731 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:21:54 pm »
I suspect the detergent kills them before the enzymes get to do anything.

« Reply #18732 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:23:25 pm »
If in doubt, you could always bung in some of that low temp bug killer stuff e.g.

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/fmcg/dettol-launches-antibacterial-laundry-cleanser/348905.article
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #18733 on: 06 April, 2015, 11:07:18 am »
Discovery channel, stop showing trailers for "Monsters Inside Me"*

It doesn't make me want to watch it, in fact it makes me just want to turn your whole channel off, completely.

*Yes, it is really about what you might be thinking it is about, worms, parasites etc etc.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #18734 on: 06 April, 2015, 02:36:41 pm »
Discovery Channel. May we have some factual programmes again please?

Anything has to be better than American Blue Collar Gobshites Trying To Get Rich, which seems to be the basis for just about every 'new' series...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #18735 on: 06 April, 2015, 08:40:05 pm »
All joking aside, I am becoming a tad pissed off with leg situation after falling down a deep cattle grid in Northumberlandshire a month ago. Having dealt with the infection of the leg, I still have a painfull knee area with liquid existing beneath skin to the near side of the shin together with an intermmitent sharp pain. In addition, the black and blue heel has now disappeared but I now have a painful swollen instep which is completely puzzling, although one apparent explanation for which, could be a stress fracture. I did have winter boots on at the time. I am not normally a wimp and have not been to the doctors for years prior to this.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #18736 on: 06 April, 2015, 09:44:42 pm »
I don't blame you for being pissed off.  Who wouldn't be?

Did you pull a ligament in your knee or anything?
Milk please, no sugar.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #18737 on: 06 April, 2015, 09:48:18 pm »
Effing Google+!  Stop "enhancing" my photos, you bastards!  I didn't ask you to, and what's more, I spent some time with today's batch, in Lightroom, getting them exactly how I wanted them.  Therefore they do NOT bloody well need "enhancing", whatever it is you think needs to be done with them, it bloody well doesn't, so kindly fuck off and leave my photos alone!  I had to spend some time "de-enhancing" them, one at a time....
Wombat

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18738 on: 06 April, 2015, 10:00:12 pm »
All joking aside, I am becoming a tad pissed off with leg situation after falling down a deep cattle grid in Northumberlandshire a month ago. Having dealt with the infection of the leg, I still have a painfull knee area with liquid existing beneath skin to the near side of the shin together with an intermmitent sharp pain. In addition, the black and blue heel has now disappeared but I now have a painful swollen instep which is completely puzzling, although one apparent explanation for which, could be a stress fracture. I did have winter boots on at the time. I am not normally a wimp and have not been to the doctors for years prior to this.

That doesn't sound good. It's a while since the Berwick weekend. I was hoping you'd be all healed up by now. I hope you've been back with the new symptoms. It's not being a wimp seeing the doctor (if anything I have a habit of wimping out and not seeing mine).
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

tiermat

« Reply #18739 on: 07 April, 2015, 04:58:00 pm »
This may have been done before.

Dear $FACEBOOK_FRIENDS before reposting "useful" posts, try verifying them first.

I blocked or removed a few friends due to the bad science posts they insisted on reposting during the Ebola scare.

Today's is not as serious but still, fundamentally, flawed.  FWIW it's the one about using cruise control in the wet.

Snopes says it's true. Science says it isn't, or it may not be...http://www.motoring.com.au/advice/2006/cruise-control-and-aquaplaning-the-facts-7413
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18740 on: 07 April, 2015, 05:07:20 pm »
I'm fairly sure I've seen the advice not to use CC in the wet in at least one motor-car's  TFM but ignored it for being Clearly Bollocks.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #18741 on: 07 April, 2015, 08:01:32 pm »
This may have been done before.

Dear $FACEBOOK_FRIENDS before reposting "useful" posts, try verifying them first.

