Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 1158550 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13950 on: July 16, 2019, 11:06:52 am »
I don't suppose I should be shocked any more but really, some people are as thick as shit...

if something squeaks, you smear some grease on it - logical. :facepalm:

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #13951 on: July 16, 2019, 11:16:53 am »
Got my vacuum-cleaner trolley more or less useable. Now waiting for hose junctions & more hose to arrive.

Had to bore 7 mm holes to take castor "spikes".  Measured other old castors and found that they were all 7 mm too. Wonder if it's some kind of standard.

Funny how old castors are always either in groups of 3, groups of 4 with 3 serviceable, or odd orphan singles.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #13952 on: July 16, 2019, 12:01:27 pm »
Serviced a Pinnacle hybrid. Nothing unusual in that but this worthy had GREASED the disc brakes. It's the first time I've ever had to replace the brake discs as service items.

They've been soaking in brake cleaner and I cannot get the grease off them. The holes in the discs were full of a paté of grease and brake dust.

I don't suppose I should be shocked any more but really, some people are as thick as shit...

Yebbut - doesn't that fact keep the LBS in business? - I never ceased to be amazed at some of the bikes I see (latest example was a £7,000 eMTB that had most of Warwickshire attached to it + a totally destroyed mech and hanger .... and the bloke had "lost" the key to remove the battery, and the charger)

Rob
Does "lost" the key mean he'd never had the key, cos he'd nicked the bike?
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree

robgul

• HoECC & Cycle:End-to-End webmaster, S Warwickshire Bike Shop in Wellesbourne
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited, manages an LBS
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13953 on: July 16, 2019, 12:46:59 pm »
Serviced a Pinnacle hybrid. Nothing unusual in that but this worthy had GREASED the disc brakes. It's the first time I've ever had to replace the brake discs as service items.

They've been soaking in brake cleaner and I cannot get the grease off them. The holes in the discs were full of a paté of grease and brake dust.

Yebbut - doesn't that fact keep the LBS in business? - I never ceased to be amazed at some of the bikes I see (latest example was a £7,000 eMTB that had most of Warwickshire attached to it + a totally destroyed mech and hanger .... and the bloke had "lost" the key to remove the battery, and the charger)

Rob
Does "lost" the key mean he'd never had the key, cos he'd nicked the bike?

Nope - he's a wealthy farmer - who has 2 such bikes "his and hers" - hers was marginally less bad.

Rob

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #13954 on: July 16, 2019, 12:53:28 pm »
In that case perhaps it's "lost" in the slurry pool!
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13955 on: July 16, 2019, 02:24:27 pm »
Swapped out the shonky FruitCo Airport Express in the kitchen for the less-shonky one from upstairs.  I haz a Tunes in the kitchen again :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13956 on: July 16, 2019, 04:48:37 pm »
found the cranks on my utility bike modified by someone backing into it, whilst locked outside to a lamp post:

had to replace the left crank, chainring, chain and straighten the tabs of two spider legs. numpty driver will have to replace their rear light according to the evidence left at the scene.

Jesus! Hopefully just your crank that's knackered and not transfered any damage to the frame.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #13957 on: July 16, 2019, 04:55:53 pm »

Bet they still squeaked, too.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #13958 on: July 16, 2019, 09:51:39 pm »
Having deployed the freezer spray, you are dealing with a solid, as opposed to a semi-solid material, the former of which leaves a garden trowel unmarked.

Water stones are definitely better than oil stones - which is what I deployed previously.

Aren't the stones the same but one soaked in oil, while the other is soaked in water before use?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #13959 on: July 16, 2019, 09:55:41 pm »

Think that soaking in a lighter oil might be a better idea, then maybe fire to burn off the crud.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13960 on: July 16, 2019, 10:17:10 pm »
Jesus! Hopefully just your crank that's knackered and not transfered any damage to the frame.

no damage to the frame, thankfully

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13961 on: July 19, 2019, 07:21:33 am »
Think I may have sorted the annoying creaking clicking sound on the folder.

I tightened up the hinge QR
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13962 on: Today at 07:33:03 am »

Bet they still squeaked, too.

No. No they don't...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13963 on: Today at 07:36:59 am »

Think that soaking in a lighter oil might be a better idea, then maybe fire to burn off the crud.

With a labour rate of nominally 20 quid an hour and a disc costing around a fiver I took the executive decision to stop wasting my fucking time and mend something a bit more rewarding...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.