I blocked or removed a few friends due to the bad science posts they insisted on reposting during the Ebola scare.

Today's is not as serious but still, fundamentally, flawed.  FWIW it's the one about using cruise control in the wet.

Snopes says it's true. Science says it isn't, or it may not be...http://www.motoring.com.au/advice/2006/cruise-control-and-aquaplaning-the-facts-7413

Sounds like bollocks to me. Even if CC could cause the wheel drive to accelerate, that would not make the car "take off like an airplane". Nor would it actually make the car speed up.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #18742 on: 08 April, 2015, 02:11:00 pm »
I'm fairly sure I've seen the advice not to use CC in the wet in at least one motor-car's  TFM but ignored it for being Clearly Bollocks.

The Americans, and Canadians I think, being early adopters of cruise control, managed to make some totally shit systems that would either accelerate when the back end lost grip, or just fail to back off the throttle fast enough. Add in cars that don't corner without written notice in triplicate submitted a fortnight in advance, auto boxes and too much power, and you have a situation where cruise controls have contributed to accidents.

IIRC, parts of America and Canada have, as a result, banned cruise control use at certain times. Car handbooks are likely to advise against breaking the law.

The piece in http://www.motoring.com.au/advice/2006/cruise-control-and-aquaplaning-the-facts-7413 includes some real bollocks:-
Modern cars take their speedo reading from the driveshaft or transmission
. All modern cars (post 2004 in Europe) have to have ABS, so they have to have a speed reading device on each wheel. Some combination of the wheel speeds is what is used for the speedometer and cruise control.

Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18743 on: 08 April, 2015, 03:08:57 pm »
IIRC, parts of America and Canada have, as a result, banned cruise control use at certain times. Car handbooks are likely to advise against breaking the law.

Interesting.  Never seen a roadside sign in USAnia forbidding CC.  And I don't have the Mudstang's manual on my fondleslab any more.

The piece in http://www.motoring.com.au/advice/2006/cruise-control-and-aquaplaning-the-facts-7413 includes some real bollocks:-
Modern cars take their speedo reading from the driveshaft or transmission
. All modern cars (post 2004 in Europe) have to have ABS, so they have to have a speed reading device on each wheel. Some combination of the wheel speeds is what is used for the speedometer and cruise control.

As long as the speed sensor is downstream of the diff it's effectively measuring wheel speed so it would make sense to put it somewhere less exposed to the elements.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #18744 on: 08 April, 2015, 08:19:02 pm »
Autoglass, Gavin may be a nice man, but it doesn't look like I'll find out.
You are my insurance company's "preferred" - i.e. only - supplier. If I go with anyone else the insewerance will only pay a token payment towards it, that won't be worth the increased premiums over the years.
So I call you. The first call drops, well after I've given all my contact details, but do you call back? No.
So I call you again, get bored sitting in the queue for 15 minutes and book online instead, for fitting in three days time (the earliest slot). That was yesterday. This morning I get a call to confirm details, and am told that actually the first available fitting slot in my area is in almost three weeks time. We try a few different areas where I can get the car to (apparently Autoglass are closing most of their depots so I have to have mobile fitting, but I do have flexibility to work in geographically diverse offices so can try places hundreds of miles apart). Then the system says that the windscreen is no longer available (presumably someone else booked it), so I'm told it has to be escalated and expect a phone call in 2-3 hours. This is for Mrs H's Mini FFS, not something exotic, unusual or ancient.

That call didn't come.
Two local companies can fit the screen within a couple of days. Looking at the Autoglass website, it seems that many people are complaining about 3-5 week lead times to get a new windscreen fitted.

In what world is this acceptable? How on earth does your company survive with such shitty customer "service". Oh yes, it's because you've stitched us all up with exclusive deals with the insurance companies, so you don't give a damn about people driving round in unroadworthy cars as you have a captive market and are keeping your fitters 100% occupied (rather than hiring some more to cope with reasonable customer expectations).

Luckily I can afford to just pay the local company to do it, but why the hell should I be £150 out of pocket (the difference taking into account glass excess) because of you?

« Reply #18745 on: 09 April, 2015, 08:04:27 pm »
Does your insurance run to a curtesy car while yours isn't fit to drive? That might prompt them to do something about the delay.

tiermat

« Reply #18746 on: 10 April, 2015, 11:28:51 am »
Autoglass, Gavin may be a nice man, but it doesn't look like I'll find out.
You are my insurance company's "preferred" - i.e. only - supplier. If I go with anyone else the insewerance will only pay a token payment towards it, that won't be worth the increased premiums over the years.
So I call you. The first call drops, well after I've given all my contact details, but do you call back? No.
So I call you again, get bored sitting in the queue for 15 minutes and book online instead, for fitting in three days time (the earliest slot). That was yesterday. This morning I get a call to confirm details, and am told that actually the first available fitting slot in my area is in almost three weeks time. We try a few different areas where I can get the car to (apparently Autoglass are closing most of their depots so I have to have mobile fitting, but I do have flexibility to work in geographically diverse offices so can try places hundreds of miles apart). Then the system says that the windscreen is no longer available (presumably someone else booked it), so I'm told it has to be escalated and expect a phone call in 2-3 hours. This is for Mrs H's Mini FFS, not something exotic, unusual or ancient.

That call didn't come.
Two local companies can fit the screen within a couple of days. Looking at the Autoglass website, it seems that many people are complaining about 3-5 week lead times to get a new windscreen fitted.

In what world is this acceptable? How on earth does your company survive with such shitty customer "service". Oh yes, it's because you've stitched us all up with exclusive deals with the insurance companies, so you don't give a damn about people driving round in unroadworthy cars as you have a captive market and are keeping your fitters 100% occupied (rather than hiring some more to cope with reasonable customer expectations).

Luckily I can afford to just pay the local company to do it, but why the hell should I be £150 out of pocket (the difference taking into account glass excess) because of you?

Similarly, the ongoing saga of the C-Max windscreen continues. Guy comes out yesterday to fix, again, the rain sensor. " That shouldn't be just stuck on with double sided tape" says he and promises me a call back within an hour regarding a full screen replacement. 25 hours later I call them, only to be told that no notes are on record and that they warranty department needs to deal with it. Warranty department are busy, so they can't put me through, but I will get a call back. Sigh.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #18747 on: 10 April, 2015, 11:08:05 pm »
That's aFord dealer problem. Offer to reject the car unless they make it work properly . . .
VELOMANCER

tiermat

« Reply #18748 on: 11 April, 2015, 12:05:44 pm »
That's aFord dealer problem. Offer to reject the car unless they make it work properly . . .

I would have done, but the screen that has the problem is one replaced by auto glass, due to a stone chip/crack, hence not a dealer problem.

Ongoing saga, after emailing a strongly worded complaint I get a call from the depot at ~2pm saying "as the technician said to you we are trying to source a screen not made by Pilkington" WTF? 1) no such conversation took place (all he told me is that the manager would call me back within the hour, which he didn't and 2) Pilkington are the OEM suppliers of screens to Ford, so no one else will make a screen that is I) heated and ii) has a rain sensor.

At ~5pm I get a call from the warranty department saying it will be sorted on Tuesday afternoon!!!

Left hand, right hand, have you met?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #18749 on: 11 April, 2015, 12:23:18 pm »
If the rain sensor is the same type as is used on ovloVs the screen requires a optically clear film bonded to the glass and with an adhesive surface to attach the sensor to.

It's not like these things are rare and unusual these days and Ford themselves may supply the film separately for just such an eventuality. When I work at a dealership the mobile fitters carried these films with them because ovloV wouldn't supply the thing separate from the sensor.

Double sided tape? Was he wearing a stetson & boots? Was his van called Trigger?
VELOMANCER